Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: saronsen summary of 5.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Let's not take physics into this - gameplay is what should matter - the introduction of drag and full stop on engine kill is in itself extremely unrealistic feature done for gameplay purposes Smile That's in regards to "do some research" comment - this is a game after all
(10-17-2023, 08:56 AM)R.P.Curator Wrote: [ -> ]Lets make this constructive:
- Docking in trade lanes in any system but Gallia is a mess for battleships
>> This can't be fixed easily without access to source code (I remember having this exact conversation 5 years ago).
- The balance of the ships is good for the time being - I fly all ships except LF and HF! I will fly these 2 as well
- If you found dead-end spots in turret setup; post it in Balance as a bug to be reviewed - with ship, turret loadout etc., as much details as possible
- 1-2 Bomburs taking on a BS and keeling it is absurd. Capital ship. However you want to name it, play and have it. Bombers have their place now vs GBs, Cruisers, BC and in large fights vs BS. Else stay docked or fly a BS.
- GBs need a slight nerf in turning, either they are too fast, the people flying them are too good, or the projectile speeds of cruisers and above needs to be improved. 2 GBs can take down 1 Cruiser, and based on GB & Cruiser, 1v1 - see Liberty Siege Cruiser vs Rogue GB.
- Turn rate of objects in space is limited by their mass, if a BS would turn as fast as a VHF or GB, it would break apart- do some research on this.
- The size of the Kinetics and Turn rate is awful indeed for the weapon costs / stats. It will be taken off of your ship in a prolonged fight.
- If the players who have more experience flying BShips have things to add, make it constructive - Balance + Ship + Details.
This patch is the best thing to happen to Discovery since its launch. AAA companies deliver 60$ games with more bugs and critical issues than devs working for fun with a toxic and ungrateful community.

my last message was perceived as too intentionally toxic!! so ill have to put it in nicer terms for you
firstly, conflating realism for good design in a game that is decidedly arcade in playstyle is telling.
secondly, my ship weighing untold tons coming to an almost immediate abrupt stop the second i turn off the engine in a frictionless environment is not realistic. do some research on this.
thirdly, my ship only being able to reach a specified speed instead of accelerating constantly thanks to a frictionless environment is not realistic. do some research on this.
fourthly, fighters pulling 30+Gs from going 200 meters per second one way to 200 meters per second the other way would turn the pilots organs into a pool of jello. do some research on this
your argument about realism falls somewhat flat due to the fact that the rest of the game is not realistic.
1-2 bombers taking on battleships was very difficult pre-patch thanks to their very limited range, but it was not impossible, certainly. but even then people complained about how many bombers you needed to fight battleships. And now its worse than ever.
taking lanes pre-patch was annoying at times, but with the strafing changes, the mass changes (making reversing EXCRUCIATINGLY slow), and the handling changes, its agony. it wasnt perfect before, but at least it wasn't actively painful.

but im glad you enjoy the changes.
Let's be fair, balance needs more time and testing to settle before judging - it is unlikely people are using their ships to their full potential, balance can be easily tweaked. Flying bombers when there were no fighters around does a lot less damage, but it's much easier to do it and harder to die as caps lack reliable burst and deplete power cores faster. And you can nano even when instakilled once Smile

I'm more worried about the classes being fun to play

BCs seem like a clear concept of slow boring movement but cool and good guns - my hope is that battleships at least will become that too, with stuff like adding Nightmare, making big tweaks in core usages, letting you shoot your guns more often - it's a work in progress
... and maybe not messing with the original themes of weapons, so that the Kinetics are actually what they used to be instead of an alternative to a heavy mortar.

And maybe not making turrets turn slower than the ship itself, which has been an issue that already was fixed in the past.
Seeing so much people b*tching about a patch that wasn't even released was both laughable and cringe, but now that a half of it was released, this kind of feedback sounds adequate.

I remember before patch release that someone said something along the lines of "Battlecruisers will be the king class of the server once the patch drops", and I gotta say I don't really agree with that, the only capital class I still enjoy pewing with are destroyers and they bully the sh*t out of battlecruisers, specially because of the power regen issue.
Battlecruisers are as busted as pre patch freighters, unable to even shoot two guns of any class without loosing too much power and that's outside combat, if you're getting shot by something else which is expected, since BCs are supposed to tank damage, not dodge, power efficiency is even worse, and that's with the power module mounted, if that module blows up then you're 100% screwed unless someone's on the field covering you and you can escape somehow.

I'd say snubs and gunboats are the king of the server on this patch, it's been a while since I enjoyed snub pews so kudos for that. (Also thanks for un-f*cking freighters, at least a bit, they're much more usable now.)
I'm going to leave my 2 cents on the patch regarding bombers mostly because that's what I fly the most. Overall I like the rework that's been done. There are more options to choose from when it comes to weapons. People will not fly with only one setup (EMP + SNAC) like in the old days. You can make a setup that fits your playstyle, one that fits the combat that you expect to take part in. Also, bombers have a good chance at defending themselves from snubs, and good dmg output on gunboats and cruisers. What I kinda dislike a bit is the range vs damage against big caps. I'm not saying that 2 bombers should solo an entire fleet but I feel like even in 4+ bombers dealing with big caps feels like a chore (for me personally) and starts to get a bit boring spending 30+ minutes just to kill one battleship or dreadnought. Maybe a new gun aimed strictly at dealing with big capitals?

So kudos for the work gentlemen
I more or less agree with Saronsen, and it's good to say what's wrong because this is allegedly a beta version. If I did drugs, I would probably put my words the same way.
(10-17-2023, 01:44 PM)Thunderer Wrote: [ -> ]If I did drugs, I would probably put my words the same way.
im belligerent not an addict
Remember, this mod is always changing. We're all testing and adapting to the new mechanics.
Just give my old snac back
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7