Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Bering Upgrade Thread.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
As something of a community contribution/something I'd like to package to the devs on behalf of the official groups within Bering, the system is likely going to become a warzone one formal raids can be organised in September. However, it's extremely boring, both visually, audiably, and from a gameplay perspective, a problem that only recently got better with the last few updates.

I'm currently working on a new Bering appropriate for the types of activity expected to occur in it. The idea is to keep all the basic elements of what makes Bering work (the same trade lanes, station positions, etc), whilst adding in a few minor environmental dangers (such as increasing the travel distance between Pacifica and Marshal with hazards along the way, so that the general good-health distance for combat between hostile bases: 50k, is observed), along with some general visual colour extracted from real world astronomy. As I don't feel qualified to mess around with major gameplay loops like mining zone or station locations, they'll stay as they are.

Content to be added includes: Various different non-planetary solars, different sized asteroids, dust fields (to mimic the real-world astronomical effect of the thermal degradation of asteroids as they approach a star), a rather deadly, but easy to go above/below/to-the-side-of minefield, a load of new infocards, updating old infocards, a Pacifica remodel, a few nearly harmless flavour radiation zones, including one near the gate, implying that the gate is degrading over time, more wrecks, a tilted dust ring around the star, adding more verticality to the system, swapping out the asteroid ambient music for the tanner Belt with a jazzier track, a few other random doodads I'll think of as I go along, upgrading the bar rumours on Freeport 2 and Pacifica to reflect current storyline events.

Intention is to submit the completed system, prettified to the level of a Discovery system, at some point in the near future, whilst still preserving suspense of disbelief that this is the same Bering it's always been. Will keep the thread updated as my progress develops.

Everyone is allowed to give some visual advice, and I'd happily take Separatist/Junker input too.

- This is a community contribution. It will be sent in as a Development Request with the full files once it is proven to run without major bugs or crashes.

- This is not an officially sanctioned development. I am not a dev.

- If this is rejected, it doesn't really matter, this is a skill development project.

[Image: UqmTpay.png?1]

Fullsize: (red and Blue particle FX more visible): https://i.imgur.com/t6wKWFA.png
Project coming along well. Added an orange tilted ring into the system's sun, altered from the Touraine ring but otherwise heavily customised from there, which adds a lot of system depth. Experimenting with lightgrey/wheat coloured clouds of particulate matter, currently testing one near the hudson hole. I realise the place is named after Bering the explorer, but precedent is fun, and it's thematically appropriate.

Decided I'll name things in the system based off Islands in the Bering strait, a-la, Pacifica, which already follows this name convention. Any wrecks will go by Alaskan tribal names, E.: LNS Athabaska.
[Image: 7fOGPdN.png?1]

- Ring V0.1. V0.1 Punuk Dust Field in the far left, just covering the Hudson hole. On the interior, it's nearer to white than dark.
Playing with the idea of a demarcation line in Buoys and wrecks splitting the system in half in an act of visual storytelling. It'd be a fun way to show how heavily contested the system is, and which side the Unioners own, which side the Seperatists have. Will boost up the NPC patrols to catalyse NPC fights along that line.

The idea's taken from the real-world Bering strait, which was a massive point of contention in the Cold War. Harmony gets the side with the lanes, whilst the gate is right in the middle.
I think that Bering should be separated in at least two parts.
Since it's a combat system, It'd be good to discourage border-running by moving the death wall closer. It'd be nice to have an RP-acceptable reason for it, too.
As a Junker, I think it would be neat and nifty if there were a stationary Salvager or two in the PScrap field, possibly labeled "Scrap miner" or similar.
Not exactly a major thing, I know. But a detail that'd be sure to not go unnoticed. Maybe toss in some dirty dust similar to what can be seen in some fields in Omega-2, in said scrap field.
(08-17-2018, 02:58 AM)Galaxian Wrote: [ -> ]As a Junker, I think it would be neat and nifty if there were a stationary Salvager or two in the PScrap field, possibly labeled "Scrap miner" or similar.
Not exactly a major thing, I know. But a detail that'd be sure to not go unnoticed. Maybe toss in some dirty dust similar to what can be seen in some fields in Omega-2, in said scrap field.

Sounds good, thanks for the idea! Will do!

Any other local factions (Unioner/Seperatist/Xeno/Junker/LSF) got things you either want, or will add gameplay/visual appeal, post a reply below.
Can't comment on what I cannot see really.
There's neither a map draft nor more than one picture.
Has there been any dev-signing-off on this? System design can be very time consuming, and you want to be sure you're not wasting your time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4