Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: In Vote Natio Octavarium - NO-
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
"Octavarium" doesn't mean anything in Latin. Your declension would be wrong even if it meant something, as "natio" is feminine, and thus "octavaria" would be correct. "Eighth" is "octavo".

Best tag ever, though.
The actual origin's connected to the original VR.

Permit us a bit of BSing on this one, if you would.
BSing (both the antiswear-unfriendly term and battleshipping) is something I'm very happy to see here. But I hope you won't mind if I BS on your BS? Smile

By the way, who's the 7th nation?
Well, that depends on how you calculate things.

Obviously the first four are Bretonia, Liberty, Kusari, and Rheinland. That's easy.

Crayter is another one, bringing the count to five.

Malta and Crete can be counted as six and seven, making us eighth, because we reject Gallia's legitimacy.

An alternate way to argue it is that Hispania is sixth, and suffering an unfortunate civil war, and the Coalition is seventh, and we still reject Gallia.

Or you can discount Crayter and put Gallia on the list, but given that we're even smaller it'd be kinda rude to skip over them with no particular diplomatic reason.
I'll admit, I've based view of things based on old NO and assuming it's a direct recreation without much changes. Out of curiosity, could you enlighten me as to why a CR ID wouldn't suit? Excuse my ignorance, but technically it could give you more freedom in some areas.
The biggest problem we ran into with CR ID was the rephacks. Did you know that even though =CR= has a Red-level visa to O-52 and NO- was easily able to get Yellow, the CR ID is rephacked hostile to Coalition civilians?

There's also a hostile Hessian rephack that's unlisted on the Mactan Network thing.

At that point I frankly got sick of dealing with undocumented rephacks that don't need to exist obstructing RP, probably won't be fixed for a while, and even when they do get fixed needlessly complicate correcting the reps after the rephack screws them up. Most of this, I suspect, stems from reusing former Guard factions for new factions and forgetting to remove the old, now-unnecessary rephacks.

There's also the matter of our very well documented history with the Outcasts, which would for practical purposes be near-impossible to act on had we stuck with CR ID.

The extra freedoms of the CR ID don't really do much for us either; our interest in warships is minimal, and outside of our immediate area we're not interested in initiating any fights because we don't have the resources for it. Again, primarily defensive.
(05-11-2018, 11:46 PM)Thunderer Wrote: [ -> ]"Octavarium" doesn't mean anything in Latin. Your declension would be wrong even if it meant something, as "natio" is feminine, and thus "octavaria" would be correct. "Eighth" is "octavo".

Best tag ever, though.

The original Vagrant Raiders faction was an elaborate series of Dream Theater jokes disguised as a Lane Hacker affiliated faction. I had to sneak one in somewhere in honour of Josh and the original Vagrant Fleet. My Latin is indeed terrible Tongue

You can definitely BS on our BS. We'll just have to throw BS back at you instead of a BS!

Thex has basically covered everything for me while I've been in meetings all day, but who's voiced their support and feedback, thank you. We won't let you down. Smile

(05-11-2018, 11:56 PM)Thexare Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that depends on how you calculate things.

I think my way of viewing it was based on a count of Sirian nations. We recognize Gallia exists (and is a potential existential threat to smaller Sirian nations), but they don't consider their nation to be one of Sirius so neither do we. Though chances are that was just retroactive BS to explain a crappy Dream Theater joke.
I remember the Vagrant Raiders and enjoyed interacting with them, but I want to make a comment which has more to do with one small aspect of this (only indirectly linked to this particular proposal): Kansas. I really don't like that it's become rather populated in the last years, because the remote and mysterious atmosphere of the system, looking for the way to the shrine, and finally finding it was something really cool when it was first introduced as a remote and rather hidden system. When Kansas become more populated and also closer to Liberty, it really didn't make sense anymore that the LSF and LN don't have their hands all over the alien jump gate. Hopefully an Outcast-allied nomad friendly faction can help restore some realism by depopulating they system of nomad/oracle enemies. I would also prefer if you were based closer to Malta and not at the edge of the Outcast ZO.

edit: also, I' keep the name Vagrant Raiders rather than call it Natio Octavarium.
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Karlotta.

We're in Tau-44.

And Kansas has an LSF Battlecruiser base in it now, so theoretically the LSF can poke at the weird alien thingy all they want.

Did we accidentally miss a spot in the various lore updates?
Woops. My bad. Shoulda read it all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11