Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Object Unknown, New Etheria High Orbit.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 72a5dc94-ef19-4106-8989-d966b4ef2351_zpse9318d70.jpg]
Shard addresses the small group of assembled volunteers who have gathered, the communication silent but vital.

"My people We have survived.

For the first time I believe that our people may have a true future. We will send out the Prion hosts to gather resources with the crude vessels the synthetic lifeforms have bestowed upon us. Basic, primitive human constructions, a few transports. Enough to form a supply line. A life line.

We are still vulnerable, but we will survive. I will lead our kind in disguise, as a human. It sounds disgusting. And it is.

We gather now in the Core Primus of our tiny new home. You have come forward, asking for a chance to undertake this revolting task of initiating a Prion host. Some are speaking of it as an honour. I certainly do not think it to be. We must deceive these humans long enough to gather our strength. We have transport vessels, we must gather our resources by any means necessary while at all times remaining discrete in our actions. Only by this method will we survive long enough to seed New Etheria.

I know there will be questions."

Always questions, I thought to myself. I almost regretted betraying the others then, initiating the Bridge prematurely to save us lucky few. If I had not we would be long dead by now from Iridium deficiency. There were more able survivors than expected. I awaited their input on these matters, carefully leaving out the last fact.

Seer Splinter entered from the edge of the room and approached the Elder. Standing slightly behind and to the left of the Elder, Splinter addressed the room in the same manner.

"I am Seer Splinter, my duties to Etheria are centered around misinformation and deception of the local human population. While you will report to the Elder about supplies you have gathered for New Etheria you will report to me of any human interactions."

The Seer glanced at the Elder before continuing

"Further more, while you hand picked select few have been granted hosts of your own I must again convey how important it is that no human ever find this station. You are to destroy your host if there is any chance of a human following you here."

Seer Splinter turned to the Elder, "Also two more have requested to join the initiation process."

I reflected breifly then. Deception had been frowned upon by the Elders in the old Empire. But I have embraced it. It is the way - the only way - our species will survive long enough to gather our lost strength. I welcomed more volunteers, with each Etherium able to monitor up to 9 or 10 prions dependant on the capacities of the individual, we now had enough Etherium to control our small group of vessels. Our operations could begin.

I remained silent, knowing Splinter would handle the logistics of our situation with ease. My task is to look forward, to anticipate, evading events before they became problems. We are alive. We are here. My task is to make sure this remains so.
Tactus enters the Etherium Mindlink, contacting the elder.

"Elder, I wish to know something. I, now have no remembrance of Etheria. I do not know who I am , save my 'name'. I wish to truly know who and how high I was. which rank I was of. I need knowledge. I look up to you to enlighten me, Elder."

woth that, he resumed c8ntrol of his Prion.
Seer Splinter gestured for Tactus to approach him instead. "The Elder is meditating," Addressing the room silently as usual. "Tactus, you are a Survivalist among our new empire." Splinter paused while he tapped out some commands from the table in front of him. "I have increased your Iridium ration by one third. Iridium deficiency has made it harder on all of us to remember our past. With time it will return to you."
The Core shook, the station rattled. Seer Splinter glanced at the calm Elder, without a word spoken between them they knew the first of many trials had come to pass.
"We have Grown, Elder, by your will."
[Image: 099b189b-f2db-49c6-af82-5a7af6d8694c_zps00e1c6d2.png]
"Crew"
"Yes Elder"
"Summon all of the surviviors. Prepare to upload my recent memories and sensory inputs to every awakened Etherium through their neural lobe uplink."
"By your will, Elder."

I had never felt so acutely aware of my existence. Observing and manipulating these humans had become a greater task than anitipated. Living their lives through remote sensory link, experiencing their reactons had become more complex than I had ever imagined, this primitive carbon lifeform had a social structure with near infinite variables. Manipulating a whole crew of prions could become incalculable, leading to errors. More power was needed. And now we had that power.

The others had not become emotionally attached to their prions, and would willingly terminate them even after prolonged periods. It must remain this way. It has gotten us this far.

As the others assembled I mentally reflected on which parts to emphasise and which to omit.

"Survivors of the Etherium Empire,
Many of you have risked your sanity to take part in the prion manipulation program. I wish to update you on the Etherium Empire's status. I have made discoveries as to the origins of this structure known as "Colonials", a human subgroup. We have integrated successfully with the mainframe and some of the samples of technology on this wrecked structure We are already learning much about humans.

You will also all know of the attack during the last planetary rotation."

[Image: 6603461e-0287-4a12-a170-b935b1585b0f_zps0ec18af1.png]

I paused here, knowing my people would react. Many thoughts cut into the signal. Some of fear, others of pride that the attack was repelled.

"Our defensive matrix has destroyed a human battlecraft. It approached our installation and began to attack. Our automated defense system engaged the human vessel. Two prions were deployed using craft we have acquire using the human trading catalyst "credits". We have had few problems trading in human commodities, with only a handful of ships being voluntarily destroyed to avoid any evidence of our existence.

There is nothing to suggest that it sent any transmissions before pressing a futile and unprovoked attack against our people. We have captured the crew, they put themselves in small spaceborne capsules for us. This has replenished our prion pool. But there are dangers. Such a craft vanishing will draw notice from this "Order" human group.

The battlecraft was fueled by a fusion reaction containment device. It has been integrated into our own energy grid and is now producing enough energy to awaken all remaining Etherium survivors from hibernation. We now possess more than enough Iridium to sustain ourselves. Weapon mechanisms the craft deployed against our installation and other debri were also retrieved and are being adapted now to defend us. We have survived, but we are not safe. All must aid. Or we will perish.

We must maintain our deceptions. This "Order" has enemies. We must sow confusion in their minds. I will now hear input from my Seers."
Splinter glanced at the Elder before stepping forward. 'There are others within the sector we could contact. I submit to you my report of the system known as Omicron Delta. Even though the humans are untrustworthy we still are unknown to them. They appear extraordinarily fractured. Even our closest allies are in the mists of a civil war. Now we must extend our misinformation though this new sector. Remember what we pretend to be, nothing more than simple independent miners, not a threat to the political conflicts that are occurring throughout Delta. As more are awakened from hibernation teach them our ways.'
It had grown to quiet for Splinters liking. Descending from his prion controller he looked around the largely silent core.

It was time for a wake-up call

Splinter ascended to the elders podium, he thoughts would echo loudly among the population. "Etheria Hear Me! We have grown content with our life have we not! This is unacceptable, since when did a member of our Empire live as rats on the edge of civilization.

It has come time Citizens of Etheria, for Advancement."

He paused dramatically, noting the increased attention from the Scavengers among him.

"In upcoming cycles we will again take to space, our goal is knowledge.
Those of you who wish advancement speak now to hear your task."
I stirred at the disruption, my concentration broken. Watching with surprise as the Seer steped upon the podium, visions of those disiplined by previous Elders for even minor infractions crossed my thoughts. Such an action could potentially draw a horrific punishment. I allowed my shocked visage to convey this in silence.

The Seer had peaked my interest, however, and I allowed the lapse in protocol to go unpunished for now. The survivors were growing content, they felt secure in the safety I had provided them. Splinter was right. I knew what he intended. We would gain knowledge of the sector and cull the weak minded from our ranks in one motion.

I turned back to the viewport feigning disinterest but listening intently, watching the expansion of the former human ground supply depot before me, and beyond, the welcoming purple glow of New Etheria, where even now ground crews were surveying the planet for neccessary mineral deposits and habitable areas.

I gave the Seer a sideways look, nodded slightly to convey my approval, then returned to my vigil, watching over the installation as a concerned human would watch over their young.
Pages: 1 2