Discovery Gaming Community
Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Suggested fix for cloak chatting (/showthread.php?tid=118421)

Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Sciamach - 07-27-2014

'eyo

So, we all know of the recent changes to the chat system regarding cloaks yah? I was thinking up some In RP reasons for why you wouldnt be able to talk while cloaked, and the thought hits me:

"Because you wouldnt want to give away your position"

Transmissions of much of any kind could possibly be traced back to their source, EG: you talk, you could give yourself away

So why not do that??

Instead of being unable to talk period while cloaked, make it possible, but make it also possible for saying anything in local/system to give away where you are. So, you say something in local, and maybe the little red box surrounding your ship when an enemy sees you shows up within a certain distance, while your ship remains cloaked visually.

You still technically remain invisible to the eye, but your scanner picks something up and shows the display box, and the cloaked ship appears on the scanner for a breif time (say... 15-20 seconds? Long enough to read the message, and get a fix on where they are to do something about it)

No clue how to code myself so... that'd be up to the devs...

To my understanding however, the cloak system is server-side, and these chat changes are as well so... possible?

Crazy?
Dumb?

Further ideas? Questions? Comments?

RE: Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Danny-boy - 07-27-2014

I was thinking about this issue myself, and this was actually one of the justifications that I came up with regarding the matter. So yeah, if it's possible I'd really like for this to be implemented into the game.

RE: Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Occam Razor - 07-27-2014

Sounds good.. and if that is not possible you could just outright decloak someone who uses the comms, since he gives away his position with that anyways. There surely could be found an iRP reason why that decloaks you. Would also be funny to have such a liner who tries to troll you and then decloaks.

RE: Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Sciamach - 07-27-2014

(07-27-2014, 10:12 AM)Occam Razor Wrote: and if that is not possible you could just outright decloak someone who uses the comms

+1

RE: Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Alley - 07-28-2014

Your initial idea is beyond the scope of my possibilities right now, in fact I don't even know if it's possible. What might be possible is make an effect play from the player ship similar to when you do /jump on a hyperdrive ship but there might be conflicts with the cloak.

(07-27-2014, 10:12 AM)Occam Razor Wrote: and if that is not possible you could just outright decloak someone who uses the comms

That however, is definitely possible.

RE: Suggested fix for cloak chatting - Sciamach - 07-28-2014

Or just de-cloak them and have it instantly start re-charging the cloak... would pretty much do what I'm suggesting just without the fancy-ness of it all XD