Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lawful bases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Basically, this thread was prompted by the Mollys attempted destruction of a base in Dublin.
Specifically, if it takes the LN and all their LNS that long to destroy a lvl 1 base, and it takes the combined power of a BAF and a RH capfleet to bring down Puerto Del Infierno, how in the bloody hell are any unlawful factions aside from the RH and the Sairs/casts supposed to bring down a base?
A single battleship can put out the pure damage potential of something like 2.8-3.5 cruisers, depending on the bs in question.
That comes to fielding fifteen scyllas to match the dps potential of five Dunkirks.
That is, we would need to field a fourth of the entirescylla population (rogue and molly alike) to match the output of five baffers in battleships.
And what about the Junkers? What happens if somebody builds a base right next to the Puerto Rico jh?
They don;'t even have cruisers, which means calling in the LN.
Or the GMG or the Gaians?
I don't know if the Mollys have the kind of manpower or playerbase needed period to drop even a lvl 1 base, much less a lvl 2 or 3 or 4.
This is a valid question actually. Since base destruction seems to warrant capital ship attacks, and not all the groups are capable of doing that. Not sure... maybe SNAC or Nova damage to a base can be upped some what to allow factions without caps to remove a base?

I know someone is going to just say, well don't let it be built. Well if there is already one that will not work.

You could cut it off, make sure the shield is always up and no transports can dock, but that will take forever for a base to die on it's own.

Frankly... no idea really.
It's not even a balance issue either.
You can't really decrease the amount of HP or regen a base is capable of for the cruiser or below factions without making it ridiculously easy for the battleship capable factions.
Maybe introduce a new weapon for fighters? Some kind of sabotage thing that is mounted on a torpedo slot... something either with a damage multiplier for bases or just something high damage but the range is so short it cannot be used in combat.

Think like a cutting beam, range would be like 10 meters and it would basically burn a hole through the base. You would need a group of fighters surrounding a base, kind of latched on like ticks or leeches, slowly killing the base. Of course they need to stay perfectly still and stupidly close to the base for this to work.
I've proposed a superheavy bomber torpedo - manufactured at playerbases, unguided, very slow, and large enough for fighters to actually shoot down, but about 5 times as powerful as the classic nova. Should give bombers the ability of dealing massive damage... main issue is that many players do not realise, it takes days, if not weeks, to build up a base. It should take equally long to take one out. A war of attrition. Shoot the base a while, fall back. Rinse. Repeat. Eventually someone will get lax in resupply, and that's when you finish it off with the heavier strike.

Not in favor of Kikatsu's idea since you don't give people a chance to respond to such an attack. 5 fighters taking out a supplied base should be impossible. 5 bombers wasting a base which is low on, or out of supplies, is not implausible.
Well the idea of a super heavy torpedo is very interesting, I would like to see that implemented really.

As for my idea, it is just something to give factions that lack access to the resources to build bases, and the resources to build capital ships something they can use. Granted they can buy the ultra-nova torpedo or whatever it will be called in the future.... but it was an idea.

A small flight of fighters with the cutting beam won't take down a base. It would be more like you need 20 fighters and 35-40 hours of constant siege time to do so.
The only way for a small group to do it is to run out the shield fuel. The devs should add the ability to scan the base "cargo" to see what is on hand. This would let the small groups time their attacks better, and would make regular supply runs more important.

One option is join with your allies. Mollies have their new Gallic boyfriends, call them up. Can also get the Rogues in to help as long as they dont break their ZOI restrictions by trying to pirate the locatls. Same is true for Outcasts and Hessians.

Option two is deal with it. Sometimes it sucks to be the unlawful that has nobody outside his network of superfriends. This is one of those times.

Also worth noting, this doesnt just affect unlawfuls. Kusari lawfuls are probably same or less than the number of blood dragons and their allies, and the BD have battleships. That base of theirs will probably be around for a while.
It's really annoying that 5-7 hours of work to deprive a station of shield fuel can be undone in 20 minutes.
Less than twenty minutes for a base in dublin.
Mox is just right next door, you could do two-three runs in a 5k in twenty minutes.
enough fuel for a day or more :|
' Wrote:I've proposed a superheavy bomber torpedo - manufactured at playerbases, unguided, very slow, and large enough for fighters to actually shoot down, but about 5 times as powerful as the classic nova. Should give bombers the ability of dealing massive damage... main issue is that many players do not realise, it takes days, if not weeks, to build up a base. It should take equally long to take one out. A war of attrition. Shoot the base a while, fall back. Rinse. Repeat. Eventually someone will get lax in resupply, and that's when you finish it off with the heavier strike.

Not in favor of Kikatsu's idea since you don't give people a chance to respond to such an attack. 5 fighters taking out a supplied base should be impossible. 5 bombers wasting a base which is low on, or out of supplies, is not implausible.

I like the super torp idea. As long as you make it like 1 damage to shields. Or fools will try to use it to suicide BS's. 1 bomber runs in hits shield, poof shield down, second then does same, and BS gone. Poof! 2 shot dead.
And yes i know a BS can move, hence why i say suicide run, as at 5M away you will not be dodging much.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9