Discovery Gaming Community
EVE Online - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: EVE Online (/showthread.php?tid=105559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: EVE Online - Thargoid - 10-04-2013

(10-04-2013, 02:20 AM)Coin Wrote:
(10-04-2013, 12:39 AM)Alphablood1 Wrote: Simple EVE is for people that want to make something of the game they play and freelancer is for children Smile
kthnxbai

the first five minutes of my trial i spent it wildly zooming in and out, thinking that i was actually travelling. lolnope. Eve's ship controls are annoying, and its basically wow in space. freelancer is twitch-based, but eve is click-click-click.

for those of us who remember elite, freelancer is like a margarita pizza:

its basic, with cheese and tomato. However many 'toppings' eve has they have forgotten to give the pizza base, so you essentially have soup. that's fine if you like soup and have no teeth anymore, but if you wanted pizza you will find eve unfulfilling

HAHA! I love the analogies!

Speaking of Elite...

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=105569

RE: EVE Online - SystemsFailing - 10-04-2013

(10-04-2013, 02:34 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: I believe there is a free two-week trial you can get for EVE. That should be just enough to expose you to the game's simplest mechanics.

PS. Don't skip any of the tutorials.

There is even 21-day Trial, which is given via invites.

(10-04-2013, 02:20 AM)Coin Wrote: the first five minutes of my trial i spent it wildly zooming in and out, thinking that i was actually travelling. lolnope. Eve's ship controls are annoying, and its basically wow in space. freelancer is twitch-based, but eve is click-click-click.

Game contains damned load of functions and possibilities, it would be too hard to implement Freelancer-like controls there, it's impossible. As I said, it's RTS-like game. It's smooth, slow and coordinate-oriented.

It means that you can only choose objects and head to them. Players aren't allowed to simply fly somewhere. You only can fly on low speeds to where you face. It won't give you any advantages, though.

In Freelancer we mostly use Cruise to fly somewhere, in EvE people use Warps.
Warp prevention is similar to FL's cruise prevention.

Mining, bounty hunting, Mission making, trading, (industry) - it all reminds of Freelancer sometimes.

RE: EVE Online - Thargoid - 10-05-2013

Well... I've tried it for a bit.

Few negative points...
  • Point and click navigation/combat is really annoying.

• The game and its menus are really complex, annoying for a beginner, but for experienced gamers this is probably a good thing.

• Seems to me (I haven't had a PvP yet) that combat requires less skill, target someone by clicking on them, then click fire, hardly any control over your ship, is it just a case of - whoever has the most powerful ship wins? Seems like this would be the case.

• Didn't draw me in and get me all excited about playing it again within the first few hours, like Freelancer did.

• I never woke up in the morning feeling like crap because I only had 3 hours sleep (unlike Freelancer).

I was impressed with...
  • The economy, and the marketplace menus.
  • The whole business side of things, and the fact you can scam people and it's within the rules.
  • You can buy a PLEX with in game currency and play for free.

Was not overly impressed with the game as a whole but I've only been playing a few hours so maybe it will grow on me...

RE: EVE Online - Ortog - 10-05-2013

(10-05-2013, 02:47 AM)Thargoid Wrote: Seems to me (I haven't had a PvP yet) that combat requires less skill, target someone by clicking on them, then click fire, hardly any control over your ship, is it just a case of - whoever has the most powerful ship wins? Seems like this would be the case.

Couldn't be further away from the truth. There is so much involved in a fight, besides ships fittings, that is really hard to explain to somebody without any fighting experience in EvE...angular velocity, turrets tracking speed, range and ammunition, the list just goes on and on.

Suffice to say that an experienced player in a tier one frigate can , and will kill, a rookie in a faction cruiser.

RE: EVE Online - Alphablood1 - 10-05-2013

I havnt done lots of huge pvp fights in eve but as i remember in eve theres physics so not every shot is on target u can dodge if u know what to do and sone ships have avantages and disadvantages
Pvp battles have lots of strategy without good strategy ur good as dead
Eve has proper what u call it sizes and scales and everything works how it should

Freelancer everything dosnt work like it should everything is not to scale market/ecomody sucks
Only thing in freelancer that has any real use is the Role Play other than that freelancer is crap if u go down into the mechanics of things and such so whys people complain about things in eve is dumb how about play the game learn it understand it and see how its right in every category a ship game should be

U think a Battleship should be sterible by one person and the ship can do crazy turns and stuff then u know nothing of how it should be :/ really freelancer was never made to be 100% acurate it was made to be a fun little single player ship sim game not a huge multiplayer awesomeness game

Lol well rant over ^^

Have a great day

RE: EVE Online - aznremix416 - 01-04-2014

EVE is actually really fun when you get the hang of it.

This chart is basically a good representation of EVE's learning curve

http://media.desura.com/cache/images/groups/1/3/2933/thumb_940x3000/2335016192_6003c39c4c_z.jpg

But in all seriousness the beginning of the game can be a little frustrating, but if you do all the tutorials and fly with some peeps, the game gets so much more deeper and it becomes pretty fun. Don't judge the game from a 14 day trial

RE: EVE Online - Mímir - 01-04-2014

I am seriously considering reactivating. What is the new expansion like?

I always got lost playing the game, twice I've had a 3-month subscription and both times I stopped playing after 1.5-2 months - how are the epic story lines for setting?