Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Current wolds, riches and trade routes constellation is pretty in single-player fashion. There are so many ways to evade other players and actually only two to meet them:

- camping on some lane and praying to God to send just one nice RP-er (and there are many indeed, but 6 systems away, or playing other games)
- making a raid or event (just to realize half of your people couldn't come, but all aces are waiting happily on enemy's side)

So, yes. Sirius is too large.

And lists of players are showing us where's the battle and what side will be stronger, so we could log to harvest blues. They are showing us where pirates are, so we can F1 before meeting them.

And red kill messages showing us who's losing the battle, so we can log against them.

And are we still wondering why so many fair players said Thanks, bai.
A similar thing was proposed here.
Change is necessary.

Game is stagnant, people are bored, new content is added too slowly, it takes YEARS for new ships to be added to the game (I know that people wouldn't mind models of "lesser" quality ingame if that would mean they would be added more frequently).

Fresh blood and ideas are needed ASAP.
Yeah no. Getting rid of that much of the Mod is how you lose people, not gain them. I'm just speaking for myself here but I would not play that map, it get's rid of too much and introduces too little, I would honestly just look for a Legacy server and play that while this version that you suggest disappears.
I think we need to merge systems like Alberta into Ontario, Kansas/Vespuci into the other and so on. These dead end systems with safe mining miles away from major traffic is negatively impacting overall activity in the long run.
My take on this a while back:

[Image: V8DQECh.png]

The problem, however, is that although these ideas are absolutely necessary, crucial to the mod's survival, and would no doubt rejuvenate and distribute activity equally across Sirius, it'd take too much effort to be implemented I think.
Actually, I really like that pentagram diagram. The only House that gets moved is Liberty, and it would make a bit more sense to have the "center" of Sirius take on a Wild West sort of theme where you might run into anybody out there. What's interesting about this layout is that you could have some serious turf wars between pirate factions that are looking to secure a ripe area for lane extortion.

It would also shift the main focus of activity away from Liberty and encourage people to try other Houses, since they wouldn't be the literal center of the galaxy.

At the very least, a quick-fix would be to open up an Uncharted system permanently and plant a jump hole in the Sigmas, Taus, Omegas, Omicrons and maybe Kepler, connecting to the Uncharted system. The first Uncharted "entrance" system could be lacking of resources, so that it might encourage less PvP and more RP. Then you could have a "Deeper Uncharted" system that can only be reached from inside the "Uncharted Entrance" system. This Deeper Uncharted would be where all of the natural resources are, and where you would need to watch your back and bring a few friends with you.

Keep these Uncharted systems as a "what happens here, stays here" sort of deal, but have it so that players may only engage each other freely in the Deeper Uncharted system. Natural enemies can of course still duke it out in the Uncharted Entrance, where the Deeper Uncharted is a "Everyone is a terrorist ID now, good luck" system. This entire set up would allow almost any faction in the game to interact with one another, and yet keep the standard RP alliances here spererate from the rest of Sirius.

EDIT: I may know of a way to implement the Uncharted Entrance/Deeper Uncharted idea without having to re-balance the entire game's economy.

I know that it's possible to restrict jump holes to prevent transports from using them. I realize however that part of the reason for entering the resource rich Deeper Uncharted would be to bring transports there.

I also know that it's possible to restrict ship and commodity sales to certain IDs.

Is it also possible to restrict certain jump holes from allowing certain IDs passage? This would prevent not only transports, but entire factions from entering jump holes that they're not supposed to enter. For example, the Omega Uncharted connection would only allow factions from Bretonia or Rheinland to enter, while the Kepler Uncharted connection would only allow Liberty and Kusari factions to enter. In either example, generic IDs such as Freelancers would be able to access any jump hole, but perhaps an additional ID line could be added to Freelancers so that only transports up to a certain size are, by the rules, allowed to enter the Uncharted area.

EDIT #2: I am for the idea of combining out-of-the-way systems like Alberta/Ontario, as well. The system trimming worked fairly well before, I think. Kansas might be a special case, in that it has the alien jump gate to Unknown there, but having a turf war between Xenos/HF vs. LR for a combined Kansas/Vespucci would be neat to see. Perhaps a clear divide of who owns what portion of the system, kind of like how Omega-5 has a clear divide between the Corsairs and Hessians. A central brawl area with light minefields laid down like how they are in Omega-5 would bring a nice war-like zone to this combined Kansas/Vespucci system.
(01-05-2018, 03:10 PM)Piombo65 Wrote: [ -> ]A similar thing was proposed here.
From that linked idea:
(10-31-2016, 07:28 PM)Piombo65 Wrote: [ -> ]
The starting point on the server will be an OORP system, like Connecticut. You undock from a Starting station and there will be 7 portals (For Liberty, Bretonia, Kusari, Rheinland, Gallia and Omicrons, Malta or Crete). If you press Info (F9, if I remember) you will see a description of the "House" selected, with all his story and maybe a timeline.

Maybe such things could be implemented if you wrote the F9 texts you suggest here yourself, and then give them as a finished text to the dev team.

(01-05-2018, 03:32 PM)Clavius Wrote: [ -> ]Change is necessary.

Game is stagnant, people are bored, new content is added too slowly, it takes YEARS for new ships to be added to the game (I know that people wouldn't mind models of "lesser" quality ingame if that would mean they would be added more frequently).

Fresh blood and ideas are needed ASAP.

I don't think new ships are a sufficient motivator to keep people playing, or to get them playing again. New people will already be overwhelmed by the already existing really cool ships so a few new ones wont make a difference.

For new people, arousing their interest in the "Discovery Universe" is the most important thing, and that has to happen early on or people will leave before they even bother with trying to make friends here. Most people wont even bother looking at the forums unless they really liked the mod enough to play for several months. There are already more than enough cool ships to do that, but the problem is there is little to do with those ships, they are handed to you for a boring trade/mining grind instead of through more interesting and action-filled exploring and mission repping like there used to be in Freelancer. Right now they arrive, get taught how to make cash by players, they do a restart, they buy a big ship, and then they leave because there is nothing to do with them except fight boring and weak NPCs or get rekt by players against which you have 0 chances because git gud.

Discovery needs to offer more interesting things to explore (unique weapons, interesting lore and stories) and more action (like missions or heavily NPC-guarded places that can only be accessed with great skill or team work). And it also needs to offer more PvP opportunities that are also attractive for new people, by letting them compensate skill deficits with numbers and noob-friendly ships and weapons.

For vets who left because boredom or frustration, an environment that lets them be creative without getting shafted at every corner, plus more fresh people to interact with could be an incentive to return.

(01-05-2018, 03:42 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]My take on this a while back:

[Image: V8DQECh.png]

The problem, however, is that although these ideas are absolutely necessary, crucial to the mod's survival, and would no doubt rejuvenate and distribute activity equally across Sirius, it'd take too much effort to be implemented I think.

Not sure what that picture is supposed to express tbh, except that the omicrons should surround everything and Gallia also connected to liberty and rheinland and that is somehow supposed to make things better?

(01-05-2018, 03:41 PM)Jadon King Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah no. Getting rid of that much of the Mod is how you lose people, not gain them. I'm just speaking for myself here but I would not play that map, it get's rid of too much and introduces too little, I would honestly just look for a Legacy server and play that while this version that you suggest disappears.

(01-05-2018, 03:42 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need to merge systems like Alberta into Ontario, Kansas/Vespuci into the other and so on. These dead end systems with safe mining miles away from major traffic is negatively impacting overall activity in the long run.

Just changing the jump connections like described in my previous post would already concentrate people more into the sample places, without removing any content at all.
(01-05-2018, 04:32 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe such things could be implemented if you wrote the F9 texts you suggest here yourself, and then give them as a finished text to the dev team.

But I'm not a Infocard writer...
(01-05-2018, 04:36 PM)Piombo65 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2018, 04:32 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe such things could be implemented if you wrote the F9 texts you suggest here yourself, and then give them as a finished text to the dev team.

But I'm not a Infocard writer...

But you'd already be doing part of the necessary work, instead of just asking others to do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4