Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lane Hacker ID in .86
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
' Wrote:Anyway, that may have been doable in .85, but it sure won't happen now if Guard IDs getting nuked is anything to go by.

In .85 the HF was not an NPC faction, but now it is. Guard IDs have always been redundant and cap spam/anything spam happens in every faction.
' Wrote:In .85 the HF was not an NPC faction, but now it is. Guard IDs have always been redundant and cap spam/anything spam happens in every faction.

Well the idea is that only the official faction would be able to use the guard ID, which wouldn't make it redundant at all.

Anyway, hell I sort of think the Hessians and Council and whomever shouldn't have BSes on their IDs and should have them SRP'd in instead, but that would end up being a terrible idea in practice, due to the admin's apparent hatred of the SRP system.

Regardless, having BSes on those IDs works for those two factions for a very simple reason: They're in Gallia and Rheinland. The HF operates in Liberty, and I don't think anybody really cares for indie Arbiter spam, unlike LD and Carrier spam which is justifiable since Liberty is, you know, a house.
' Wrote:What grinds my gears is that the HF has been incorporated in the Discovery lore, yet its ID is not public.

Ironically, there is no mention of the HF in the 4.86 storyline, yet there is a great deal of information on the CR...

' Wrote:I belive that this change was made becouse too much people fly in Spyglasses last days, end their make CapSpam in NY.

than move IMHO bring back balance.

Only at a very late stage in 4.85, last year, did the Admins open up Lane Hacker Guard IDs to be able to use the Spyglass. At the time they did that, they announced it was only temporary, and would be reverted in 4.86.

Here we are now, and the Admins did what they said.
Meh. I always liked idea of lone Spyglass in hands of official LH faction leadership. Very rarely seen, unique ship. It's lore fits Hackers quite well, even though Spyglass is rather expensive tool to maintain, especially in absense of any shipyards aside from Junkers' Puerto Rico
Kay, let's make some things clear.

Spyglass has been HF's IRP almost as long as it has existed. We were the first people to write any roleplay for it, and all the subsequent infocards have been based off of our story, loosely or closely. I'll get around to writing up an updated Beginning writeup some day, but for now, suffice to say that the first Spyglass was the compliment to the Osiris, built to act as a targeting platform for the cloaking ship. I'm not allowed to tell you how or why due to the fact that there's literally no way for anyone's character to know it, though there is a set in-roleplay reason and story, but the Spyglass and its crew ended up running for the hills with the Navy hot on their heels. Navy claims they betrayed Liberty, Legion claims Liberty tried to murder their entire crew. Long story short, the crew, calling themselves the Hellfire Legion, ended up setting up in an empty system called Vespucci, and, with the help of the Lane Hackers, started to work on building a base (America Base). Eventually, after twelve years, we had the resources to fight back. We had taken apart the original Spyglass and blueprinted it out. We put together Phoenix Shipyards and put out our first few real ships. Before that point, we had relied on slapped-together modifications of other capital ships, most notably the Ravager. We could only scrape together two Spyglasses - the Peacemaker and the Ven'Gyr Mark 2 - for years. It wasn't until after they had both been destroyed and the Ven'Gyr replaced with the modern one that we had the resources to maintain more than a couple. The Legion's had a snowball effect of resources, owing mostly to a number of complex deals (yes, done in-roleplay, we earned several billion off of them, not to mention enough Iridium, hull panels, bio-neural processors, and fuel to last years - several Barges full of each, moved one 5k at a time), the semi-colonization of Guadalajara, our increasing size and thus production (the Legionnaires you see in-game are in-roleplay our entire assault force; the vast majority of the Legion focuses on Vespucci defense and as a massive support network for the assault force). This is not something we pulled out of our rears. This has been our founding story from day one. This is the extremely abbreviated version; PM me if you want the full version, or as full as I can give you. It may take me a while to get back to you, as I'd have to type it all out, which'd take ages, but there you go.

Believe me, we'd love a more powerful ship. The Spyglass/Arbiter frankly sucks, stat-wise. It's a heavy-sized, heavy-turning battleship with barely-heavy armor, medium to light gun mounts, and a medium core. It doesn't have the rear slots to kite heavier battleships, nor the forward firepower to tank them. However, the Spyglass is what we have because it's a Legion ship lore-wise. To use a different ship would be exactly like telling the Order to use some new ship rather than the Osiris. It just wouldn't make sense, any more than it made sense that the Spyglass was considered "Lane Hacker" in game for years. However, since HF didn't have an NPC faction, and thus effectively "didn't exist" in-roleplay according to the Devs, it was still counted as Lane Hacker.

As was mentioned above, we also offered to make a Lane Hacker version, which all the current ones turned into, and make all Legionnaires buy new Arbiters and leave the old Spyglasses be. Xoria refused our offer.

Finally, indie-wise, I would love HF indies, personally, but I don't see it happening any time soon. More importantly, I'd be concerned we'd lose control of our faction's lore, which is basically all a lot of us play for. We're here to write a story, and without storywriting power, there's no point.
Hackers don't really need anything bigger than a gunboat. Stealth and cunning have always been their greatest attributes.
' Wrote:Ironically, there is no mention of the HF in the 4.86 storyline, yet there is a great deal of information on the CR...

The CR, SCRA and RoS are in the same bucket.

' Wrote:Finally, indie-wise, I would love HF indies, personally, but I don't see it happening any time soon. More importantly, I'd be concerned we'd lose control of our faction's lore, which is basically all a lot of us play for. We're here to write a story, and without storywriting power, there's no point.

You can still write the story and have indies at the same time. Indies don't really influence the course of a faction. If you really 'loved' the idea, it would've happened a long time ago. The issue is power, everyone wants a piece of power on this server. The HF have always wanted less restrictions and more freedoms, whether it was equipment or faction relations, yet when it comes to making the ID public, which is a freedom for the players, you get all defensive.
' Wrote:Hackers don't really need anything bigger than a gunboat. Stealth and cunning have always been their greatest attributes.
Hackers don't need anything bigger than a Dagger.
' Wrote:Hackers don't need anything bigger than a Dagger.

The GRP doesn't need anything bigger than a Serval, yet they have a whole Lynx squad.:P
' Wrote:The GRP doesn't need anything bigger than a Serval, yet they have a whole Lynx squad.:P
I think that squadron has one member left in it now, and they don't use it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4