Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Arma II: DayZ mod, Zambies!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So, this game developer for Bohemia thought 'You know..I think I know what gamers REALLY want." And looks like he made just that!

Basically, DayZ is just a mod for Arma II:CO (have to have ArmaII and Op arrowhead) but it puts you in this 225km/225km square zombie apocolypse sandbox (huge) where your measure of success is how long you can survive. All the gear you collect, zombie kills, player kills, vehicles, helicopters whatever you control/gather is reset when you die. So literally, you have only 1 life.

You get shot in the leg? sucks, you can't run. Shot in the arm? don't plan on using it! Outta bandages? you'll bleed out, well you'll fall unconscious once or twice..but you'll bleed out soon enough. No food? water? you'll starve and die. etc. etc.

Nighttime? unless the moons out or you have night vision no amount of gamma or brightness correction will let you see your hand in front of your face (well pretty much)

Oh and the best part! Don't expect your fellow survivor buddies to help you out. Since once you die you die and have to start all over people aren't exactly 'friendly'. A majority of people once they have a little bit of life and gear just shoot on sight.

Anyways, the most realistic zombie game i've found BY FAR, and it's caused Arma II sales to go up 500% in the last week on steam, I think at some point it was the #3 purchased game in all of steam over this last week.

Plays and feels a LOT like the stalker games, mostly cause of the Arma II engine but also the environment.

I think the biggest challenge I've faced so far on a consistent basis is figuring out where I am, theres a huge online map that you can reference landmarks and whatnot but its still really tough. There's maps and GPS in-game, but you'll have to find them! Its very easy to get lost in the wilderness, just like IRL

Check it out! http://dayzmod.com/

Oh, and if you're one of these recent crop of gamers that expect loot and mobs to fall at their feet with no effort or skill. I wouldn't bother. You'll get fustrated too quickly. But I don't think there are many of those types of gamers here:)
I enjoy this mod a lot. Mostly due to the opportunities to hunt other players.
There's something worryingly satisfying about stalking someone for almost 10 minutes, watching them collect loot and fight zombies. Then to decide that this moment, when they are looking out from a mountain lookout, is the best time to creep up behind them and shoot them in the head.
I play it. And I LOVE it.
me and about 5 of my friends play this mod. We love it, although i was recently the victim of a bug where i lost my nice 20 slot backpack and all the stuff in it. D: But hey, its a great mod when its not screwing you over.... although thats all the time:P
' Wrote:me and about 5 of my friends play this mod. We love it, although i was recently the victim of a bug where i lost my nice 20 slot backpack and all the stuff in it. D: But hey, its a great mod when its not screwing you over.... although thats all the time:P
24 Slot backpack, full of ammo and general supplies, + an M4A3 CCO. :cool:
' Wrote:24 Slot backpack, full of ammo and general supplies, + an M4A3 CCO. :cool:

Want to murder for loots, location plz?:)

although something tells me a little makarov just won't hold up to an m4a3...hehehehe
' Wrote:Want to murder for loots, location plz?:)

although something tells me a little makarov just won't hold up to an m4a3...hehehehe
I plan on dying in a really obscure location no players can reach to loot my gear, just to have the challenge of starting from scratch again.
So.. Is this something where you can play with a crew? If so, we need a Disco one. I just don't wana start playing this and then die everytime q.q
If you can't accept to die, you may as well not play it at all. You will die, a lot.

I hear talk that the Zombie Survival aspect has been ruined by murderous players Sniper Camping and trying their hardest to turn it into Zombies Deathmatch.

How do you plead, Disco?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5