Discovery Gaming Community
[Done] Event subforum consolidation proposal - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: [Done] Event subforum consolidation proposal (/showthread.php?tid=174165)

Pages: 1 2

[Done] Event subforum consolidation proposal - Avalanche - 10-14-2019

I propose we consolidate the sub-sub-forum "Events and Competitions" iinside of the sub-forum "Server Events".

Ultimately the aim is to make in-game events as noticeable and enticing as possible to forum viewers.

I have created an image of what "Events & Competitions" & "Server Events" being merged would look like. Notice player events as the main body and then pinned official events. It looks good right?

Question 1 - How can we do this?
Answer - Well an easy solution is to leave "Server Events" where it is and put "Events and Competitions" inside it.

Question 2 - What about admin events? "Server Events" exists to promote admin events
Answer - Admin events can be pinned so that they remain prominent and carry the tag [Official Event] in the title.

Secondly, further improvements can be made by archiving the 3 pinned threads currently in "Events & Competitions" made by Sindroms. They are no longer used + archiving the sub-sub-forum "Unchartered Kusari" which is no longer used.

Agree? Disagree?

Sidenote: Forum banners can be used for event promotion but this thread is not addressing that forum feature. We can discuss banners in a new thread.

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Shiki - 10-14-2019

This is actually a good idea.

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Durandal - 10-14-2019

Official server events already automatically appear on the homepage when posted. You can backread through the article history on the homepage for examples.

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Avalanche - 10-14-2019

(10-14-2019, 02:09 PM)Durandal Wrote: Official server events already automatically appear on the homepage when posted. You can backread through the article history on the homepage for examples.

Ah right, this may be were our user experiences differ. I meant the index when I said "homepage". I and I know others do too, don't open the forums on https://discoverygc.com/forums/portal.php but instead open the forums automatically on https://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php which is why I think the events should be a new forum all to themselves, both admin and player events combined, near the top.

Edit: So to clarify, for example one method would be to combine all event sub-forums and put them into the Discovery HQ below "News and announcements"

This will put all in-game events within just 1 click of any forum visitor and also reduce scrolling.

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Durandal - 10-14-2019

It's possible for us to display banners on the forum index such as the current one which advertises the Official Discord server. We can do this for events as well and have done so occasionally in the past, no reason for us not to make better use of it imo.

(10-14-2019, 02:27 PM)Durandal Wrote: It's possible for us to display banners on the forum index such as the current one which advertises the Official Discord server. We can do this for events as well and have done so occasionally in the past, no reason for us not to make better use of it imo.

Nice feature. I didn't originally mean that feature though. Simply you have 2 sub-forums for events. Combine them into 1 sub-forum.

For example just put "Events & Competitions" in General Discussions into "Server Events" in Discovery HQ and you've immediately improved the current forum layout.

We need events to be put in front of the eyes of lurkers. They serve no good being tucked inside General Discussions (with 3 unused pinned posts) and their thread latest responses get hidden on the index page if any General Discussion threads get responses.

If you feel Official Admin events need to be highlighted further you can just pin them within this new theoretical event sub-forum I am proposing.

Edit: You can even go a step further and put "Tutorials" and "Discovery Launcher" inside "Help & Support"

then the "Newcomer's Section" can simply list:

1. Welcome!
2. Help & Support [Tutorials & Discovery Launcher]
3. Server Events
4. Looking for Group

You have then vastly reduced the time to scroll and eye pollution of the index page and Server Events sits prominently at the top for all to see and can see it's latest replies time.

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Liberty.In - 10-14-2019

6:1

This is good idea I think. Micro-update but might help for new players who looking for smth interesting.

@Durandal u have no choice. xddd

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Pepe - 10-14-2019

I disagreed. Player events banners sound better to me. Not all events are with serious story and illustrations.
Also base sieges shold be more visible, via banners.

(10-14-2019, 03:03 PM)Pepe Wrote: I disagreed. Player events banners sound better to me. Not all events are with serious story and illustrations.
Also base sieges shold be more visible, via banners.

Banners? You mean the feature which is currently promoting the mod's discord? My proposal doesn't mention banners. We can start a new thread regarding banners if you wish.

Please help me understand your disagreement. Currently we have an events sub-sub-forum within General Discussions. It's good right? It gets a lot of use.

It can be improved however by becoming more noticeable and prominent by being promoted to simply a sub-forum. A sub-forum which lists both player events and admin events. This makes all events in one spot and captures every forum-browser's attention immediately.

RE: Events need to be more prominent on forums - Yazov - 10-14-2019

(10-14-2019, 02:36 PM)Liberty.In Wrote: 6:1

This is good idea I think. Micro-update but might help for new players who looking for smth interesting.

@Durandal u have no choice. xddd

There is no point in implementing a feature when there's already a more stable, reliable and simple feature that does exactly the same. Community's opinion is not always a better opinion.