Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Laaaaaaaaaggggg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm not sure why but I get a lot of yellow and red connection icons even though my ping to the server is 78..... Any ideas as to what's going on? I have noticed that as the players online increases to 19-20 and beyond the lag increases dramatically. Could this be because the server can not handle this many players? And not an actual connection problem.
Everytime it gets past 16 players online the server gets serioulsy cripled.
I have a ping average of 140 but only have problems when there's 16+ players online.
It's really sad Discovery doesn't have the server issues sorted out yet.*

PS: *I'd gladly make a donation to help get new hardware in case that appears to be the problem.
The market has evolved SO much since PIII architecture appeared, it should be buying better equipment, if that turns out to be the issue.
It is possible to get a bargain server assembled with lower class hardware of today's techonolgy.

when i get paid for my next commission, ill be able to chip in some. amd ahtlon 64's are VERY cheap right now with all the proc price drops and all.
Guys, we know what the problem is

It's both hardware *AND* Software. Someone is using a bugged verison of Discovery 4.80.

As far as I can tell, the problem occurs when certain people join on the server. I'm not sure WHO, so someone would have to watch the server to be sure.

The server is currently a *DUAL PIII 600Mhz* box, which out-performs an AMD XP 2.0Ghz right now (I have an AMX XP 1800, and the dual server outperforms this in terms of performance).

It does need more memory, but outside of that, I don't see why the server is getting beat-up over a client issue.
Thanks for pointing that out Wolf ... After the last full release, we had none of these problems
with just as many people on. So if anyone is running other dodgy mods alongside Discovery,
will you please take them off ... The rest of us would like to play aswell ...

Hoodlum

Fellow Hoodlum,Aug 16 2006, 04:44 PM Wrote:Thanks for pointing that out Wolf ... After the last full release, we had none of these problems
with just as many people on. So if anyone is running other dodgy mods alongside Discovery,
will you please take them off ... The rest of us would like to play aswell ...

Hoodlum
[snapback]30548[/snapback]

We can't.. I could ban them, but beyond that, I'd need some way to contact them to tell them that their mod verison is either a) buggy or b) really messed up.

I'm hoping to implement better admin features to prevent this, but Until i get things sorted out, it's gonna be awhile.
I'm sure everyone else, like me, appreicates all the work you've already put into the server for us. Until you can get things sorted I guess we'll have to put up with some lag now and again and stop pestering you about it.
There are a few things I can try to see if it helps the problem or not

Problem is, it requires me taking the server down for extended periods of time. I honestly don't wanna do that, but it may be the only way to help solve this problem.
If you banned them they might finally get on the forums so you can tell them.
That doesn't sound good...

Well it's up to you as the equipment is yours wolf, I won't complain about losing a few hours of playing of FL if it stops the lag.

If I could do anything to help I would.

I guess if we stop posting about lag it'd let you concentrate on dealing with the more important stuff, yes?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6