Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Thuringia is an ancient name, doesn’t sound german at all, I recommend to name it Thüringen since that is the actual name of the region here.
(07-18-2018, 09:12 AM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]Thuringia is an ancient name, doesn’t sound german at all, I recommend to name it Thüringen since that is the actual name of the region here.

Wikipedia Wrote:The Free State of Thuringia (English: /θəˈrɪndʒiə/; German: Freistaat Thüringen, pronounced [ˈfʁaɪʃtaːt ˈtyːʁɪŋən]) is a federal state in central Germany.
(07-18-2018, 09:15 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 09:12 AM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]Thuringia is an ancient name, doesn’t sound german at all, I recommend to name it Thüringen since that is the actual name of the region here.

Wikipedia Wrote:The Free State of Thuringia (English: /θəˈrɪndʒiə/; German: Freistaat Thüringen, pronounced [ˈfʁaɪʃtaːt ˈtyːʁɪŋən]) is a federal state in central Germany.

I didn't claim anything different but you could have called it Thuringen to at least make it sound more German but since renaming Koeln to Cologne was a "necessary" change as well I get what you're thinking.

Edit: Since we're at it, why do some Rheinland locations remain in classic German and some don't? Konstanz, Brandenburg, Donau, Freiburg etc. all these things have English exonyms.
What kind of snowflake attitude is this? This is what modern memes joke about - wherever you go, someone is offended. And to cater for that minority things are rolling fast. That very impressed Poland oppressed and colonised my country for centuries and the cities of Helm and Przhemysl were not found as Polish. So what? Who cares about what happened in Medieval times when even the concept of nation did not exist? And why is Königsberg offencncive to Russians? Speaking with Russians on Disco I haven't yet met an offended in this regard, only the jokes to the point exist. Every day we stray further from whatever god's people are worshiping and from rational indifference.
It's not worthy to rant about, really. There are enough names out there that aren't related to WW/Hitler/etc. stuff and Konigsburg is a rather weirdly specific one, just like some people have chosen to use rather weirdly specific Nazi-Germany images and names for their Rheinland characters. When it's possible to avoid that, avoid it. There will always be people who get very, very easily offended by things they never experienced themselves and some people are just bandwagoning, but I see no reason why to be adamant on keeping specific quasi-provocative content when it can be avoided easily.
>Let's give Rheinland the german dub audio
>Let's rename german names to their english equivalent

It leaves me confused. Why was Koeln renamed? Cologne reminds me of this...
The original Konigsberg/Thuringia concept had a naming sheme of the norse mythology. Maybe it should have been kept that way.
I don't really get why people would be triggered by a historical name. Konigsberg was supposed to be a remnant from the old imperial Rheinland time, right? So, back then, Rheinland would be the equivalent of imperial Germany prior to WW1. If so, do you also get triggered when playing Darkest Hour or Europa Universalis or any other game in which you see Prussia still owning Konigsberg?

Point and case, the name fit well. How ridiculous.
(07-18-2018, 11:59 AM)SkyNet Wrote: [ -> ]The original Konigsberg/Thuringia concept had a naming sheme of the norse mythology. Maybe it should have been kept that way.

I think both work. Konigsberg/Thuringia being an old part of Germany that isn't part of Germany anymore, fits the theme, due to the imperial associations (of the various Germanic empires/kingdoms of their varying manifestations).

The Norse theme fitted for the sense of it being a mysterious, near-mythological system, along with being very, very old. Both work.

Konigsberg/east Prussia isn't obstensibly connected to the Nazis. The problem with people using actual WW2 german soldiers and SS figures as character reference images in comms is a much bigger problem, in my eyes. We should have banned people from using Nazis as character images a long time ago, as it breaks the offensive/racist materials rule, even if that isn't the intention of the image.
On the topic of offensive content - has anyone noticed that the Hiroshima system has (or had, I haven't checked in 4.90) it's own nuclear fallout accident plaguing the system's north-west part. For some reason the first time I saw it the first thing that came to mind was it being a subtle reference to Little Boy. I have no idea if it was intentional or not though and I'm only pointing it out as an example.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10