Discovery Gaming Community
Set Messages - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Set Messages (/showthread.php?tid=91951)

Pages: 1 2 3

Set Messages - Sarawr!? - 01-03-2013

So, I can't guarantee that the results of this poll will bring change, but I sure would like to hope that they'll help.

This poll is a result of conversations I've had with quite a few people regarding preset messages, and how they feel about their use in everyday activity on Disco.

I, and the folks I've spoken to, feel as though the usage of set messages has greatly cheapened encounters between rival groups on Discovery, set messages require very little effort, and are often times used to initiate an engagement before the opposing party realizes what's going on.

Now as I said, I feel as though set messages cheapen the "Discovery Experience", meaning that they make the game less enjoyable, and they most definitely cause a decrease in the quality of "RP" before a fight.

So onto the point, the purpose of this poll will be for all of you to voice your opinions, if given the choice would you do away with set messages, or would you keep things how they are?

Please, do not turn this thread into a flamewar, or I will lock it and this will definitely go nowhere.

RE: Set Messages - JayDee Kasane - 01-03-2013

You mean that setmsg should be killed? No. I think they rather useful. People will overuse anything, deleting things wont change things.

RE: --- - bloogaL - 01-03-2013

No "other" option in poll. If it's possible, limit them to group chat only so they can still be used for calling targets in combat or distress calls etc. Still, even with removal of set messages, people can always move on to scripts to auto-RP instead.

RE: Set Messages - Jansen - 01-03-2013

Right now they are still more useful then annoying, so that would be quite a loss in my eyes.

RE: Set Messages - Narcotic - 01-03-2013

I don't use them, and I can't think of many reasons, why to keep them.
However, I guess that a removal would avoid people getting insta-killed.

Won't vote yet, since I'd like to hear more reasons why one would need them.

RE: Set Messages - Jack_Henderson - 01-03-2013

Positive:
+ useful because of the #t, #c tags => They help in fights and add something useful. It's simply necessary to be able t say something like "Fighters, target [name] at [pos]" with a /g1.

Negative:
- cheap /l1 /l2 engagements

I voted "no, keep them", bc fights would suffer.
Furthermore, I think that those who go into a fight and use /l1 /l2 would not rp more if they had to type anything. I prefer a nice (even if pre-recorded) message to a "Enagebnding" "Gnus hot" message

RE: Set Messages - Tachyon - 01-03-2013

They're useful, useful, useful. I don't need to list in which way any more.

Also, what is good RP before an engagement ? That's up to everyone to decide for himself (I for my part think talking over XYZ when facing your enemy doesn't make sense 2/3 of the time).

Besides that, I never "suffered" from /1 /2 /3 engagement notices, nowhere, not in Liberty, not in Gamma, not in the Taus.

RE: Set Messages - captain_obvious - 01-03-2013

(01-03-2013, 05:49 PM)Narcotic Wrote: However, I guess that a removal would avoid people getting insta-killed.

People are creative. If someone wants to insta-kill someone, he will find a way do it even without the automessage but within the rules.

This is a pretty useful tool in the game.. There are some situations, where you don't have time to type everything. Also it'd just force people to use macros and scripts.

+1 for JayDee and bloogaL, vote: no

RE: Set Messages - AshHill07 - 01-03-2013

I agree with limiting them to group chat. As for the whole /l1 /l2 thing, forceing them to type "Engaging" is forceing them to type more. Its also making it even more obvious how little effort they're willing to put into thier roleplay.
Mine are always a full sentence, always typed out by hand before I get into the fight. I can manage it, and it takes very little effort. I still fail to see why so many people can't even do that.

RE: Set Messages - Wraga - 01-03-2013

Get a new option instead:

/setchar or something like that, what could take a "roleplayname" before the sentences. Its annoying to type: (randomdude):Good day!, (randomdude): Yes!...

That helps more to roleplay than setmsgs, but at the moment, they are better than nothing.