Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why do you think Core| is a bad faction ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(04-17-2019, 10:25 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really think the Core is a bad faction in any way but I'm at a loss as to how to reconcile the Core's very existence with the idea of the edgeworlds as a wild west beyond "add more content so we can eat it" which, like, isn't really a tenable design goal at all.

I think that's a very two-dimensional way of looking at things. Yes, Core, in essence, is an anti-thesis to unexplored frontier space, but at the same time you have a totalitarian startup who's IC-funded kickstarter goals are to utterly reap the Edge Worlds of resources, plunder the locals, and hyper-charge themselves with alien weaponry with no ethical or moral regard for whatever gets in their way. What on earth isn't wild, or at least not absolutely abnormal, about that in comparison to 'civilised' space? All in all, more content is a good thing, and I think Core can pledge that until Delta is finished up there will be no plans to start intentionally expanding to new places.

(04-17-2019, 03:16 PM)Spectre Wrote: [ -> ]The way the Core| has been going lately is a good improvement to me. There's more genuine (at least to me) desire to make the RP work, and more legitimacy in the concept beyond being 'evil hur dur bad guys who nuke freeports for cigarettes'. I've always liked the idea of the Core, but the execution was always a bit lack luster. Nowadays, it's working, so keep it up.

Honestly, Nodtviet was the epitome of that statement and why I ditched the character. And yet, after the post I made the other day (triggered by discord chat unironically saying he was one of the greatest characters disco has ever had), I've had a surprisingly large amount of people express glee that he's making a 'return'. I don't fault them for liking the character themselves, but I still just don't understand why.

To address one of points, Core honestly hasn't done muchexpanding. If I absolutely had my way, we would have done the logical thing which was trying to recap Dabadoru ages ago. Core's focus lies or should lie, in fortifying and reinforcing Delta above all else. Expansion can come once the civilian hub is secured.

I'm still really confused why the Dev team pushed Core in the direction of the Sigmas. We never actually asked for it. I think it was purely for activity reasons as in my prime Core, and the Omicrons as a result, were insanely active and they wanted to channel that energy into the Sigmas. But I got banned shortly after the ZoI additions and that version of Lythrilux basically died along with my motivation for the mod (and I got older). But the thing is, there's just not really any real purpose or interest in them being there. I tried to make something out of it, but it felt very artificial in the end. At the same time, it was needlessly difficult in convincing the Staff to facilitate our gameplay in the Omegas (Admins denying Core restart and also trying to remove Omegas from Core ZoI, Core being barred from the Omega dev chat for year(s)).

Eventually, when it seemed like the story team seemed to care again and after I had to fight quite hard, we finally had access to that chat. I also got Dagger to be added in with the introduction of Omega-55 to make up for a lack of Omega bases that had been deleted and forgotten in redesigns (prior to this, Core had over a decade of strong Omega presence and roleplay with local factions). So you can imagine how painful it must have been when I found out half a year later that Dagger was set to get blown up in the story, without roleplay or event, and without us being able to do anything about it. Once again, I had to argue - primarily to have an event at least for the sake of activity - those plans were eventually scrapped though, and Dagger getting damaged by some cheese edgy Wild attack and one of our historic Battleships being crewed by noobs for some reason who almost got themselves killed became the narrative instead.

There's also the difficulty we had in getting the Nauru docking ring sorted. Hessians, for example, achieved a docking ring for Tangier in 6 months including the roleplay to justify it. Meanwhile, Core's 10-year roleplay for Nauru and attempts to get a docking ring was a struggle: the Staff back then were useless at getting themselves together and processing a very simple request for a docking ring part event organised with Ageira~ (people saying and approving one thing, and then acting like they had no idea). Defeated and exhausted from the high levels of incompetence or lack of care (then again, I have quite an extensive collection of logs detailing some of the reasons why this took so long), we just settled to have the ring added in like a forced story development - yet even then, for no reason I can fathom, the ring was left in a 'disabled' state (literally why) for months until Xalrok took control of things. I had also heard rumours that Core would be forced to lose a base so that we could get the ring.

Oh, small blast to the past, there was also a plot by vocal minority in the Dev team and Admin team about 5 years ago to bleed Core assets to Corsairs, Zoners and Order and nerf Makos to 75% on the Core ID as a 'punishment' for the FP11 attack. actually lectured those guys pretty hard about it and stopped it from gaining traction.

More recently the 'story' has stated Core has expanded into Omicron Xi. This is also not something we were made fully aware or clear of. Although more so than the Sigmas it makes sense, in regards to my opening stated on Dabadoru it's not something we would have done before tackling that first. It hasn't helped mitigate complaints of over expansion/extension, but hey at least we're not entirely responsible for it I suppose.

The Omega-3 stuff was finally a real chance for us to do something fresh, where it appeared like the roleplay was organic and that it would matter. Rip rop to that I guess. But I'd like to do more Omega things from a gameplay POV.

This isn't really an out of character post by myself to gain pity or sympathy for Core's poor hardships, but I do find it bizarre that there are people who think Core is some sort of constantly expanding juggernaught supported by a force that could rival 'Devtonia'. The truth is the opposite really. At the least, I'd be thrilled to get some of that Devtonia magic if we're somehow supposed to be benefitting from it as well. No faction is perfect, and we do listen to constructive input as to how the faction can be improved, and I'd be lying if I said some of the posts in this thread haven't given my ideas Big Grin . But I think the sad thing is that Core| has worked far harder than a lot of factions in justifying/explaining itself, yet it gets attacked for it whilst other factions get a free pass.

All in all though, I'm quite pleased with Core. We took one of the most dead factions in Discovery, in the deadest region in the mod, and turned both (not singlehandedly, mind, jump off my dick) into the most or one of the most active in the mod. Core has a project has also helped me grow personally, and realise talents that I didn't think I had before. I've had very pleasant experiences with a diverse range of people who have come and gone in and out of the faction over the past 6 years, good teams of people who have supported myself and others in its leadership, and a fierce determination against tha haterz. It's never going to appease everyone, and I stopped bothering trying to reach 100% approval years ago. Some people, especially the critiques, ask "how come you guys never/rarely get positive feedback???" - and it's because people don't feel obligated to post it on the forums or make a crusade out of it. My focus has been activity, roleplay, and fun for myself and others. People who appreciate that, have made sure to make me aware of it (and there's been a lot of people, trust) and I am very grateful for those small boosts of confidence, and reminders that the community has pockets which aren't toxic.
Factions like Core| is what freelancer is all about to me. A player driven faction that rose out of obscurity and carved it's own path on the server by building upon itself with years of Roleplay by dedicated members who love what they do. I have never been a member of Core| and I rarely play in the Omicrons, but when I do decide to head out into the Edge Worlds, I can always expect quality interactions from any Core| tagged ships I run across. This recent shift towards being morally grey instead of comically evil has been a welcome improvement in my eyes.

I think a lot of us (myself included) could benefit from focusing on what people do right instead of focusing on the instances when they slip up.
core is better than devfire legion and any other discovery added faction easy.
(04-17-2019, 03:16 PM)Spectre Wrote: [ -> ]The way the Core| has been going lately is a good improvement to me. There's more genuine (at least to me) desire to make the RP work, and more legitimacy in the concept beyond being 'evil hur dur bad guys who nuke freeports for cigarettes'. I've always liked the idea of the Core, but the execution was always a bit lack luster. Nowadays, it's working, so keep it up.

isn't nowadays core literally just apm because core members are too scared to pvp or something?
(04-18-2019, 01:25 AM)Chubicega Wrote: [ -> ]

isn't nowadays core literally just apm because core members are too scared to pvp or something?

No. Core is more active than APM. You'll see an APM transport hoarding activity hours but these are generally just long shipping and trading contracts needed for RP.

APM is mostly focused on RP and a lot of it can be done through forums. Mining is lacking cause the omicrons ores are underbuffed. Coords scanning is not really needed for a faction like core except for rare cases. A lot of times APM will rather hire a proper shipping company to bring stuff. Exporting nomad remains to other factions requires core to farm them but that's not easy with the factions cap ships.

Being scared of pvp is one thing. Being scared of getting ganked is different. Most people that join the core paramilitary side join for the pvp.
Core is bad because they want OP ships :v
thats why nomads/vagrants/khara/aoi (including the old das wilde, rest in pepsi never forgotten) were and will always be better
i like tentacle
Also, why Core is bad? Well, in the case:
Yesterday, I was on a Aoi VHF (Keep in mind, not even bomber) having a nice chat with two folks at the Freeport. Then out of nowhere a Thresher comes out, and accuses me of having a power cell on me. (Which I did, but he wasn't in scanner range) I said to myself: Well, not going to surrender it. Then he starts chasing my VHF in a cruiser, wasn't even close to stopping. He stopped one time and logged off then back on the same cruiser. I thought at first when he logged off that he gave up or switched to a snub to chase me, well he didn't. He chases me again 1-2 times then gives up and logs off. Then I resume nicely my RP and there goes yesterday.

Now today, I was on my infected donau (Dont ask why, I was just roaming around, and had it in case something big comes against), and decided to take a break in Lost to watch over forums. I decided to go out and then I come across the same thresher. He jumps into Lost, I warn him what he did and that he's about to get killed, then he jumps back to Delta. I jump back to Delta too, trying to CD him, but failing because by some miracle CMs work (For me they never work, devsplz). I chased him all the way to Yaren, where I thought he was going to dock. He didn't. He started to fight me, I dropped a few more lines just for the sake of safety and began the battle, and since the Donau has more base HP than the thresher I won. But that's not what I am trying to say. What I am trying to say is that Core does a lot of unfair fights. Even back in my EOG days, (rest in pepsi this too) when I was out patrolling with the other EOG folks or looking for a battle with Core, we always got ganked, and I do admit a few times EOG was the ganker, but Core| and indies were the gankers 80-85% of the time. That's all I have to say, and also

wilde ftw
(04-18-2019, 09:56 AM)Dark.Star Wrote: [ -> ]Also, why Core is bad? Well, in the case:
Yesterday, I was on a Aoi VHF (Keep in mind, not even bomber) having a nice chat with two folks at the Freeport. Then out of nowhere a Thresher comes out, and accuses me of having a power cell on me. (Which I did, but he wasn't in scanner range) I said to myself: Well, not going to surrender it. Then he starts chasing my VHF in a cruiser, wasn't even close to stopping. He stopped one time and logged off then back on the same cruiser. I thought at first when he logged off that he gave up or switched to a snub to chase me, well he didn't. He chases me again 1-2 times then gives up and logs off. Then I resume nicely my RP and there goes yesterday.

Now today, I was on my infected donau (Dont ask why, I was just roaming around, and had it in case something big comes against), and decided to take a break in Lost to watch over forums. I decided to go out and then I come across the same thresher. He jumps into Lost, I warn him what he did and that he's about to get killed, then he jumps back to Delta. I jump back to Delta too, trying to CD him, but failing because by some miracle CMs work (For me they never work, devsplz). I chased him all the way to Yaren, where I thought he was going to dock. He didn't. He started to fight me, I dropped a few more lines just for the sake of safety and began the battle, and since the Donau has more base HP than the thresher I won. But that's not what I am trying to say. What I am trying to say is that Core does a lot of unfair fights. Even back in my EOG days, (rest in pepsi this too) when I was out patrolling with the other EOG folks or looking for a battle with Core, we always got ganked, and I do admit a few times EOG was the ganker, but Core| and indies were the gankers 80-85% of the time. That's all I have to say, and also

wilde ftw

where exactly is the gank you're referring to? all i'm understanding from what you said is that you pewed a core cruiser 1v1 at yaren and won

i'm fairly certain that the thresher you're talking about is an indie since we don't have that many active players with shared cap access, so can you tell me that this is about core? could it not be any other faction doing the exact same thing this person did?

yes yes bring up EOG again. million claims of ganks that we're backed up by cropped screenshots and saltiness of lost fights. sadly even after the drama the EOG days caused where these so-called ganks were disproved with logs and screens people still remind of them as if they were ever real.

i really dont want to derail this conversation to specific moments where we both disagree with eachother because i was there almost every time and i remember. your opinion has been noted: core are gankers and they are bad because of it
I wish people expressing their thoughts and feedback would not be met so aggressively. At the same time I wish that people being aggressive when hearing opinions or feedback would just be humble and hear it out instead of trying to nitpick how to deny or dodge it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5