Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It's very normal for any kind of community to not agree on most things tbh.

It seems to me that for half of the people the current activity is at least 'okay', so they don't really care much to think anything else other than the consensus among their group. But a topic like activity is quite more important than like the ones in which you'd decide what ships should be implemented, and such simple things are much more easier to agree on. The trouble is that you don't get to bring activity back easily once it's gone, and we have lost a lot of it. Waiting for a consensus to happen naturally when everyone gets bit by this matter individually just might be a tad too late.

In the end it is the devs who will do it and you should just keep on bothering them if you want something you want to happen. Kinda like how everything happened and thankfully, as there's never a consensus, nothing would happen otherwise I suppose.

I'll be very thankful to the dev or admin who comes up and tells what their individual opinion is, really. Not only for the idea that's suggested in this thread's OP necessarily, but the general idea of squeezing the active playing zones in some way to make interaction more likely. Because this feels like a touch more extreme than the earlier mod updates, it would result in the shape of the map changing a lot for a singular purpose, and could probably have adverse effects too.
(01-05-2018, 01:33 PM)Gerhard Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Well, what would you do then to increase the amount of player interactions?

Remove those stupid buffer systems and POBs.
(01-06-2018, 02:51 AM)Sol Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be very thankful to the dev or admin who comes up and tells what their individual opinion is, really. Not only for the idea that's suggested in this thread's OP necessarily, but the general idea of squeezing the active playing zones in some way to make interaction more likely. Because this feels like a touch more extreme than the earlier mod updates, it would result in the shape of the map changing a lot for a singular purpose, and could probably have adverse effects too.

Everyone knew that players need to be squeezed together more since early 4.86.

But from some reason devs werent able to do it. Not even the simple task of deleting (or un-attaching) systems or re-arranging jump paths, for god knows what reason. I'm guessing it may have to do with individual faction leaders who want to keep their turf as big and as empty of "undesirables" as possible, and with devs who dont want to undo their previous work.

What the OP is suggesting here is pretty much changing the entire map and every trading/mining route there is. That's not only impossible to accomplish in the near future, its also unnecessary. Just changing jump routes to create more bottlenecks without even bothering to "re-balance" trade pricing will already have a positive effect. If one or two routes become "OP" through that, people will take those routes a lot, pirates will camp those routes, and there you already have more activity.

But from past experience over 8 years, you can expect no "squeezing toegether" of players (there are hardly any left to squeeze together now), no help system to help integrate noobs easier, no lore and law teaching infocards to make learning RP easier, not even help buoys, no attempt at creating consensus on acceptable or unacceptable PvP behavior (except maybe another call of "everyone should be super super excellent to each other and if they arent then go ahead and mob them" which will only lead to more intolerance and hypocrisy instead of more tolerance), no new rules for POBs to keep people from engaging in frustrating and destructive behavior, no re-balancing of gear and unwritten rules so new people can participate in PvP and have fun, no re-introduction of PvE and mission-repping to create activity hubs and give people who dont have friends yet something to log on for.

Dont even expect a statement on what devs or admins intend to do, or if they even have a plan.

Instead expect 10 more senseless back and forth updates about Sabre hitboxes, Battlecruiser speeds, and aux slots. And maybe one more or less conflict in some corner of Sirius, and Gallia will take another system.

(01-06-2018, 03:54 AM)Venkman Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2018, 01:33 PM)Gerhard Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Well, what would you do then to increase the amount of player interactions?

Not remove POBs.

Make rules that make people build them in places that create more interactions instead of less, such as near (or inside) allied NPC bases.

As a POB owner, I would appreciate my helpful piggy bank and bag of holding NOT being deleted.

HOW ABOUT NO.

EDIT: Okay, I'll admit that was a bit harsh, but still - removing content is a *BAD* idea. Changing things around like what Lyth said after this post would be more of a favorable option than just nuking one of the biggest features - especially since in the case of installations like Emlenton, help boost trade and Mining, as well as in the case of the Carthage incident back in October, RP and PvP.

Buffer systems being removed would hinder unlawful activity, and adds more to issues.
The issue isn't really too many systems. Actually, more systems create more places for places to explore. The issue is the lack of decent connections and good hotspots both between and within those systems. I.e, the removal of the Minor-Alaska hole, the Iridium field being in the middle of nowhere in Lost (quite apt), removal of the old Theta-Sigma route and so forth.

I don't think people would be angry if i.e 10 new Omicrons were added next update, as long as the connections between the existing/important ones were kept or rather improved (they do need to be).
(01-06-2018, 02:47 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]The issue isn't really too many systems. Actually, more systems create more places for places to explore. The issue is the lack of decent connections and good hotspots both between and within those systems. I.e, the removal of the Minor-Alaska hole, the Iridium field being in the middle of nowhere in Lost (quite apt), removal of the old Theta-Sigma route and so forth.

I don't think people would be angry if i.e 10 new Omicrons were added next update, as long as the connections between the existing/important ones were kept or rather improved (they do need to be).
+1
(01-06-2018, 02:47 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]The issue isn't really too many systems. Actually, more systems create more places for places to explore. The issue is the lack of decent connections and good hotspots both between and within those systems. I.e, the removal of the Minor-Alaska hole, the Iridium field being in the middle of nowhere in Lost (quite apt), removal of the old Theta-Sigma route and so forth.

Agreed. More systems would be great, as long as the connections betwixt them are good for activity.
(01-06-2018, 02:51 AM)Sol Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be very thankful to the dev or admin who comes up and tells what their individual opinion is, really. Not only for the idea that's suggested in this thread's OP necessarily, but the general idea of squeezing the active playing zones in some way to make interaction more likely. Because this feels like a touch more extreme than the earlier mod updates, it would result in the shape of the map changing a lot for a singular purpose, and could probably have adverse effects too.

In 15 minutes I'm going to do a devstream where I'll touch on that. It would be wicked cool if people would pop into twitch and ask questions and whatnot.
oh nice Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4