Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why do you think Core| is a bad faction ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
As for Core|, getting back into line, just log. You got chances in the Omicrons, you got chances in the Omegas, you got chances in Sigmas. Your roleplay is yours. It is up to you how you handle it and how you conduct themselves, it is up to the universe how to react to it.

<3
(04-17-2019, 02:59 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Horw unexpected, this thread is already becoming deconstructive. I think this thread is unnecessary, and Jessi has made it without the support or permission of the HC (so she doesn't really represent it, and none of us have doubts about the state of the faction right now).

I'll say one thing: I'd love more snubs too. However this isn't a problem with Core (I didn't make the archangel skips to waste money). If I fly a snub, I get met with several dual MR shuttles and that ***** is so unfun it discourages me. If not that, people won't budge off their caps or they bring something with a cloak so I'm forced onto a cap with a cloak CD.

So basically the majority of the time the only thing I'm ever allowed to fly is a solaris Thresher. It's why I was so hype for the Omegas because the Omicrons are lame for pvp.

Stop being nepo. Not everyone who flies snubs is nepo.
(04-17-2019, 03:03 PM)Wesker Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-17-2019, 02:59 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Horw unexpected, this thread is already becoming deconstructive. I think this thread is unnecessary, and Jessi has made it without the support or permission of the HC (so she doesn't really represent it, and none of us have doubts about the state of the faction right now).

I'll say one thing: I'd love more snubs too. However this isn't a problem with Core (I didn't make the archangel skips to waste money). If I fly a snub, I get met with several dual MR shuttles and that ***** is so unfun it discourages me. If not that, people won't budge off their caps or they bring something with a cloak so I'm forced onto a cap with a cloak CD.

So basically the majority of the time the only thing I'm ever allowed to fly is a solaris Thresher. It's why I was so hype for the Omegas because the Omicrons are lame for pvp.

Stop being nepo. Not everyone who flies snubs is nepo.

Don't drag me into this
You're right. 4 Solaris threshers in Omega3 skirmishes did not deserve lore recognition, but the same way 15-20 defending bombers didn't. Let's talk about actual issues now, please.
(04-17-2019, 02:59 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I get met with several dual MR shuttles

Blame devs for nerfing SNAC and giving me something better to smack ya snubs (sun)
Wesker you know as well as I do after the uncharted event the other day the problem is not (only) with Core. Order, Corsairs, Zoners Outcasts etc all flying caps with little snubs in sight (meanwhile Core actually did field snubs). I'd really like a swing back to snub fights (or at least more varied cap fights), but no matter how hard I've pushed for it other players (and whatever cheese mechanics are available) make that style of play not fun. It'd be all too easy to start fielding several dual MR shuttles ourselves, but that's just contributing to the problem.
The way the Core| has been going lately is a good improvement to me. There's more genuine (at least to me) desire to make the RP work, and more legitimacy in the concept beyond being 'evil hur dur bad guys who nuke freeports for cigarettes'. I've always liked the idea of the Core, but the execution was always a bit lack luster. Nowadays, it's working, so keep it up.
I'll start by saying that I don't think Core is a bad faction, but it has issues executing it's purpose.

Core has from the start been involved in both Omicrons and Omegas, but with player activity they have been mostly seen within the Omicrons where they are closer to their purpose (Imperium Omicronis, fighting nomads etc). From the start the faction was supposed to have an influence within the Omegas as well, but it never got to doing so and now that we're at that point where people got used to no Core activity in these systems they don't like it. It's "new", it's different and it's hard to accept changes, changes that are were actually there from the start. I think the issue comes from Core not making influential moves in the Omegas from the start, but we can't change the past and we can only deal with what we have now.

To think about it: what would be the problem that a faction (that's been around for years and everyone knows) to be active in a few more systems than usual, systems that were always there at their disposal? Sure, it's easy to say Core is in the Omicrons, but does anyone ever think how much of the Omicrons can Core inRP actually influence and have players go to? Let me point them out:
  • Omicron Rho (home system, pretty dead is used only for transit and inRP purposes)
  • Omicron Delta (a hub of activity that inRP Core controls and it has provided with numerous events and things to do over the years)
  • Omicron Minor (well not really. just a forward base for Core to delve into nomad territory. another transit system where Core has a "hidden" base but nobody likes to go there cause there's no gameplay purpose and the place looks like ass)
I was thinking of Omicron Lost but that's just a dead end systems taken over by Vagrants and AI. Nothing to do there. No reason to look for anything. The only purpose it would have would be a battlefield between humans and nomads at Moros, but with the addition of Lich in Delta there's no need for that (bad move creating Lich imo since it takes almost no time getting from Lost to Delta battlezones).

So I'll ask again, now that we got to evaluate what actually means "Core in the Omicrons". What would be that bad if Core expanded in the Omegas as the faction was initially intended?

Another issue I'd like to touch: I sometimes hear people say "Core powergame, Core OP". Claims that are just blatantly wrong and hypocritical. Core is not "that strong"; it's strong in the few territories it controls, but with the increased number of enemies it's only capable of defending what it has without realistically being able to expand towards the "Imperium Omicronis" in a swift manner. Sure it gets stronger in time and slowly expands, but I'm gonna underline slowly.

Core didn't get it's inRP assets, resources, relationships and pretty much anything as a gift or through some biased intervention from a dev/admin at some point. Core built everything it got by creating relationships slowly and systematically with every house and its corporations. There is a saying and tendency within Core players that I never understood but I had to respect and go along with - "Core pride" - in regards to doing anything, be it PVP, RP, building shit in the APM etc. In short it's a way the members influence eachother to be tryhards and put work in what they do for Core.

A big issue for Core players is the fact that they don't log anymore, and I can't blame them. I wasn't around a few years ago when there was a meta of gank or be ganked, but ever since I've been back Core seems to be suffering from their past mistakes tenfold. There aren't the same players these days in Core and not the same numbers, yet there still is a tendency of accusing them of ganking whenever the opposing side loses a fight. This rocky past also gives other factions an excuse to gank Core with every change they get, and they do. I've seen first hand how almost every single enemy faction in the Omicrons had no remorse in piling caps on Core ships unprovoked. When people tell me that Core ganks, I'd like to see it because as an active player I never witness these ganks (Core don't log enough to be able to gank first of all).

Realistically this shouldn't be an issue (space wild west, dangerous areas yadayadayada), but in gameplay you can accept getting ganked so many times before you stop logging that faction alone or at all. I didn't have an issue getting ganked at the start, but being alone and dying to some 3 [insert hostile faction ship] over and over got tiring and demoralizing. I'm logging less and less and I can't blame Cores for not taking initiative and logging on their own.

Honestly Core players should grow some balls and get back in the game.

To push forward on the "Core don't log" - they don't have many reasons to do so. Development has sadly ignored the Omicrons lately (i'm not talking about events and occasional activity generation; I'm talking about world changes to RP around) and the situation has gotten a bit stale and repetitive. They SHOULD be logging now that Core pushed towards the Omegas.

Core Roleplay - it's usually fun to roleplay as core, an arrogant idiot that cares nothing but his own or his organizations gain, but people don't like this. Core is tagged as a [lawful] faction, but we all know there's nothing lawful about being the pirates of the Egde Worlds. Core will find any reason to shakedown or exploit others resources or work, and players don't like this coming from a "lawful" faction. I think it should be made clear somehow that Core are NOT good guys. They never were, they just pretend in front of the big boyz (houses).

In terms of roleplay I like it, but I feel like it's damaging gameplay. Not sure if this is a faction lore issue or if it's an issue caused by the views of outside players that can't adapt and accept this concept. Either way, nobody in Core is forced to rolepalay like this; it's a choice and a general tendency, but nobody has ever been punished for being a kind and nice player inRP.
Core didnt magically get its stuff. It was all earned. Nauru took years and years before it was finally put in game. When Core got Yaren, we lost Dabadoru. Base for a base. Its a price we paid. One of our recent projects, the megalodon, is still wip. Name one faction that has shipped upwards of 1.1 million units of a single commodity for a single ship. And that is just phase one. We are going to make subprojects for all major aspects of the ship, because this is what Core does. We earn our stuff. We dont steal our stuff via shady rp. We dont ninja stuff in because we have friends in high places. Oh and ugh, I am aware that I am in the staff, but I can say for sure this is not helping the faction. On the contrary, its hurting it. All Core requests are taking much longer to process because I have no say. The time I could spend on Core affairs is spent on GM work. I feel Im not the leader I could have been if I wasnt in the staff. But it is what it is and I am what I am.

Now, the next matter at hand. Ganing. Ganking is an issue and it has been an issue ever since the dawn of discovery. Not just with Core, but with every faction. Fair play is not a solo job. Treat people like you want to be treated. Those who know me will understand what I mean. Im not usually a vindictive man, but that being said, I will fight fire with fire. Core is not the kind of faction that will turn the other cheek. And despite popular belief, we are not pvp oriented idiots.

Here's an example. Legacy of Orilion. Apart from a few accidents, we have not engaged them for more than six months. Crazy, right? Well its not, because we treat them how we want to be treated. That faction was fresh, it was promising and still is promising. We opted not to drag them in conflict, but rather leave them to do what they wanted to do. The RP was there and it was justified.

And last but not least, I realize some of you will hate Core and honestly, I dont blame you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. My job however, as a faction leader of Core is to keep it alive and keep it fun. I dont aim to ruin your day or destroy your faction. The sad truth is, without us, the omicrons will be a lot duller. The same can be said for the order, or the zoners, or the nomads. We are all part of a grand puzzle called discovery and the sooner we learn how to have fun together, the better. You can continue bickering about pixel power or digital ingame assets, but in the end, they wont mean jack if you arent having fun. After all, this is what this game, mod and community is all about - having fun.
visibility
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5