Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Aliens killing transports without a demand is bad for gameplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
I understand that Nomads making demands sounds silly, but it's necessary from a gameplay perspective. There is no other ID in the mod that can so freely kill transports without making a demand AND being able to do it in Caps. There's a reason why people are so abrasive to allow Xenos/Maquis gunboats to their IDs. There's a reason why Nomad incursions into the Houses were done with such rarity and exclusivity because that on a daily basis accessible by all players would kill trading.

Not only are both mining fields in Delta within breathing room of Lich, but Alien ships can just undock and instant-yeet any transport or miner that tries to create ambient activity with little-to-no risk or pushback, and can make a quick retreat to the base if it looks like things are coming to kill them. Right now, the way things are setup, is just not healthy for gameplay at all.

Yes, I can understand the necessity of some counter-play for Omicron mining (then again, there are plenty of human IDs with a range of reasons to disrupt a variety of ID'd mining ops) but this just isn't it, and it's neither fun or creates longevity.

tl;dr Nomad/Wild IDs should not be allowed to blow up transports without a demand, at the very least in the Edge Worlds. Something as simple as asking them to drop their cargo may be enough or asking them to leave the area.
Uh huh, so what are they supposed to do to transports? Demand 5 million credits?

I thought this was Flood for a second, but you're actually serious. Doesn't even merit discussion.
Indie nomad caps cant engage transports anyway last i knew
(03-23-2019, 10:24 AM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]Uh huh, so what are they supposed to do to transports? Demand 5 million credits?

I thought this was Flood for a second, but you're actually serious. Doesn't even merit discussion.

People cracked the same jokes (myself included) about Nomads making demands against POBs, and that was also a change that was necessary for the sake of gameplay.

If you've got nothing to add to the discussion, don't bother. I'd like to see people actually try to challenge my arguments here.
I think the ID is fine. The fields in Delta need to be shifted/adjusted imo.
Can't really have nomads making piracy demands, within rp constraints. You would have to make some convoluted way for traders to have some sort of special item, that if they willingly and pre-emptively surrendered, the nomads wouldn't be allowed to attack the transport for that encounter....
(03-23-2019, 10:38 AM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]I think the ID is fine. The fields in Delta need to be shifted/adjusted imo.

Yeah, they really do. The placement is a bit silly right now.

(03-23-2019, 10:39 AM)WPeregrine Wrote: [ -> ]Can't really have nomads making piracy demands, within rp constraints. You would have to make some convoluted way for traders to have some sort of special item, that if they willingly and pre-emptively surrendered, the nomads wouldn't be allowed to attack the transport for that encounter....

Asking them to leave is an option. It'd be like animals in a territorial conflict.
I think getting killed by Nomads in a transport is fine. It's a low risk as Nomad encounters are rather rare.
But we could increase the profit of Delta's ores to make up for the risk, as Nomad encounters are frequent there.
Am I seeing it wrong or should nomads disregard transports as combat targets and instead attempt to corrupt the crew with nomad bad voodoo black magic
(03-23-2019, 10:46 AM)MasterL410 Wrote: [ -> ]I think getting killed by Nomads in a transport is fine. It's a low risk as Nomad encounters are rather rare.
But we could increase the profit of Delta's ores to make up for the risk, as Nomad encounters are frequent there.

Omicron ores kind of need a serious balance pass and discussion as to how they can be made decent. I agree, the risk is astronomical compared to other ores, yet the profit is no different (or even worse?). The only problem with balancing economy around players like that is it means during low pop the profits could be broken. It's a tricky predicament.

Also you say the encounters are both frequent and low risk? Big Grin I'd be inclined to agree with the former.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17