Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Remove Scanner Nerf?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(04-10-2014, 01:46 AM)Tal Wrote: [ -> ]Thrusting speed DIFFERS from ship to ship. The only difference between thrusters are their drain speeds. The rate at which they propel the ship does not depend on the powercore. The difference from ship to ship is in the thrusting speed, there is no need for further nerfs.

Thank ye to let us mortals know when its OK to nerf or not. The difference in the speeds is due to their differing mass, you get more speed from a Cheetah in a VHF than a battlecruiser or battleship since its so much lighter. But their drain is the same, 110 u/s for the Cheetah, that's on either a VHF or capital ship. You get less speed because of ship size, but the time the thruster lasts is the same. The wiki says 'power used' for thruster drain. I assume that would come from the powercore.

So does it make sense that a Battleship can use a Cheetah that takes up way less space and has less drain than a Capital ship thruster? No. Does it matter? NO. Same with the scanner nerfs. But now that they're here they're here. Yes they were intended for large military ships. As time went on people adapted them to function on far less power. Those battleships power core's aren't for the scanners, they're for the weapons. So yes even medium range transports, gunboats and cruisers might wind up using them. Its not the end of the world.
Oh, I see now. on one hand, we got a guy arguing for some rp that could alter the whole freelancer [mind you, not disco] lore by citing a strange thing. now, a guy wants such a OORP loadout that in rp, would lead to people actually asking 'u mad bro?' question.

Spyglass was NOT a scanner, but a BATTLESHIP . the blueprints were sold to the Order [in exchange for the Icarus, a Osiris, I might add], who managed to put it on Osiris and Geb. lore-wise , the Order actually had to create a Recon cruiser just for powering the spyglass. Lane hackers were given the scanner blueprints for their allegiance, which they modded to their own needs. Navy had the old scanner blueprints, which they reverse engineered.

basically , I recommend a 'no id' nerf , or 1% powercore, for usage other than the following ids:

Order greater caps(cruiser and higher)
Hellfire greater caps
Lane hacker caps[gunboat]
Liberty naval battleships/carriers.

feel free to suggest your own idea, I will look through them.
(04-10-2014, 03:13 AM)TheUnforgiven Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-10-2014, 01:46 AM)Tal Wrote: [ -> ]Thrusting speed DIFFERS from ship to ship. The only difference between thrusters are their drain speeds. The rate at which they propel the ship does not depend on the powercore. The difference from ship to ship is in the thrusting speed, there is no need for further nerfs.

Thank ye to let us mortals know when its OK to nerf or not. The difference in the speeds is due to their differing mass, you get more speed from a Cheetah in a VHF than a battlecruiser or battleship since its so much lighter. But their drain is the same, 110 u/s for the Cheetah, that's on either a VHF or capital ship. You get less speed because of ship size, but the time the thruster lasts is the same. The wiki says 'power used' for thruster drain. I assume that would come from the powercore.

So does it make sense that a Battleship can use a Cheetah that takes up way less space and has less drain than a Capital ship thruster? No. Does it matter? NO. Same with the scanner nerfs. But now that they're here they're here. Yes they were intended for large military ships. As time went on people adapted them to function on far less power. Those battleships power core's aren't for the scanners, they're for the weapons. So yes even medium range transports, gunboats and cruisers might wind up using them. Its not the end of the world.

Battleships can't mount thrusters.

There's a reason why I quoted the BS scanner because it states that it takes vast amounts of energy to operate.

No thruster says that.
No.
Hows about let the scanner take 200 cargo space on the ship.
Considering a big piece of sophisticated machinery like that should take up lots of cargo space.
Adjust Spyglass size accordingly. Smile

On the other hand, if you are so keen on not being caught by any one, you have single player available on vanilla. Smile~
What about the vast amounts of power needed to power it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7