Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: saronsen summary of 5.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(10-17-2023, 07:27 AM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]TLDR you/the team played ships on war thunder/world of warships for 5 minutes, thought this would translate well to freelancers engine, and ported over the "weight" and "feel" of them without porting over what makes them competent games.

Just as an aside, a number of freelancer mods over the years have taken that model and ported it over to Freelancer just fine. Just because Disco hasn't had the best execution of it doesn't mean it doesn't work - Freelancer's engine is just pure neutonian physics without much magic thrown in at all, it's very capable of emulating something akin to Fractured Space if it was done correctly. Freeworlds was probably the best example of that imo.
(10-17-2023, 05:32 PM)Tenshi Wrote: [ -> ]Their guns actually do damage now meaning that pews involving them don't need to take 40 minutes because both sides are tickling each other; high core drain / low efficiency and high damage >>>> low core drain / high efficiency and low damage
objectively wrong
the only thing making fights seem faster is hull values, being 2x instead of 4x, but power core capacity, and in particular regen, are massively down, and and gun efficiency is also massively down
instead of slap fights with sustained damage, you have slapfights where everyone runs out of core and are also cripples fighting in wheelchairs
you want faster fights? reduce old battleship hull to 2.5x and keep the guns and movement the same, with some minor tweaks or whatever.

more drain + less damage + smaller cores + massively smaller core regen = much less damage
im going to argue battleship fights are faster solely because there is no maneuvering out of large volumes of fire now. in fact i'd argue they'd be even longer if they could maneuver as before.

please do not post if you are going to be this wrong
4.93 numbers
5.0 numbers
i would go through more weapons and battleships but i dont care

(10-17-2023, 07:08 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]Freeworlds was probably the best example of that imo.
and it was a massive failure with zero popularity. excellent example
Give it time Saro, I mean, the current version does show some bias towards snubs and "PVPing in peace from all those pesky cap players", but then again as Megaera noticed the bombers have also been fairly neutered against the caps. So it's now more of a fight-fire-with-fire approach.

In the current meta you need at least a cruiser to support 1-2 bombers against bigger caps, or 4+ bombers against any fleet (RHA can still do this against the whole DTR armada with barely any losses, so obviously it's not that bad).

I would prefer for the bomber anti-shield stuff to hit a bit harder, and carry less ammo, and for the cap anti-snub stuff to be a tad more accurate with maybe a bit more energy use, because now it's visually very pretty but quite ineffective.

Basically more burst, less staying power, so bomber wings should take more advantage of the Docking module restock capabilities. Same goes to the caps-vs-snubs balance.
(10-17-2023, 07:18 PM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2023, 07:08 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]Freeworlds was probably the best example of that imo.
and it was a massive failure with zero popularity. excellent example

Congrats on not seeing the point. If you think their cap ship gameplay was their issue, then discussing anything with you is a waste of time.
(10-17-2023, 07:26 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on not seeing the point. If you think their cap ship gameplay was their issue, then discussing anything with you is a waste of time.
no one flew caps when i played. gunships, fighters, and bombers. they had lots of issues, and their larger ships were so unpopular they were only used for event nonsense
you wanting world of warships on aftermath is partly why it never happened
(10-17-2023, 07:37 PM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]you wanting world of warships on aftermath is partly why it never happened

The cap gameplay was the best part about the mod tbh. You clearly don't know what you're talking about so I'm just going to stop engaging.
(10-17-2023, 07:47 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]The cap gameplay was the best part about the mod tbh.

grim.
1 - Somewhat Agree
2 - Strongly Agree
3 - Strongly Agree
4 - Strongly Agree
5 - Somewhat Disagree - They aren't so bad, certainly more fun that old BCs, for me at least.
6 - Strongly Disagree - It adds different activities. The more, the merrier.
7 - Strongly Agree - I especially like the new LFs.

To sum it up, yes, some stuff has been messed up big time. Bombers, for example. Completely useless VS caps. Especially if you use equal number of bombers vs equal number of caps.
I feel like I'm being repressed as a bomber main.
Furthermore, some story things don't make sense.
Example given Xenos/Outcasts. There might've been a perfectly good reason for it, but it hasn't been advertised enough, almost no info was given and it felt it happened overnight.
But hey, nothing is perfect. I understand change can be scary sometimes. Lots of time and effort went into this and it's not looking so bad. It needs some polishing, sure, but this is honestly the biggest step forward we've had in many, many years. Maybe not the smoothest step, but it's certain something.
As for system deletion, Disco isn't as crowded as it used to be, hence, it doesn't need that much real estate, that's how I see it.
(10-17-2023, 07:49 PM)Implosion Wrote: [ -> ]As for system deletion, Disco isn't as crowded as it used to be, hence, it doesn't need that much real estate, that's how I see it.

lots of flavor in the deleted systems, i wont miss one or two of the omicron systems. deleting systems that are "underused" (Xi was EXTREMELY USED however) to condense activity is pointless, since if no one supposedly goes there anyway, you arent condensing anything. just removing more content. i wager it was more of an economy/less work thing than anything meant for activity
(10-17-2023, 07:57 PM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2023, 07:49 PM)Implosion Wrote: [ -> ]As for system deletion, Disco isn't as crowded as it used to be, hence, it doesn't need that much real estate, that's how I see it.

lots of flavor in the deleted systems, i wont miss one or two of the omicron systems. deleting systems that are "underused" (Xi was EXTREMELY USED however) to condense activity is pointless, since if no one supposedly goes there anyway, you arent condensing anything. just removing more content. i wager it was more of an economy/less work thing than anything meant for activity
Theta's been turned into a pretty awesome battleground as a result, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7