Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Systems were reduced, altered, shrinked and deleted already in many reacent updated versions of this game, and along systems shirinking, population of this game has shrinked to , so no, shirinking is obviusly not answer.
(01-05-2018, 04:38 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2018, 04:36 PM)Piombo65 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2018, 04:32 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe such things could be implemented if you wrote the F9 texts you suggest here yourself, and then give them as a finished text to the dev team.

But I'm not a Infocard writer...

But you'd already be doing part of the necessary work, instead of just asking others to do it.

I'd have many things to do/propose/change in this mod but:
1) The proposes will be refused
2) I start to think about it but after short time the will immediately disappears
3) If the will doesn't disappear, the time does it.
(01-05-2018, 05:03 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]Systems were reduced, altered, shrinked and deleted already in many reacent updated versions of this game, and along systems shirinking, population of this game has shrinked to , so no, shirinking is obviusly not answer.

That's funny, considering the fact that one of the biggest population drops happened right after 4.86 hit, which added a metric crapton of useless buffer systems.

Edit: I like Lyth's template a lot. A more condensed galaxy map would certainly be better for the current population as it would make it much easier to run into players who would otherwise be on the other side of Sirius, 20 minutes away. However, introducing such a drastic change would bring its own problems, like rebalancing every single trade route, and it just seems like way too much work.
Can’t see the images because of my stupid country but I can guess this is a good idea. In fact, probably the best option imo however convincing half the server for such a change is impossible. For many years the mod added many number of systems arbitrarily or for a reason when that was useful, but removing them or moving them around to suit your needs when such also becomes useful feels quite an insane idea to some.
While i like the general idea of that, it would include massive re-balance and almost a complete rewrite of the existing system connections and would take atleast 10 patches to get all routes balanced and jumphole/jumpgate distances set properly
(01-05-2018, 05:03 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]Systems were reduced, altered, shrinked and deleted already in many reacent updated versions of this game, and along systems shirinking, population of this game has shrinked to , so no, shirinking is obviusly not answer.

Yet for every deleted or shrinked system we got 2 new systems. We have more systems now with 5 times smaller playerbase than in 4.85, we have more than a year ago and more than a year before that. Is it really surprising interaction is becoming harder and harder to find? As people mentioned, this has been discussed many times before and ultimately majority of the community agrees that a purge of singleplayer systems that have 1 average unique visit per month would incourage interaction.

Systems alone aren't the only issue, there's also an even bigger factor which is activity hubs. Those aren't necessarily dependent on the amount of systems, but they are -very- dependent on connections between systems. If New York connected only to Alaska, would it be an activity hub? Yet it's the most iconic system when we think of "how to find a player as quickly as possible". I'd rather see a lot of jumpholes and jumpgates being purged so we end up with -much- less connections in general, bottlenecking routes. There wouldn't be a need to remove (too many) systems if the amount of potential ways you can get from point A to point B is limited.
Whilist the op template is a no-go, I'd consider Lyth's template. But still, there is one more thing missing - the independant worlds. If they are marked by blue arrows, then I'm ok with that.
(01-05-2018, 11:58 PM)Antonio Wrote: [ -> ]There wouldn't be a need to remove (too many) systems if the amount of potential ways you can get from point A to point B is limited.

Amen. We could still keep a whole lot of systems for the ones who like to explore, even put things in those with rewards who take the time to do that and enjoy that.

Discovery doesn't have to be in the way of everything else. The main gameplay area, especially defined by viable trading routes which I hope could lead to a domino effect, should be emphasized enough to get people to take the same routes more often than not, so everyone have more chances to meet and interact.

Edit: Well, as I say "We", that's of course not me and most people. It's easy to talk like this in my position for sure, as in the end it is the devs who'll decide if such an effort is worth it, anyway.
(01-05-2018, 03:41 PM)Jadon King Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah no. Getting rid of that much of the Mod is how you lose people, not gain them. I'm just speaking for myself here but I would not play that map, it get's rid of too much and introduces too little, I would honestly just look for a Legacy server and play that while this version that you suggest disappears.

I have to side with Jadon. Besides, I see a decent amount of interactivity. If we want to really reel people in, we should be banking on Librelancer, which could breathe new life into both Freelancer and its' respective mods and their communities.
(01-05-2018, 11:58 PM)Antonio Wrote: [ -> ]Systems alone aren't the only issue, there's also an even bigger factor which is activity hubs.

The thing with activity hubs is that each and every time there was (and is) an activity hub (generated by various things), people deliberately try to destroy it for one reason or another, in one way or another. And they've always been successful except in New York, although god knows they tried to destroy New York as an activity hub too. Here are some more or less prominent examples:

1. Omicron Minor 4.85: Activity created mainly by new players grinding Order missions to rep up for the best Battleship in the Mod (Osiris) or helping other players do tough missions for fun. There are also many nearby PvP adversaries only 1 or 2 bases away (Nomads from Iota, BHG in Delta, LN in Alaska). Why people wanted to destroy it: Allegedly a playground for "lolwhuts" who need to be run off the server because they dont RP and fight the way official factions (Order, Keepers, LN) want them to. How hub was destroyed: Omicron Minor completely destroyed, Alaska/Minor jump removed, large distances and buffer systems added, need for mission grinding removed through restarts.

2. Omicron Alpha and Gamma 4.84 (also 4.85 but already a bit less: Activity created by having the higher end weaponry available (therefore mission repping and visitors to buy weps) and high yield cardamine and artifact smuggling routes, nearby enemies like =CR= and Hessians, piracy targets like IMG and Krueger, and ALpha/Gamma raids. Why people wanted to destroy it: Drama because of "unfair" and "unwanted" Alpha/Gamma raids, inter-faction rivalries and "drop everything" demands for IRP unethical smuggling cargo. How it was destroyed: Buffer systems, Gallic invasion, re-balancing of gear, removal of mission repping grind.

3. Mining POBS 4.86-now Activity created by increased security and profit in mining and the feeling of building something. Why people wanted to destroy them: Pirates find it easier to pirate without those bases, and/or they don't like the people running the bases, and/or just think POBs are bad and should all be destroyed, and/or want to be in complete control of their turf and destroy it because its a way of exerting the power they have. How they were destroyed: Find a reason to destroy them, or create a reason to destroy them, using merciless ganksquads or finding other ways to shaft the owners.

4. PvP-Active factions Activity created by attractive action-laden gameplay without too much concern about whether the other players enjoy the encounter too. Why they end up being destroyed: They will always create drama because in discovery PvP always creates accusations of ganking and unfairness. How they are destroyed: If they're run or protected by influential people, they'll end up being absolutely loathed, avoided, and covered in scorn because of double standards in gear, rights, and sanctions, until they fade away (phantoms, keepers, reavers). If they aren't run by influential people, the leaders who are highly motivated and drivers of the activity will end up getting banned indefinitely because they annoyed influential people.

The overall pattern is that there is no consensus, and no common ground, that the community can establish:

-Is using numbers to win always ok, never ok, ok in certain situations, or do we use double standards depending on who it is?

-Should the rep grind really be removed out of convenience, even if it kills PvE and activity hubs?

-Should players really be able to heavily affect other players game play, such as building POBs in certain locations, or destroying months of work?

-Should vets be privileged over new people because their fun is really more important in the end, should players who have trouble integrating be driven off, or should we concentrate on gaining population?

-Are long bans of highly active people really a good way to solve problems, or arent there many other tools at the disposal to punish and defuse (gear deletion, restraining orders to attack certain factions or stay out of certain systems)

There is no consensus and constant squabbling about these things, and in my opinion the mod/community leadership is partly to blame for it by not being able to build a consensus and clear position on this either, which it could use to shape the environment and guide players into more tolerance of each other.
Pages: 1 2 3 4