Discovery Gaming Community
Critique About the System Name Change - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Critique About the System Name Change (/showthread.php?tid=172116)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Critique About the System Name Change - Durandal - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 08:04 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: The issue with Laptev however is not about it being a new system, but about it being empty. It has less to do with a lack of bases, it has to do with a lack of decoration. Biomes, if you will. The infocards of the planets and the sun are generic. The asteroid fields are generic. The placement of the jump holes is generic. Hell, I wouldn't mind sending in a less generic and more arcade-ish version of the system if it, for once, would get any feedback other than ignorance (like the Uncharteds I made - after getting asked to do some - or the Thuringia starsphere I sent in). We have loads of solars that can be used creatively. But Laptev has four set rocks in the ice field and a pilgrim liner at the only thing that makes the system unique: the very damn pretty sun.

I should mention that there are plans for an official story event where the blackbox logs of the Dallman can be recovered. It didn't go live with the system because we didn't get all of the juicy background lore written in time.

If you have suggestions for stuff that could be added to the system without a complete redesign, yes, I am open to it.

Your Thuringia starsphere was rejected due to texture stretching, which was deemed less desirable than the current tiling. Re: your uncharteds, those I know less about, and I don't want to comment on stuff I don't know about.

RE: Critique About the System Name Change - Milan - 07-22-2019

These system name changes being accepted Sirius-wide actually make sense. Let's just consider that all houses had to comply with the fait accompli, as often in human history.

Calling them after Aquitaine and Brittany, two regions with a special relation to Britain, is also a nice and elegant touch. I really like it, whether it be on purpose or not.

RE: Critique About the System Name Change - Kokopelli - 07-22-2019

I personally don't mind having a new Independent system, considering there's still a 'system overhaul' inbound, which I'm very much looking forward to.

What I really dislike about Laptev though, is its location on the Galaxy Map. It is crammed so tightly between Texas, Virginia and Bering, that the mouse cursor has trouble registering the right system. Not to mention that whole star cluster looks somewhat wonky.
Since Laptev is not a separate solar system per se, but rather a sector on the fringes of Bering, wouldn't it make more sense to place it on an isolated map similarly to Darlington or Knossos?

Admittedly, I have no idea how time-consuming that would be and if it would be worth the effort, so maybe we'll just have to roll with it

RE: Critique About the System Name Change - Y'berg - 07-22-2019

I like Laptev's idea. Not all systems have jump connections in the sector, and it's safe to assume there are several systems between... Say NY and Cali. In my opinion it gives you a glimpse what sirius was like before the lanes and gates, and it's a nice touch

RE: Critique About the System Name Change - Lanakov - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 06:58 PM)Thunderer Wrote: When Mehmed the Conqueror entered the city that deserved him such an epithet, after the customary three days of uncontrolled pillage had ended, he went straight towards the Hagia Sophia. It is reported that he saw one of his soldiers there, chipping the marble with a pick or a shovel. When Mehmed asked him why he was doing that, the soldier replied: "For the faith". Mehmed ordered him executed.

Then he sent one of his men, either a soldier or a priest, atop the cathedral's main choir balcony, who cried out the Islamic creed: "La ilaha illallah" (There is no god but (Mohammad's) God). Mehmed relished in the majestic resonant qualities of the cathedral, but also in the profound symbolism of the deed: what a great and ancient empire he had brought down, and what a great and ancient legacy is on his shoulders to continue. He will not destroy it, but embrace it, bend it to his will (not much differently from the traditional Islamic approach to wives), and make it even greater.

@Lanakov Now, the purpose of me holding this history lesson. Would you mind doing something symbolic on Gaia or Toulouse? Only you possess the linguistic erudition necessary for such.

I like this, I like this very much. Well, not the whole "tear down the Orthodoxy, glory to Islam the one true religion" etc bit, but the notion. That Gaia be finally put to good use demands a remarkable, historical moment like the one you describe. His Majesty shall henceforth be known as Charles the Defiler of Nature. Eat that, the Conqueror.

I'll be thinking of this.