Discovery Gaming Community
A radical idea - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: A radical idea (/showthread.php?tid=115269)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

A radical idea - Lucky Luke - 05-10-2014

Yeah, so I've been seeing how this community has been going downhill for a while, and now there are several threads about "saving FL". Since I left the game back in 4.86, I can't really say how 4.87 is working out, but... I'm suuure it's all good, considering the threads I mentioned. But enough of that!

The radical idea is to bring back 4.85 in all it's glory!

I know it might be tricky to do coz of the anticheat and stuff, but maybe it could be done using the current mod. I'll leave that issue to those who actually know their stuff. The following two quotes represent the opinion of most players that were around to experience the Golden days.

(05-03-2014, 10:14 AM)Moriarty. Wrote: the LN-RM raids, the sair raids on Bretonia, OC-Sair fights, BHG pews.

(05-03-2014, 11:35 AM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: However, I found it hard to have fun when you hardly ever meet anybody and organised actvity is hard to get. Flying on a server with ~50 players with like... 100 systems is a problem.

It needs to be streamlined, focussed on the essential part of interaction.

Bringing back 4.85 would mean:
  • Mining hotspots where all sorts of rabble and law enforcement gather.
  • Easy access between IMG and OC's
  • Easy access between Sairs and OC's
  • A rollback on the political tensions between Liberty and Order.
  • A complete removal of POB's and all the items produced there. (Cloaks, JD's etc.)
  • A complete removal of POB's. (I did that twice, coz that's one of the main issues to why people leave.)

These are things that would benefit player interaction. Bringing back 4.85 would also mean removing a lot of Gallia. I'm all for that, but I know that many want it where it is. What's undisputable is the fact that there are simply too many systems. Most of them could easily be removed without anyone even noticing it.

The Golden Days of 4.85 meant a lot of butthurt for the Admins. There was A LOT of activity in Dublin especially, and with that a lot of problems. Tau 23 and Omega 7 were also mining hotspots filled with activity. Before the mining mod was introduced, me and a couple of friends used to mine iridium in Kansas. Lots of activity around that too. There were more or less daily raids between OC-IMG, OC-Sairs. Liberty-Rheinland war was hot. All these things meant pewpew and RP, which is why I liked it so much. The endless grinding it meant to supply a POB killed all that activity in one swift blow.

So... How about it? Wanna bring back 4.85? Maybe some oldfags like me returns.

RE: A radical idea - Swallow - 05-10-2014

So we roll back, you are getting a fresh copy of .85, log in and... See ~50 people online.

I mean, if we could roll back the people, we wouldn't need to roll back mod.

RE: A radical idea - Hone - 05-10-2014

boo

Just remove 90% of all non vanilla systems, and we'll be good.

RE: A radical idea - Singularity - 05-10-2014

Appreciable concern... but a topic discussed lot lately .....

RE: A radical idea - Binski - 05-10-2014

(05-10-2014, 07:52 PM)Lucky Luke Wrote:
  • A complete removal of POB's and all the items produced there. (Cloaks, JD's etc.)
  • A complete removal of POB's. (I did that twice, coz that's one of the main issues to why people leave.)

This is where the most opposition would be from. As someone who helps on like 3 bases, and uses a cloak most of the time, I don't think these things are actually all that detrimental to disco, its just that the people that don't like them, or aren't involved or using those items, tend to voice their opinion about it at the drop of a hat. No one needs to post about their love for bases or the items they produce when things are going ok.

People that are leaving got way too involved in things and let themselves stress out about it too much.

Also I've addressed the issue of population vs. systems, and firmly believe that this game is too small, not too big. More people would be on here if it were larger in scope. Instead, they wander off to...EVE, if they want more 'space'. Plain and simply, people explore the crap out of this game within just a couple of months.

However your other points about moving mining areas around thawing relations between Liberty and the Order seems harmless and would be interesting. Removing Gallia might not get as much opposition, but would still be unfair to those who have already developed their RP around it. Same with people like myself when it comes to other things.

A few people have voiced some desire to go back to 4.85. I'm not sure why some of them don't just install it and start hosting their own server for it. That would probably be a lot easier and more realistic than basically hitting the big reset button on the last 2-3 years.

RE: A radical idea - Gaz83 - 05-10-2014

Delete Gallia, revert the omicrons back to how they were. Remove all buffer systems. Mission accomplished.

RE: A radical idea - Narcotic - 05-10-2014

Now that's a freshly new idea...

Let the past be past. As good the .85 good old times™ were, they're over. Doing a rollback - as much as I'd approve - won't do any good, but bury it. Even though .85 would be "a book I'd read again" - it won't bring more activity than we do have now.

RE: A radical idea - SnakThree - 05-10-2014

Easy solution is to remove dead end systems to minimal, remove the jump trading and bingo. More interactions without rollbacks

RE: A radical idea - Gaz83 - 05-10-2014

(05-10-2014, 08:46 PM)Snak3 Wrote: Easy solution is to remove dead end systems to minimal, remove the jump trading and bingo. More interactions without rollbacks

Yeah jump trading I forgot about that.

RE: A radical idea - Nerva - 05-10-2014

Barge jumping is an especially broken part of jump trading. I'm surprised it's still there as it was supposed to be removed with 4.87.

(04-03-2013, 03:12 AM)Cannon Wrote: The intent of this change is to make jump trading impractical in any of its forms although the minimum goal is to make barge jump trading impossible.