Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Bomber "don't you dare!" suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hi, I'm almost new here. See the number of posts I happen to have very low for some reason.

Has anyone thought of scaling bombers at least 2:1? It would be a very nice move from total arcade towards the sim genre. I believe it would also help to pin the bomber's support, along with other tweaks, such as hull strength increase, more punishing guns... It would have quite major impact, yes, and I mean it seriously.
Bomber vs bomber fights will take about 2 seconds.

no thanks.
' Wrote:Bomber vs bomber fights will take about 2 seconds.

no thanks.
That's very common phenomenon, if you look anywhere else.
' Wrote:Bomber vs bomber fights will take about 2 seconds.

no thanks.

That's like complaining how planet vs starflea fights would last about half a second. Given that their weapons were deliberately set to be slow but damaging clearly shows that they weren't meant to combat anything smaller than a gunboat :/
Gunboats were originally bombers.

Fighters - Protecting gunboats, Antifighter
Gunboats - Anticap

Why do you think Gunboats in Vanilla had forward guns?

Also, Liberty didn't have a gunboat in Vanilla, cause their Seige Cruiser served the purpose.
' Wrote:That's like complaining how planet vs starflea fights would last about half a second. Given that their weapons were deliberately set to be slow but damaging clearly shows that they weren't meant to combat anything smaller than a gunboat :/

Not really, when bombers are scalled up you need less good aim to snac someone.

And comming up with the lamest excuse about planets killing fleas isn't really good either.
And it neither fits in anyway to what I said.

Bomber fights currently take a long time when done right.

And since this is 'Freelancer' every type of ship is able to fight any kind of ship.

I say bombers are fine right now.
Then again they are getting anti gunboat rockets in the new mod. IIRC.

Current EMP's do enough damage against gunboats too, when done right.

Freelancer is pretty simple, when you are flying a ship wrong you die quick.
When you do it right you can extend fights for quiet a while.

Light bomber vs heavy bomber is already 2 second fights yes.
But making both twice the size and stuff like that will make them just hilariously easy to kill with any kind of weapons. And when they get an armor + b/b bots we will have ships without instant killing weapons being less and less good at killing bombers. Light fighters for example.
Think of Discovery bombers not as of bombers like the TU-160 but as of bombers like the SU-34.

So scalings are fine as they are.

Edit: Okay, there ain't any bombers like a TU-160 in Discovery, but you get the drift.
Bombers here're fighter bombers.
' Wrote:[tl:trp]
That's a valid argument, but as I see it, the bombers take down fighters too easy and have too low damage output and are too safe for the bomber role.

' Wrote:Think of Discovery bombers not as of bombers like the TU-160 but as of bombers like the SU-34.

So scalings are fine as they are.
So where exactly would you put the 70 torpedoes if Eagle is full without them? And I didn't say that this applies only in reality. It applies in Freespace too. It doesn't apply in SW however, but that is a fantasy-sci-fi movie/games.
' Wrote:
That's a valid argument, but as I see it, the bombers take down fighters too easy and have too low damage output and are too safe for the bomber role.

Fighters can easily outrun the slower bomber guns.
So it really depends on how you fly your fighter,
Flying it wrong ends up getting snac'ed.
' Wrote:
So where exactly would you put the 70 torpedoes if Eagle is full without them? ...

SU-34 is able to mount rocket pods eg which enables it to carry 120 rockets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-8_rocket
Comes even optically or laser guided.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10