Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery 4.86 Storyline: Tau Conquest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
+1

Besides, tell me who around .82 and .83 was yelling for another house because those vanilla 4 + crackhouse and slaughterhouse were oh-so-old.
Besides what, precisely? and I believe Korrd thought one would be neat...I wonder what I thought about it.

As for Igiss's input of great amounts of work to his own project shielding him from flames, foooey. I could go out on a limb and contrive that the anger of so many could easily be counted as complementary to what Igiss has built here, not the mod, but the community, that cares so deeply that it would engage in these screaming fests over 380 posts long, bashing their heads against something they cannot change. We're here, rather than another forum, another mod, many of us natives to it, some even going so far as considering themselves the loyal opposition.

I venture recklessly into the terms of government, and talk of what it is his right to do, having created and guided this mod, which, as so many have said, amounts to whatever he sees fit, whatever he wants. He sets it up for more than just us here at these forums, and we often fail to see that what we want is often not behind his goals. What we want, any of us, is likely to lead to ruin, just as quickly as what he's built. Again, that he's got as many of us as angry as we are...hats off to him.

I wonder if I shouldn't have found a new mod, a new game entirely, years ago.
' Wrote:We don't need more opportunities for interaction. We have so many, in every place, that failing to notice them is simply pathetic. Additionally, if you mean, specifically, human interaction, adding space only serves to dissipate the network, decreasing its connectivity and thus its value.

I was thinking that when you're alone in Kusari or Bretonia, you have a better chance of finding people to RP with when the server's hovering around 80 because now Gallic players can enter the Taus.
' Wrote:I was thinking that when you're alone in Kusari or Bretonia, you have a better chance of finding people to RP with when the server's hovering around 80 because now Gallic players can enter the Taus.

There's an interesting discussion all its own about player densities to be had here.

Given a hypothetical gameworld I'm calling Vanilla, with 80 possible players and, say, seventy systems, you're forced to have interactions between players: at least twenty players overlap. Add more systems without increasing players, your minimum possible interactions falls, by two interacting people, one basic interaction, per additional system. Increasing the playercount works in the opposite manner, adding one more interaction. Unfortunately, additional players may be exposed to already interacting players, so there's a loss of efficiency in adding playerbase to combat player dispersion. In this model, the best way to encourage player interactions is to squeeze them as tightly together as possible

Thats math, and a reasonably unsophisticated model. It tends to assume people like to spread out, while in fact, they like to clump.

In that they clump, opening Gallia up to the rest of sirius is good, because it will allow the Gallics to -leave- Gallia, and interact with more people. In that sense, 86 is good. However, they need to leave Gallia because Gallia is empty, and in that sense, the addition of Gallia, and the subsequent necessary extra systems of Bretonia, only serve to dissipate the interactions. Still, not a great model, but it holds more water.

So, in that 86 is a repair to one of the main problems of Gallia, its good. In that the repair shouldn't have been necessary, not so good, and as it continues to add systems, its an addition to the problem.

Additionally, looking at it from another perspective, since the Gallics can now come into the Taus (but not much farther) it will tend to draw players away from Kusari, Gallia, and Bretonia, into the Taus, creating another area of high density, at the expense of many other systems.

In the other communities which we're told we have to consider, this problem has to be rampant, when the players online rarely reaches fifty. Entire regions must be empty, steeply curtailing the amount of player freedom: If you want to interact (and that's RP or PVP, more or less the foundation of multiplayer), you have to be where the people are, and if there aren't people everywhere, you can't go anywhere.

TL;DR:
You know the maps on Halo, the massive ass ones with tanks and ghosts, banshees and everything else?
You know how they suck when you haven't paid your live subscription, and can only get three people in them?
Exactly.

Humorous Addendum: Why did I feel it necessary to quote the entirety of the post immediately above mine?
One key problem I see with Gallia being so overpowering. I can easily see them having massive numbers of ships in stock, mass produce them & mothball them in vacuum. However, many of them will be older types having been produced at sometime in the past. This will pose some problems unless they are only partially complete, mainly hulls as everything else would likely be outdated.

Things like drives, computers, life support, shields & weaponry go through advances at times rapidly making them obsolete. Military technology can be bought, stolen & reverse engineered but you only get good at using them by using them in combat. It sounds like Gallia had not really had a competent large-scale opponent for quite some time. Their rebel groups do not really apply. Those would give them quite a bit of experience in small ship actions in the main. You can have good equipment & win tactically but lose strategically if you do not know to use that equipment well enough. A simple example would be the ignorance of the capabilities & usage of our RADAR that could have eliminated the surprise at Pearl Harbor. The proper knowledge & usage could have gotten our aircraft in the air, ships moving & at battlestations as well as having ground forces alerted a hour before the Japanese aircraft actually arrived overhead.

A Navy does not really become competent in large scale fleet actions without actually fighting in them. In history it has been proven that wargames do not really do a good enough job. Look at the problem the US had against the Japanese during the early part of WW2. A Very large percentage of the US fleet were ships dating back to WW1 or just after. The US had a numerical superiority & limited usage of higher technology like RADAR & better SONAR while the Japanese fleet averaged newer ships & some equipment better than ours like the LONGLANCE torpedo & many of their aircraft. Early in the war the US Navy did not make that good of a showing. We thought we were more advanced than the Japanese & we paid dearly for our overconfidence in the early years of the war. You could find similar examples between the British & Germans for the European theater. The Germans had some excellent ships but often fared not that well in fleet actions against the English as the English had more real-world experience in fleet actions.

Well, Technology itself rarly goes obsolete, the real innovations being merely how it is implemented. But, the gallic storyline is full of Holes so big I can slalom an Atrain through it.
' Wrote:Well, Technology itself rarly goes obsolete, the real innovations being merely how it is implemented. But, the gallic storyline is full of Holes so big I can slalom an Atrain through it.

You mean a Barge?
Nah, Barges arent that hard to slalom, do to spining form NPC impacts
I have a proposal:

If the systems for the tau conquest are built, could 85 be updated, via the autoupdate (been done with elesmere), one system at a time, to simulate a gradual conquest of Tau?
Holy BeJesus! I think I just realized something... (and sorry if someone else had mentioned this already, but I don't feel like reading 40 pages, tyvm :P)

1. Read the .86 story again

2. Now consider this as a possibility: a MEGA HOUSE BASH--> Gallia+Kusari+Rheinland vs. Bretonia+Liberty...and maybe + someone else (hispania? (hispania=corsair+outcast?)).

3. Now read the story again more thoroughly and you will see partial evidence of how this might happen.

But in order to save you some 30 mins of reading I've taken the liberty of listing the facts the led me to this idea:

1. Gallia and Kusari join forces...obviously. (for now they have territorial and trade negotiations but forming an alliance, especially with the new shogun sounds quite appropriate)
2. Gallia wants to wtfpwn Bretonia.
3. Kusari also wants to wtfpwn Bretonia

===> Gallia + Kusari vs. Bretonia

4. Gallia places Liberty as second on kill list.
5. Gallia and Rheinland begin negotiations about trade and stuff, which may and, I think, will lead to a major alliance between the two houses.
6. Oh wait, Rheinland wants to wtfpwn Liberty too

===> . Gallia + Rheinland vs. Liberty

7. Carina and the Liberty president would be considered retarded buffoons if they don't see that the only option for survival of their 2 houses is to unite.

8. Now Kusari had nothing against Liberty in the past, but that was the old regime. Seeing as the new shogun is mighty conservative, he might have something against Liberty's import of foreign goods, gaijin ideas, etc., etc.
9. Rheinland has no grudge with Bretonia, but hey, maybe the fuhrer sees the inevitable destruction of the latter and wants a piece of the pie.
10. Furthermore, Gallia might pressure both factions to join its side, which right now isn't difficult as already seen with the case of the IMG.

===> So in the end we have Kusari+Rheinland+Gallia vs. Bretonia + Liberty
Wait, hold on...we need one more house for a 3 vs 3.

11. Ok, first I'm not really sure what Hispania signifies on the updated .86 map. Mine and others' reasoning is that corsair and outcast form a union. And it is already obvious that Outcasts flee when they see the advancing Gallic navy. They run from Orkney, they run from Tau 23, and...whoops, only 2 systems to go before Gallia pays Malta a visit. And seeing the very Reapers of Sirius get ripped to shreds by Gallic glaives is not a pretty picture :( ...

12. Now everyone hates Sair and Outcast, and they hate each other to be fair, but when facing certain impending doom one is ready for unthinkable alliances with whoever has the power to save their arses.

So it would be a whole lot of fun to have this scenario. But considering that story ends right at point 6, this may not be seen until .87 or .88 comes out. But it's a good time waster to ruminate on. Have fun:P

EDIT: If things start to get even remotely close to what I proposed here, expect the BHG to go bananas over the bounty board and negotiate over affiliation :wacko::D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49