Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What's with the OORP hate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(09-20-2016, 08:07 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2016, 07:26 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: [ -> ]got told that calling someone a pussy is like calling them a female's genitalia, which is actually sexist because it implies all women are cowardly.
[Image: latest?cb=20150612075940]

You people.

You people need to put your fedoras on the shelf.

I am not defecating you, this was literally the reason the staff told him he was warned.

...And I never ever called anyone a pussy ever since out of fear of being banned. ._.
(09-20-2016, 08:29 PM)Fish Wrote: [ -> ]i really don't see how a black and white drawing that happens to have (drawn-on) teeth and (drawn-on) blood is disturbing anyone,

Well... some people can be disturbed / offended by a lot of stuff, so... However, I really fail to see what's wrong with that particular avatar. I mean... it's not like he has a photo of something gory, like... I don't know, the pictures I saw as a kid when my father - Surgeon - prepaired his powerpoint presentations. basicaly people's innards in all their slimy bloody glory.

(09-20-2016, 08:29 PM)Fish Wrote: [ -> ]why would you block that masterpiece

Uhm.. the closest avatar to test it on? A subtle joke pehaps? It's unblocked now so don't you worry, the masterpiece is there. Smile
For heavens sakes. It's an avatar. I really have better things to be worrying about. Having to ask over and over again isn't something I like doing.
(09-20-2016, 08:21 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ][Image: m7eCYAx.png]

And everything was right in the world.

Just that easy..., now you can leave your "safe place".

You know I am not a carebear person. However there is a certain rule of thumb I would like you to consider. While it is true that your avatar does not necessarily fit the forum rule regarding material (Since even to this day for some reason we haven't specified that drawn content is still content), and I doubt that a trollface edited over for 4min with MS Paint is the most offensive thing I've seen here, please consider that if you are getting complaints about it, something is not alright with it.

You have swapped your avvy multiple times before, I am sure you can find something better than this. Yeah, it is interesting to see people squirm from a crudely drawn mspaint image, but at the same time this is a community and some things should be taken into account, even if they are as silly as an avatar of a trollface with too much lipstick.

You are man enough to just roll your eyes and change it. It will not hurt you in any way, and even more so it will give you a "hey remember that time when they..." moment to talk about later. However if some people are complaining about it, you sort of need to consider the possibility that they aren't being ironic or are doing so because they have nothing better to do.

Why make such a problem out of it? Out of principle? Why? It is a situation where nothing is really on the table. Why not put that mental effort somewhere else?
About the story, I have read it and it indeed was quite gory. But it was also completely ridiculous: not because it was gory, but because it went so overboard with the things that Redfire did to the Hessian dudes that it could be uncomfortable for some, and certainly not fun, in any way, shape, or form (not even as a creepy thing!) to read at all. It had no style, no substance, overall it really felt like violence for the sake of violence, even though the story was published just a few days after the siege on Solitaire so IT DID have some sort of base to sit on. Of course, that's not quite enough to go even close to the line that that story crossed.

Redfire's Hessian super-torture didn't have any place within Discovery or Freelancer, however...

Freelancer has a nomad incubi getting out of a dude's mouth and then they both get shot. It's pretty gross, I'd imagine it could scare the more impressionable children.
In these very forums there have been sex scenes written in a noice degree of detail regarding a certain someone who actually got approval to use a Terrorist ID. Don't take my word for it tho cuz it probably got buried alongside other really old threads.
Couple of dudes in Disco get offended over a crudely drawn and bloody trollface and mods bend right over.

u srs?

I get it, times change, we grew more sensitive. Hell, this whole situation is petty from both sides; however, I believe that this could set a dangerous precedent. Would ex-President Jacobi get a warning notification in her ship's cargo hold for calling Nomads female dogs? I mean, the word is censored here to begin with.

Loosen up a little, my dudes. We're all here to have fun.
your avatar made me have nightmares and wet my bed

glad you removed it u sicko, if we met irl i would probably call u a poopoohead you poop for brains!!!
I believe that the discovery community is already suffering from the excessive pointless drama so please re consider your actions, all of you
The avatar as mentioned from others here, is just a paint artwork of trolling face covered with red lipstick ...
There is also no need for excessive violent details, because that's too much deep RP and will move people's feelings. Some players cannot differentiate between RL and RP. The first one is real and the second is virtual, so those who mix between them, sometimes gets offended from a certain act in RP which actually makes no sense at all but as mentioned from others before, some ethics should be considered.

Don't kill yourselves with the too much drama guys, and enjoy your game.
Rating does not equal age requirement. Maybe certain countries have an "age requirement" for games, but if you're talking about things like ESRB and other "rating" companies, almost all other mainstream countries do not demand a minimum age, but instead have a rating system that gives the recommended age group. It's like rating a video game. The rating does not reflect quality (or in this case: age requirement), but rather a ROUGH ESTIMATE on the game's quality in the form of a number (or in this case: recommended age to play).

On the topic of youngsters, does it even matter that we have rules about this stuff to keep it Disney friendly? As soon as you enter Skype groups, TeamSpeak, or something that isn't the game or forums, the (most of the) rules don't apply anymore. Suddenly swearing, extremely "controversial" material, and other things that truly can be scaring and/or disturbing arise. These rules that deny these actions are pointless; it's like telling a grown man he can't drop the F-bomb in his own house. We're all men here, and even those that are younger here have a big enough brain not to get super sassy when someone curses.

People saying that youngsters shouldn't see "potentially disturbing content" or "shouldn't hear swear words" need to stop assuming crap based on stereotypes that kids are "super vulnerable" or something. Honestly, people are being complete hypocrites: disallowing swears but swear anyway? It's stupid.

I'm just going to stop here before I say something I regret. To all of you getting angry over an avatar, or people swearing on the forums/in game/in Skype:
Grow up. It's not all suger, spice, and everything nice, even here. Welcome to the internet, and get real.
(09-20-2016, 08:21 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ][Image: m7eCYAx.png]

And everything was right in the world.

Again. Phones. Guests of the forums who are new to disco, the forums kind of represent how the community is and what to expect on the forums.

You can swear a little, have some suggestive scenes, and in PG13 movies/media, you can refer or subtly hint to said incidents but not show or depict a massive amount of blood or gore -- which was the issue - as mentioned:

(09-20-2016, 09:29 PM)KaelanFrey Wrote: [ -> ]About the story, I have read it and it indeed was quite gory. But it was also completely ridiculous: not because it was gory, but because it went so overboard with the things that Redfire did to the Hessian dudes that it could be uncomfortable for some, and certainly not fun, in any way, shape, or form (not even as a creepy thing!) to read at all. It had no style, no substance, overall it really felt like violence for the sake of violence, even though the story was published just a few days after the siege on Solitaire so IT DID have some sort of base to sit on. Of course, that's not quite enough to go even close to the line that that story crossed.

As for the avatar, MSpaint or not - it could remind people and visually discomfort people.

Dripping blood? Fine - refers to Vampires, bloodsuckers, zombies, whatever.

But if you're going to have something that's barfing blood, it looks like it's dying or reminding of a grosseque scenary, or even spook someone who may have PTSD or a phobia of blood. The eyes probably don't help either, small irises refer to psychopaths or other scaremongering efforts. I could make a post about scratching my fingers across the surface of a sofa, it isn't strictly 'gore' or anything offensive but it is disturbing.

As long as there isn't a HUGE amount, it's fine. Imagine if you got caught while looking at those kind of posts in a school library.

Am I disturbed by it? Not really - I just think it looks dumb and edgy. I don't like memes.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7