Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Idea: Activity in Gallia.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(11-16-2014, 11:17 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]It is clear that your point of view is a biased one and you would rather destroy one's toy completely simply because it's "non-vanilla".

thats the second time you have accused me of being biased in my opinion of Gallia, do you have any proof to back that up? because i dont think you do, just running your mouth as usual, so kindly stop typing.

I dislike gallia for perfectly valid reasons, I dont have time to just hate on things 'just because',

1. Gallia was never implemented correctly from the very first moments of its conception. which was the absolute critical moment in deciding whether it will be a success.

2. I didnt care about Gallia for a long time even though i knew it existed, because it was out of sight, out of sight out of mind, and there is plenty of none vanilla things in the mod that I like. so theres your bias stuffed back up your colon.

3. Due to poor implmentation even when you had to go there for base materials nobody went there unless that absolutely could not get cryos any other way.. (me and a few other people ran a mercenary trading outfit which specifically went to collect cryocubes from gallia) I never met a soul in all the long cruising ours i spent there. not on the player list or on my scanner.

4. I started to hate Gallia when pre-determined story lines dictated that the place I played 95% of my time on the server was to be destroyed by this force that at the time didnt even have a player base to support its miraculous advances through sirius. (pre-determined story lines rail roading RP in a online setting? seriously?? This is why nobody liked the nomad players, nomads worked great in single player because it was, SINGLE PLAYER. Gallia would work awesome in single player.) You dont rail road peoples roll play without consent.

5. The more Gallia captured the less players I would see in the server. because people are being forced to include something in their role play which is distasteful to them. its like being made to play with the hunchback kid with one eye that smells like old salmon and still manages to steal your toys then tells you "we arent playing your game now, we are playing my game"

I moved from playing in bretonia to playing Outcasts to get away from the gallics. and that was great fun, my faction was doing really really well and everyone enjoyed it. I got a mission from the 81st to send our forces to Gallia to scout and map their systems. I decided to take the mission, because Gallia was here to stay and it seemed not trying to get over it was just detrimental. And scout we did but not without losing almost everyone in the faction.

that was the worst mistake i ever made, my faction very quickly died during that time. people stopped logging in, in role play there was NO explanation for the sudden disappearence of my whole fricking team.

I had to role play it as a virus that had infected the crew of my ship causing them to fall deathly sick. and as such i was forced to leave the area and return to Malta.

My faction never recovered from that. And so that was the last straw. never since then have I ever looked back or had any empathy for Gallia or the people who like to smell its excreta.

Actually no, i lie, I did try again to go back to Gallia we took a massive convoy of Dromedary there, I cant remember what we were trading though. it was funny though, there was so many of us that Henderson shat himself and started ordering IMG to get online for a fight, but then we went the other direction, and i got an instant green message of disappointment.

So you just cant win.

Gallia needs to go, it is purely cancerous and nobody can prove otherwise. the only reason it has ever done well is that it has 90% of the servers competant pilots are in the GRN, or in the reavers that worked for them.
(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2014, 11:17 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ][Thyr's negativity]

[The best stuff ever.]

You've just said everything I've ever thought about Gallia and why I avoid it. It's no fun. I dislike that it was forced on people. I did my best to try and make the best of it but I didn't enjoy myself. So I just started doing stuff that didn't involve it. Yet, still, here it is. Can't be avoided, so I just try to work with it without getting infuriated every time I think about it. I agree, Gallia can go back to being it's own place, away from everything else people are doing, those than enjoy it can stay with it.

Though at this point it's beyond fixing, and we just have to live with it and make the best of what we're given.
I like how there's apparently only 2 opinions about Gallia on either the #Delete or #KeepEverything extremes.

I liked the idea of Gallia - new house, new advanced technologies, new commodities, new factions, new menace for Sirius.

Then, I actually took a look at what Gallia actually was, and I found it much more horrifying: HUGE systems with MANY bases and MANY new factions and a virtually CLOSED economy with no real incentives to play there. Gallia could probably by its own entire mod, it has so much.

I actually agree with Hidamari - the implementation right from the outset was very poor, which led to lack of interest, which led to lack of activity. I also don't really like the "steamroller" "unstoppable Juggernaut" RP that GRN was given to basically screw over Bretonia and Gaians.

As stated previously (maybe in other threads), I would have liked more if Gallia was physically MUCH smaller (giving more credence to the "they lack resources and therefore had to invade" lore), and had a smaller, but more technologically advanced fleet which gave them more of the edge against Sirius instead of the lame "they have enough ships to own anybody and Bretonia never has any chance and must submit or die" mentality that seems to permeate their existence now.

However, despite all of this, I don't fall completely into the #delete crowd, because I still see a lot of potential if folks were actually willing to put in the work to do things correctly with Gallia.
(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]thats the second time you have accused me of being biased in my opinion of Gallia, do you have any proof to back that up? because i dont think you do, just running your mouth as usual, so kindly stop typing.

I dislike gallia for perfectly valid reasons, I dont have time to just hate on things 'just because',

And I don't have time to just "run my mouth as usual". My accusations are based on your posts and your view you communicate with them, if you seek proof, you should look around there.

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]1. Gallia was never implemented correctly from the very first moments of its conception. which was the absolute critical moment in deciding whether it will be a success.

We can agree on that, Gallia started badly, but it already changed a lot and expected to change more. Note to Laddie too, we are promised that a total of 7 systems will go, one of them is a core system. I believe it is a fair consensus between #DeleteGallia and #KeepEverything. Thankfully to the Devs though, Gallia won't be the only one to lose unneeded systems through the Guard system culling, should it be up to certain community members though, we'd have one less house but still a bunch of empty guard systems next update.

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]2. I didnt care about Gallia for a long time even though i knew it existed, because it was out of sight, out of sight out of mind, and there is plenty of none vanilla things in the mod that I like. so theres your bias stuffed back up your colon.

I don't care about Omicrons much either, but you don't see me spewing #DeleteOmicrons all over the place, all you can see is that sometimes I agree with the removal of certain parts of it a lot of other players consider harmful: the buffer systems between Alpha and Gamma. If you don't care, why bother jumping on the #DeleteGallia bandwagon?

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]3. Due to poor implmentation even when you had to go there for base materials nobody went there unless that absolutely could not get cryos any other way.. (me and a few other people ran a mercenary trading outfit which specifically went to collect cryocubes from gallia) I never met a soul in all the long cruising ours i spent there. not on the player list or on my scanner.

Since then cryos have been changed to Heat Sinks to fix this as have been the most of the PoB commodities. What issues we still have connected to that are the usual ZonerZonerZoner vs Order drama, because Nomnom materials are still required for cloaks despite promises of another replacement for those, but I can't see you agitate against that.

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]4. I started to hate Gallia when pre-determined story lines dictated that the place I played 95% of my time on the server was to be destroyed by this force that at the time didnt even have a player base to support its miraculous advances through sirius. (pre-determined story lines rail roading RP in a online setting? seriously?? This is why nobody liked the nomad players, nomads worked great in single player because it was, SINGLE PLAYER. Gallia would work awesome in single player.) You dont rail road peoples roll play without consent.

Good news: (Royalist) Gallia was basically pre-determined for a failure after a quick and serious conquest, and I believe we are nearing that point where the GRN begins to fail as well as conflict returns to the Kingdom itself. Addition: the current dev team is not the one which decided that Gallia should steamroll Bretonia to this extent, so I guess you've choosen the best time to return and see that "cancer" getting removed from your beloved house.

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]5. The more Gallia captured the less players I would see in the server. because people are being forced to include something in their role play which is distasteful to them. its like being made to play with the hunchback kid with one eye that smells like old salmon and still manages to steal your toys then tells you "we arent playing your game now, we are playing my game"

The more buffer systems been around between Alpha and Gamma the less players I would see in the server... yeah, we can find a lot of other things beside Gallia to blame the shrinking playerbase, including that the game is over 10 years old, decreased influx of new players, vets are aging and returning to real life, etc. There is much more into that than an expansion of the playable area done in times where the playerbase was also expanding and expected to continue this trend.

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]I moved from playing in bretonia to playing Outcasts to get away from the gallics. and that was great fun, my faction was doing really really well and everyone enjoyed it. I got a mission from the 81st to send our forces to Gallia to scout and map their systems. I decided to take the mission, because Gallia was here to stay and it seemed not trying to get over it was just detrimental. And scout we did but not without losing almost everyone in the faction.

that was the worst mistake i ever made, my faction very quickly died during that time. people stopped logging in, in role play there was NO explanation for the sudden disappearence of my whole fricking team.

I had to role play it as a virus that had infected the crew of my ship causing them to fall deathly sick. and as such i was forced to leave the area and return to Malta.

My faction never recovered from that. And so that was the last straw. never since then have I ever looked back or had any empathy for Gallia or the people who like to smell its excreta.

I'm really curious what has been the actual reason behind the Mosquitos falling apart, I can't even recall your agenda by now, faint memories suggest your presence in Liberty with Light Fighters and a request for a custom made Storta modified for carrier role, but that's all. I can hardly imagine that simply taking some screenshots somewhere while doing your usual thing you did when the squadron was alive killed the faction. The mere activity doesn't look more like something a lone but devoted member couldn't do while the rest carry on with their usual business. But obviously an already hated Gallia could be a perfect scapegoat for that too.

(11-17-2014, 02:08 AM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]Gallia needs to go, it is purely cancerous and nobody can prove otherwise. the only reason it has ever done well is that it has 90% of the servers competant pilots are in the GRN, or in the reavers that worked for them.

The Gallia you are bashing right now is not the Gallia you have experienced before you left. You just came back like weeks ago at most, and you apparently think things changed nothing based on the answers you got for your ten arbitrary questions in Flood. Gallia changed and is expected to change a lot.

People began to talk about 4.88 more and more recently, and then we have Alley presenting some info and screenshots about the new patching system, which looks quite promising, at least for me. How about we chill now and see what comes?
there was so much garbage in the responses to that quote tree that I just don't even.
"You are so full of crap that I cba to respond." is quite the way to stress your point...
On and on and on and on and on goes the anti-Gallia train.

We're all very sad that 75th went down the drain, Dii, but blaming it on the mere existence of Gallia is just plain stupidity. There are plenty of factions (I wonder if any in particular come to mind???) with much stronger ties to Gallia that are still alive and well, despite being connected to "the cancer of Discovery" most intimately.

You can call me biased (and you'd be right), but I'm getting really sick of seeing all these posts that lump the whole concept of Gallia - and everything tied to it - into one big, unhappy mess that everyone loves to shout down.

It's about time you all woke up and realised there's a hell of a lot more to everything Gallic than sitting around wearing your Rose-Tinted Glasses (v4.85 Edition)™ and whinging about how much better things would have been if Igiss hadn't had a raging boner for implementing his vision of Space France into Discovery.

Igiss' original implementation may have been substandard (read: piss-poor) - nobody's denying that. The point I want to make is that a hell of a lot of people - myself included - have poured hours, days, even full-on weeks of our time into Gallic roleplay, gameplay, and everything else that comes wrapped up in that big old bundle. It's coming on two years since I put in my initial GRN| app, and whether you care or not (probably not (:: ) it's been a damn sight more fun and engaging than anything else I've stuck my oar into here on Discovery. In fact, back at the time I was on the fence about applying to BAF| or GRN|, and ended up plumping for the side that - at the time - was floundering in comparison. Leeds used to be full of Bretonians waiting for Gallics to show, rather than the other way around. Funny how far we've come, isn't it?

The amount of effort, sweat, and tears being put into GRN (and, therefore, into Gallia as a whole) that I've both witnessed and participated in is astounding. Without it, I can honestly say I would have just bounced off Disco again like I'd been doing for the past ~5 years, and never ended up sticking here like a piece of angry Irish velcro. I never would've met a whole bunch of inspiring, wonderful people who genuinely brighten up my day. Without Gallia, I wouldn't be able to PvP an AFK Starflier, and would probably know approximately 0% of the server on a first-name basis.

And that's without even touching on the roleplay aspect of things. Don't even get me started on how much time I've spent poring over half-finished Word documents, trying to nail down what exactly makes my characters tick, or stressing out over not being able to come up with another paragraph for an ongoing thread.

And even then, I'm only one person. Extrapolate that to the rest of the faction, and then extrapolate that to the amount of active factions making up Gallia.

Does it still seem so unimportant to you? Yes, the systems in-game are empty and barren, and even I would support them being cut wholeheartedly - but don't you dare suggest that nobody can prove Gallia isn't worthless. Just because you personally have no investment in the area doesn't mean everyone shares your myopic points of view.

In fact, probably my only regret - with regards GRN| in particular, anyway - is that I don't feel I can live up to the standards I myself saw past leaders pushing out.

Other houses may have been around much longer, and I may be building on a foundation of crap implementation, forced plotlines and past shoddiness, but I won't have anyone write mountains of effort and time off as "purely cancerous". Being part of a faction/game area/House that has existed since vanilla does not grant you a God-given platform to rain bitter, venomous criticism from.

You know I love you, Dii, but in this case you - and this goes for anyone else with the same tired, old, revisionist mentality - really just need to get over yourself. Big time. We're both biased as hell, of course, but at least I seem to be able to admit it.

I have like a billion other things I want to say but this post is long enough as it is and I doubt anyone is still reading at this point. I guess the best way for me to sum it up is this; if you ever had any justification for pointing angry, crying fingers at Gallia or Gallia's part in this mod, the people you need to be pointing them at are long, long gone. I am not Igiss, I am not Dab, and I am not whichever misguided fool decided Gallia should be bumped up from its 4.85 size to the bloated monstrosity that it now is. Nor am I the person in charge of copy-pasting the Bretonia/Kusari war, except with French people on one side this time.

Everyone in the #delete crowd can either keep harping on about how much better their ideal little fairyland, Gallia-less world would be, or they can actually get real, wise up, and get involved.

Unfortunately, I doubt many will bother, because it's a lot harder to get down off the pulpit once you're called out than it is to get up there in the first place.
And you can guarantee that Omi speaks for a lot of the people who fly there and just get on with it.
(11-17-2014, 03:52 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]"You are so full of crap that I cba to respond." is quite the way to stress your point...

simply there are better decorated walls I could be talking to.

(11-17-2014, 03:52 PM)Omicega Wrote: [ -> ]~snip~

I have never claimed that because I am from vanilla space that gives me credence to denounce work gone in, the work gone in is of high standard, Gallic space looks beautiful and much better than vanilla space. I wont comment on the lore because i dont know anything about it.

the point is simply that SO much work (as you have explained) has gone into something that was doomed from the very start of its existance, more and more attention gets paid to gallia while almost every other part of sirius stagnates.

I have no investment in the area because every investment I made was wholly unsustainable. where in the rest of the game it worked fine.

you may have put in X number of roleplay hours, but so have I so have the people on the otherside of this mystical force sweeping through Sirius being told to deal with it in closed brackets.

if the conquest of sirius was wholly player centered, and not in rail tracks id have a completely different outlook on the whole situation but it isnt, no matter the outcome of any battle that had taken place Gallia wins because thats how this story thats being shoved at us is supposed to go.

Yea? No. no thank you.

It would be pretty sweet if a system was made where player combat and ship losses was actually checked for sides in the conflict and that would influence directly how the tide of the war was to be decided. hell yes get me on that boat.

Even if in the rules of this hypothetical strategy game, Gallia needed to do less to win more because in lore its got this massive reserve of vallours up the wazoo, FINE, my actions still mean something.

but as it has and currently stands actions mean nothing, and thats probably the main reason ive always hated gallia, they have been preordained by destiny to be the awesomist most unstoppablist army evar, no really guys.

And to Thry's comment that Gallia is about to start receeding back whence it came, again that is too late, damage is done. just because you stab somebody and take the knife out and bury it doesnt mean that guy you stabbed isnt going to bleed out.
My coffee is hot enough thank you very much. I think we can close this thread now. It's getting a bit chippy in here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7