Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Stories from Cryer|Aberetic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The crew are reduced to the legal minimum of four since the rest failed to return at their last rest stop on Curacao .
Tina has the bridge to herself, she is idly tossing and catching a tube of synth paste as she answers a vid-call.
'€œHey Tina, like, a few of us came back to the pad and like, there was no ship man. Like, where are you?...man'€
Rex is an attractive, athletic idiot, he was transferred to Aberetic from security after tasing a child.
'€œRex, that was a week ago. It's next week now. Me, Bouncer, Em and Jose have all been working whilst you've been 'avin it large' in paradise, you Bowel-extract.'€
'€œWhoa, Oh man, I like: had no idea. I'm sorry Tina.'€
Another person barges into shot on the viewscreen '€œHey Tina, man you rock Tina. So uhm like, can you like: come pick us up and like, not tell Aych Ar ?'€
Mandy is a doctor, her addiction to benzodiazepines earned her a term in long range logistics. Her pupils are dilated, her mouth works soundlessly as she stares transfixed.
Tina thinks she looks like a fish.
'€œYou look like a Fish.'€
'€œOh my god, maybe I am, maybe we are all fish in the river of life, that's deep tina'€
'€œWhatever Mandy: gimme a reason to come get you and keep my mouth shut.'€
'€œUh well'€ she leans closer to the Camera '€œYou know Tina, I could like '€“ do a ~favour~ for you.'€
It is rumoured that Mandy will sleep with anyone to get what she wants.
'€œMandy please: don't embarrass yourself; You're not half as pretty or skilled as a spa & cruise Masseuse.'€
'€œshiz!'€ mandy exclaimed before reattempting dialogue '€œum well what if I like took your shifts for like '€“ a week?'€
'€œThree'€
'€œTwo and I'll pay for your next 'massage''€
'€œseventeen days and your fez'€
Mandy begins sobbing '€œa-alright deeeal!'€ she takes off her fez, pouts for a moment, then passes the fez to Rex as she wanders out of shot.
'€œSo '€“ uhm like '€“ when will you get here Tina?'€
'€œWe'll be at terminal eighty five in twelve hours. Try to sober up jackass.'€ Tina cuts the feed and leans back in her chair. '€œHell: what the schmuck am I gonna do for seventeen days?'€ she wonders aloud, before downloading the latest series of Cold City.
It is hour forty-six of Johnnys shift on the comm, he is sitting in the lotus position as his hands dart about with chopsticks catching imaginary flies. Johnny has been maintained on handfuls of multi-coloured pills that he has forgotten the names of and bisque synth paste.
Terry sits on a barrel of synth paste, he looks in a mirror admiring his face, he kisses the reflection. Terry is a narcissist.
A police officer performs a routine stop during Johnnys shift '€œ...I say again '€“ Cryer green three '€“ what is your destination?'€
Johnnys pseudo-spiritual chant is interrupted '€œwe are leaves on the wind, our fate is not ours, but the whim of the winds'€
'€œWhat? This is not a philosophy class genius! I am an officer of the law asking where you are heading.'€
'€œthe law is mans imposition on the natural order, the only law is natures'€
'€œThat's it Space cadet '€“ you are defying an officer, Give me an answer or be fired upon'€
'€œAh fire, the starving element, giver of life...'€
It is not long before aberetic comes under fire and alarms blare ship-wide. Terry quickly kisses his reflection and rushes to the deck. '€œWhat the hell is going on out there!?'€
The readouts tell Terry a terrible story '€“ he sees johnny oblivious to the chaos of the screens around him.
'€œHey cops! Stop shooting! Hey!'€
'€œCryer green three, are you now prepared to co-operate?'€
'€œWhat? Oh sure sure, what am I co-operating with again?'€ Terry poses, making sure his face is close to the comm camera.
'€œWhat is your destination?'€
'€œHarris '€“ so '€“ you shot at us for that!? I guess 'reasonable force' and 'serve the public trust' went out with rubber shoes down here!'€
'€œnot declaring your flight plan is a traffic offence.'€
'€œyou know what else is an offence '€“ endangering a medical transport and civilian lives. I could have your badge!'€ terry moves to make sure only his lips take up the entire camera shot.
'€œNow see here, your comm officer...'€
'€œHey listen '€“ my comm officer is a useless sack of hallucinations right now, we aren't carrying anything harmful, nor are we a funking hazard!'€
'€œSir, please calm down.'€
'€œyeah sure i'll calm down once you reverse-fire on this fragile heap we're stuck in '€“ what's your designation '€“ epsilon four '€“ alright epsilon four, constable litton, you will hear from legal.'€ terry poses once more for the camera, acting out a series of different facial expressions.
'€œHey now '€“ hang on a minute '€“ there's no need to get litigious.'€
"right, so are we under arrest or something?"
'€œno you are free to go '€“ make sure you are forthcoming with the police from now on.'€
'€œRight, I'll have my moms life story ready for you next time"
Betty is patrolling one of the cargo bays, taking inventory for a fifth time. Each time she takes count the number is off by one. She doesn't realise that Terry has been taking and replacing barrels to infuriate Betty and amuse himself.
Muriel is wandering the ship wearing a holotainment band and a flight suit, she is playing a detective adventure based on Cold City and has been for the last three days. It is evident that she has been urinating in the suit, the smell she exudes is nauseating.
Terry goes to the kitchen, every cupboard he opens is filled with synth paste 'bisque'. He notices that Betty is finishing a tub of lime synth. '€œWhere did you get that?!'€
'€œLerst one...'€ Betty says as she slowly consumes the last spoonful. '€œOh! Did you want some?'€
'€œwell yeah, it'd be nice to not smell like fish for once.'€
'€œBeen going down on Mandy huh?'€
Terrys eyes go wide at the lewd statement '€œWhat?! Mandy?! Are you deficient? Wait '€“ are you saying mandy is easy?'€
'€œOh my gawd '€“ are you ~really~ only getting that now? Jesus Terry, you must be the only one awn the ship who hasn't let her crawl all over them.'€
Terry seems genuinely confused and angry '€œbut... I'm good looking! Why hasn't she slept with me yet?'€
'€œTerry '€“ babe '€“ Oi ~really~ wouldn't worry about it: you're not missing anything; she's very selfish.'€
Betty can see Terrys face change as he works through it '€œwait...are you saying you slept with her too!?'€
Dismissively Betty replies as she scrapes the last of the tub '€œyah Terry, ~everyone~ has had a pop on the Mandinator.'€ she drops the spoon into the empty tub '€œand like, don't spread this around, but i think I might actually have a little respect for you now. Be-caws you didn't.'€
'€œwow '€“ uhm '€“ thanks..I think. "
Betty allows herself a short chuckle at her diversion, confident that her lime synth stash is safe for another day.
In a light hearted manner, Rex and Betty plan to capture and throw Muriel into a shower.
She doesn't notice them leap out from the collection of plants they have scavenged from all over the ship. She remains oblivious all the way to the shower cubicle, engrossed in a virtual world as she is.
It is only when the water shorts out her holounit that she reacts, Rex is closest to her '€“ she snaps one of his arms, he falls and loses two teeth to the tile floors.
Betty runs from her as Muriel steps purposefully to collect her backup holo-band and resume her Crime drama adventure. Rex is taken to the med bay howling, Tina tells him to stop being a Cryer baby.
Mandy emerges from Johnnys quarters, skipping whimsically and humming. Her hair is wet from a recent shower. She carries a clear bag of pink coloured pills and two passes for Baden-Baden, which she tucks into her bra. She is wearing standard white and red overalls, open down to her navel.
Tina is sitting in the diner, distractedly eating soup whilst she regards a data-pad. Mandy sits opposite her and smiles. '€œHey Tina, how you doin' ?'€
'€œFine 'til you showed up. This better be important mandy.'€ she freezes the display and lays the pad aside, turning to look at Mandy.
'€œWell, I know I've been a bit witchy lately, so I thought we could do something together: like a team-buiding thing you know.'€
'€œI'm not going to 'Club-lust' with you again Mandy: I got a yeast infection last time.'€
Mandy suppresses a laugh '€œOh no nothing like that...'€ She draws two tickets from her cleavage.
'€œHow does: a two week horse riding holiday on Baden-Baden sound?'€
'€œO wow! Are you kidding? Where did you get those?'€ Tina is saving for her own stables.
'€œOh you know, I have my sources'€ Mandy arches her eyebrows suggestively '€œSo, how about it?'€
'€œAlright yeah: but this doesn't get you off your punishment; we'll go afterwards.'€
Mandy pouts '€œaw, can't we go now? Think of the horsies. Besides, what are you gonna do with your free days?'€
'€œI have....plans. Anyway, you'll appreciate it more after a couple of weeks cooped up on here.'€ tina suggests.
Johnny is in pod three where aquatic wildlife are being held in large clear containers.
Johnnys hand is pressed against the glass, he is watching a colosso-shark swim laps of its tank.
'€œ...and sometimes I think maybe we're the same: you and I. Two beautiful predators taken from their destiny.'€
Emma (or Em) walks in on Johnnys strange trans-species dialogue.
'€œUh hey johnny '€“ everything...alright?'€
'€œOh Hey Em. Yeah I was just....How long have you been there?'€
'€œOh I just totally got here, I gotta check the tank readouts. What are you doing here?'€
Johnny suspects Emma is lying, and resolves that she might prove an obstacle. '€œI just wanted to see what we'd brought on. I'm from Zoology you know.'€
'€œO yeah'€ Em slaps her own head '€œI keep forgetting '€“ you have that shark hat and those elephant slippers.'€
'€œyep: they don't call me doctor doolittle for nothing'€
'€œI thought that was like -because- you did nothing'€
'€œHey'€ johnny protested '€œI took that last last quadruple shift didn't I?'€
'€œYeah, and that went ~really well~'€ Emma is being sarcastic.
The moment is interrupted as the alarms blare once-more and hazard lights flash.
'€œOh hell!'€ Emma exclaims as she dashes for the bridge.
Johnny watches her leave, turns back to the tank and whispers '€œYou will be free. I promise.'€ He runs to follow Emma.
A medical marked freighter swoons its way through the Arran ice cloud toward Gaia. Burning through the atmosphere, the ship drunkenly skirts the canopy, before being swallowed by the foliage in an explosion of leaves and squawks.
[Image: amazon_canopy_gaia1.png]
In some schools of flight they call it a landing – though none aboard the Crichton could say they had experienced that.
A motley crew of nine Cryer employees stagger out into the untamed jungles of gaia. Everyone, save the butler, are wearing pith helmets and olive coloured fatigues, binoculars hang from their necks
Jonathan Goode stands beside his black and white shadow Wilkins. An oversized calibre ballistic rifle weighs upon both shoulders, and of course a cigar is clenched between his teeth as always.
To the rear stands rex – bearing the bulk of the parties gear – coolers and chairs hang from the sinewy hulk like a misused hat-stand. He shambles after the crew as they venture into the humid vibrancy of untamed gaia.
You sure this is legit Johnny ? I'm pretty sure this is like – encroachment or something...
Of ~course~ it's legit – it's for science isn't it?!
Well yeah but...
Look at the butler guy – is he sweating? No, 'coz he knows what i'm about Em: relax
Giant, luridly coloured flowers stand tall over high grasses amidst their less densely wooded path. Flanking it distantly, monstrous trunks tower above the greenery – strewn with vines and creepers, their long shadows in dark contrast to the scorching sunlight.
The group coos and gasps as exotic birds with fluorescent plumage dart above, bulbous, leathery plants snap shut as they pass. Occasional bursts of feathers are seen as some are caught in between their spiny, closing prisons.
The world around the Cryers is alive with sound: chirrups, squawks, hoots and growls resound around the vast forest. In their excitement, none of them see Helena as she lags behind and falls to the ground with a spine in her neck.
Wilkins and Steele had been carving through the knotted greenery for the past two hours. Though the whole party are soaked and breathing heavily, the machete wielders are legitimately so.
Wait ... where's Johnny?” asks Emma.
Johnny disappeared an hour ago – whilst the others had been arguing over who would be first to get a picture with Giant Brachiosaur.
He came with us?” Johnny owes Rex money.
Maybe he went back to the ship...
Nah he's dead – forget about him. Can't we stop for a bit? I'm hungry
Alright lets setup here – Rex – the table if you please?
Within moments Rex drops his packages and assembles an array of unfolding outdoor furniture. Em' lays a tablecloth with a flourish, food is unpacked and picnicking ensues.
It is dusk, The sun has ebbed to a golden dappling upon the shifting forest landscape. Goode is savouring the last of the bacon sandwiches. His chewing stops as his face drops, he signals silently To Em' - seated opposite.
It is too late, Em doesn't see the shadow reveal itself in the lamplight – its armoured hide flash from the undergrowth, talons outstretched.
Em' screams horribly as the talons sink in, she disappears into the jungle as the creature rolls with her in a moving, chaotic, grappling sprawl.
Mandy and Rex cry out in horror, cups and plates tumble in a moment of surprise. The picnic is ruined.
Other sets of reptilian eyes shine yellow in the struggling light. A deafening blast rings out causing everyone to drop with hands to their ears.
What was the charging form of a Raptor explodes into a meaty, twitching stump below a red mist. Everyone in the vicinity is splashed with the gory pieces and lizard blood.
The bushes rustle as the remaining lizards flee into cover at the noise.
Time to make like a tree” Steeles announcement is punctuated by the high pitched noise of his readied Tachyon rifle, the bright blue light of its core stark in the growing darkness. He points with a large Bowie-knife back to their path.
Abandoning their makeshift diner the group hurry off back to the ship.
As often happens in perilous chases, the group lose sense of formation and become a stumbling, straggly line – their flight impaired by roots, fallen debris – and Raptors. Betty can't keep up, she becomes disorientated in the chaos. The others shout her name but the jungle makes it hard to discern sound direction.
The reptiles make themselves known . One giant yellow eye bobs parallel to the cryers path, Rex gives a startled alert. In unison Steele and Goode turn and fire, another deafening boom resounds. Their victim lets out a terrible screech as it dies: its hind-leg and tail, minced into a bloody spray.
Steel does not see the other raptor until it is upon him, forcing him to the ground standing astride the downed combatant. Desperately he thrusts the rifle between the beast and himself. Claws narrowly miss as the creature flails and reaches – its head snapping in a frenzy.
Goode aims but resists fire, knowing his shot might obliterate both the monster and his colleague.
Rex and Mandy are screaming, again. Steele wrestles with the creature, everyone sees the flash of his blade as he raises his hand and suddenly pierces the head of the giant lizard. The Raptor sees only each silvered letter of the word “S-T-E-E-L-E” as the blade slides through its eye and into its brain. In a thrashing collapse the beast falls, blood spurts from its skull.
Clyde speaks as he rises, adjusting his pith helmet “Well, what are you looking at? Lets move!
The Cryers resume their hasty retreat.
Rex keeps stumbling and mumbling something about the dark, he lights up a flare – the startled warnings of the others come too late as the bright red light blooms, bathing everything in a bright, pink glow.
Everyone pauses to look up at what the flare has revealed: Identified by torn pieces of clothing clinging wetly to severed limbs, the remains of a Gaian scouting party hang limply from a skeletal Everwood. Surrounding the base of the tree are the remains of what could easily be ten large, scaly, beclawed reptiles.
In the red light it is hard to discern that blood paints the wood for twenty feet in all directions.
A shared moment of terrified trepidation links the group as the giant head of a Terrorsaurus swings into view – snapping up the twisted torso of a Gaian corpse from the branches. It huge iris visibly contracts in the light as it notices the trembling Rex.
[Image: Jurassic_Trex_sml.png]
With a toss of its head the massive Lizard swallows the body and darts forward with nauseating speed, jaws agape, toward the Cryer meat-head.
It doesn't see John Goode step into its path as another deafening roar booms out – the elephant gun hurls its round upward into the roof if the beasts mouth. Blood spumes out and falls in thick dollops as the creature roars in agony, crashing into the massive trunk in its frustrated rage.
Steele draws its attention as Tachyon fire rips gobbets from the bumpy hide. Goode clears the giant casing and loads another, fist sized round.
Both Rex and Mandy are crying. Rex has soiled himself.
The monster charges at Steele, his fire is marked by the blood spraying backward from its gigantic head. Repeated tearing flashes of white light break the red, but still the beast runs on. Steele hurls himself aside into a roll and rises running. The creature follows, off-balance: adjusting its path clumsily. Goode stands ready as the giant snout lowers for the Terrorsaurs final attack, his cannon raised level with its tiny eye.
Die Damn you!” he mouths as the huge firearm rocks back with incredible recoil, muzzle flash shoots from the barrel in fiery sparks. Less than a heartbeat later the final boom is heard over the echo of the monsters screeching roar. The 'bullet' pulverizes the creatures eye, tearing straight through the inside of its skull – shattering and liquifying the contents, before exiting the other side in an irregular explosion of reptile brain matter and cranium.
A tremor is felt as momentum sends the massive body crashing to the ground.
Goode cheers, discarding his empty gun "And the crowd goes crazzzzyyy! *mimics crowd yelling* "I wonder how you taste..."
Mandy slaps Rex into motion: he takes a picture of Steele and Goode who stand with one foot each on the titanic creature, they nod to one another. It is a classy memento.
After another hour we rejoin our intrepid explorers, staggering back through the jungle, breathing heavily, beset by Raptors. Shots ring out regularly, flares of light mark the parties path through the gauntlet.
As they reach the freighter and the doors slowly open Raptors swarm at the 'landing' site - Goode and Steel seem to decimate the jungle with weapons fire. They buy Mandy her time, the clicks and clunks of initialisation precede the hum of power as illuminated inlays spring to life in series.
Impossibly, emerging from the tattered, weeping forest – walks Wilkins. The straight-backed butler has a body over one shoulder, is covered from head to toe in red ichor, and wields two large, gory blades.
Miss Emma sir” he answers to Goodes incredulous look as he carries the wounded woman across the vehicles threshold.
Moments later, screaming that he is human, Johnny staggers from the foliage. He is uninjured save for a shallow vertical cut - visible past his open, button-less shirt. He hurries aboard the Crichton.
Steele produces a grenade, and looks to Goodes face, the logistics man meets his gaze and nods in confirmation. He spits out the stub of his cigar and pulls the pin with his teeth. Goode lays down a lateral field of fire as Steele hurls the explosive toward the incoming wave of unfriendly predators.
The pair turn in unison as the grenade flies through the air, they dive through the closing freighter doors. The grenade detonates, searing flames shoot out from a perfect sphere of destruction, eager to consume anything in their path.
The door closes as the boom sounds, the craft rocks uneasily as the blast radiates out. The engines wake into burning life, the craft ploughs through snapping branches and greenery, before gaining altitude: leaving behind the dangerous natives and the bodies of their dead friends - victims of a terrible, terrible picnic.
Tina has found Mandy hiding in bay three “I know what you did last Gaia...I mean –on Gaia-
Mandys lip trembles as her eyes become watery.
You didn't even list Helena – where the hell is she Mandy?
I...I thought she came baaaack” Mandy breaks into tears “I'm sorry Tina, I'm soh-ree-ee
Tina crooks one eyebrow as she pages through the screens of a data-pad “Your report on Bettys death says: 'Betty was swallowed by the jungle. I will miss her thighs.' what the hell Mandy?!
Between sobs Mandy manages “Sh...she had ...killer piiins. Now she's deaaad” Mandy's words become elongated wails.
And what happened to the handsome man in the red-shirt?
The raptors got hiiiim
Exactly Mandy: Raptors, Fecking Raptors. You didn't even take an H.Ev suit! If it wasn't for those two security guys: you would all be dead.
I'm too pretty to diiiiie” Mandy pleads.
I'm not going to kill you Mandy, but squaring this ain't gonna be a cake-walk. If I can fix it at all, you owe me ...big.
Sniveling, Mandy wipes her eyes “Th-thanks Tina” Mandy retreats to Ops, where she grieves.
Tina enters her 'office' – a long storage bay with a picture of a horse on the wall.
At the rooms far end a prefab board stretches between two crates: forming a makeshift desk. Atop the desk sits a cheap terminal, and a vase with one flower. The 'desks' front and rear are flanked by mismatched seats, both obviously torn from vehicles.
She sighs as she throws herself heavily onto her chair and begins filing accidental death reports for Betty, Helena and George.
Quote:
[Image: model_pamhoggs_ss13_dedit.png]________[Image: doctorsmile_dec.png]________[Image: pixltdredshirt_smlhand.png]
Date: Day 65, 819
Day 65, 819
Day 65, 819
Name: Elizabeth Silvers
Helena Hairlock
George 'Handsome' Fleet
C.O.D: Decapitation.
Wood.
Cranial perforation.
Details: Death by misadventure.
Fall on non-corporate property.
Stray crossfire.
Payout: Logistics accidental, tier 10
Logistics accidental, tier 10.
Logistics accidental, tier 9.
After seven minutes Tina leaves for the diner, looking to her watch she notes that Wilkins will be cooking about now.
Jonathan Goode is visiting the Aberetic whilst his ship Serenity is being painted. His side-kick butler Wilkins is serving what his employer calls Raptor-bacon. The crew have not eaten so well in over a year and are thoroughly enjoying this rare novelty.
Rex proffers an empty platter whilst grinning joyfully, Wilkins piles his plate with yet more bacon sandwiches. Rex swallows “You sir – are a genius: I Don't think I ever tasted anythin' so good.” he compliments the butler, who nods graciously.
You don't think at all ” Em' laughs and winces with pain. She is wrapped in bandages and mottled bruising covers what little skin is visible.
Tina approaches the table “It's real good of you to loan us your Butler here Jon – he's a real whiz in the kitchen.” The butler nods and places a laden plate before her.
After the 'Wilde' incident Mandy and terry are forced to obtain what they can from C.R.S about alien physiology. Mandy doesn't know it – but from that point on, she has been marked for assassination.
The assassin is a nexus six they call Mister Quiet - he has been tracking Mandy for weeks. Impeded by the Aberetic's unpredictable course and the crews meanderings: his progress has been slower than he is used to.
Quiet knows pretty much everything about Mandy's life: her registered address, the circumstances of her suspension, her favourite retailers and her benzodiazepine habit.
He knew more than he needed to about the job, about her betrayal of the corporation and contact with the aliens. He didn't think he would care, but found himself clenching his teeth whenever he recalled this betrayal. On Harris he had missed her by seconds, which just increased his frustration.
Of course he had to keep everything low-key: something as obvious as shooting the target would draw too much attention. Perhaps that was just as well: of twenty-two successful jobs; he hadn't used a rifle once. He suspected he was out of practice.
[Image: tumblr_lyl634vHk91roubgjo1_500.jpg]
As Mister Quiet trails Rex and Mandy on New London , his repeated opportunities are cursedly thwarted. His patience is almost spent as he makes his last attempt at the Under-chester space-port. Mandy's position is highlighted even amongst bustling crowds which merge and fragment slowly, people shove at one another, bumping into fellow pedestrians.
Quiet becomes one of them, inconsequential in the throng. He manages to get close and staggers clumsily, making their collision look accidental: quickly he stabs the target's thigh with a tiny injector and is pulled back into the current of travelers. Mandy barely feels the injectors contact amongst the kinetic chaos of port traffic. Thirty seconds pass as she and Rex continue to struggle toward the Aberetic, unaware that Mandy is dying.
Mandy swoons and collapses. Rex is shocked, and assumes that she was pushed: he stares angrily around at the faces turned their way.
Hey! Hey! Did you just push her!? Did you do this!?
Mandy mumbles weakly before losing consciousness “...not ...hot...Rex...
After a few moments an onlooker takes concern “She looks sick to me mate, get her to a hospital.
Rex realises Mandy should not be that shade of green “Oh sh*...” he curses as he scoops Mandy up and tosses her over one shoulder, desperately running to the Aberetic.
Quiet reflects on the job as he begins a series of journeys to obscure his trail. His handler had recommended the choice of poison based on its subtle chemical profile: fast acting and invisible to most eyes; it was a good choice for covert-ops. Causing a ventricular bradycardia: coroners usually ruled arrhythmia as C.O.D.
However Quiet was unconvinced of its effectiveness: had the choice been his, he would have chosen an arsenic or cyanide based poison, or perhaps something to indicate another party – like liquid cardamine.
Tina and Goode stand flanking the open bay door smoking. They narrow their eyes and curse as Rex waves for help, forcing them to discard their burning leaves. Tina dashes into the craft shouting “Grab the paddles!
The crew gather in the bay as Goode and Rex drag Mandy through, dump her on a stretcher and wheel her quickly to the awaiting Tina. As the group travel, Johnny takes a reading with a diagnostics tool. “Rate is dropping! What are all these numbers?!
With their primary medically trained employee currently poisoned, the crew are currently bereft of medical expertise.
Relax: I can shock her to life!” Terry boasts, brandishing the defibrillator.
Tina is already on the comm dialling Doctor Fredericks “Go wash your face Terry.”
Terry wipes at his face irritatedly “I got a smudge somewhere?” he runs off to find a mirror.
The line connects, a smart, clear voiced woman appears on the screen. “Helloo doctor Fredericks office, who may I say is calling please?
Hurriedly the pilot states “Tina Gronkowski, it's a medical emergency please hurry!
There is a pause and a flicker. The womans face is replaced by a busy looking doctor “ugh what is it Miss Gronkowski?
Mandy is dying, we took a reading – Johnny read off the thing!
Vent Br - Cee A 411, Dee 9 Cee 7 – 994!
The doctor sighs “Alright, reach into the cart there and grab the big needle labeled -atropine-
Tina fumbles through the floating box and produces a large, fluid filled syringe. “This one?!
Yes. Alright now: stab it into her heart and press the plunger” an image of a chest with an 'X' marked between the solar-plexus appears on-screen, alongside the doctor's face “See?
"Her what? wait!" Rex's protestation comes too late.
Tina cuts what is left of Mandy's clothing out of the way and straddles the prone colleague, bringing her arms down in a two-handed strike. The atropine is delivered to her heart. Tina yanks the spike free of Mandy's exposed chest. The crew hold their collective breath, the silence lasts for heartbeats.
With a loud gasp, Mandy sits bolt upright suddenly. Tina falls off in surprise. The crew cheer and Doctor Fredericks voices his deadpan congratulations.
I've been stabbed! I've been stabbed!” Mandy screams, scrambling around, into the cart and and off of nearby consoles.
Tina announces she can raise the dead, and poses heroically.
The crew try to calm Mandy and explain what just happened, her panic subsides, they wrap her in a blanket, she sits down. Tina idly wonders if Mandy did this on purpose so everyone could see her breasts.
Elsewhere in the ship, Terry drops his Mirror as he eerily senses some nameless opportunity lost. The Mirror shatters on the deck, he walks to his locker to withdraw another, identical vanity mirror.
So - What the hell happened out there?!
I dunno Tina! We were just making our way back when things got all blurry and I passed out.
Somethin' you took?” Rex ventures.
No way...nothing that would screw me up like that
Tina's mouth becomes a line, she turns to the monitor “Doc?
Just break it all down, step-by-step: re-trace your route, maybe that will help. Anyway, let me know how it goes” he waves to the crew “captain” he nods forebodingly to Tina before signing off.
Spherical-hell. Now I have to file an A&E report. They might have us wrap you in safety foam Mandy.” She jokes flatly as she leaves the shocked crew.
Date: Day 67, 819 A.S
Name: Amanda Landy
Nature of accident: Accidental fall on Bretonian property.
Details: Employee suffered arrhythmia.
Action: Atropine administered, employee resurrected.
The paint-job on Serenity is finished, Johnathan Goode has left the Aberetic along with his talented Butler.
... so yeah he showed me his piece, left with the butler: and no-one's seen him since...
Wait, what? Who's no-one seen? Don't tell me it's John?
Tina nods gravely “'fraid so man, guess you're gonna be the only guy left soon...
Tina's sentence is ignored as Rex dashes for the diner, his race ends in a dramatic rummaging search of the Kitchen. In despair he falls to his knees and cries to the ceiling “Noooooooo!”. There is no more bacon.
Back in the corridor Tina and Em' continue discussing the recent disappearance of Serenity and its owner Goode. They ignore Rex's dramatic howl. “...So yeah, I wouldn't usually make a thing of it, but I couldn't even find his tracker, it's kinda like he just ..vanished.
You think he got fried? Or taken?
God I hope not, I guess we should tell H.R or something.
He seemed pretty savvy to me Tina: I wouldn't worry too much; he can take care of himself.
You're probably right, so, you wanna go prank call interspace again?
I think they're onto us, I ended up buying boat insurance last time. Maybe we should try some zoners.
It'll be fine. You grab the bear costume, I'll get the dry-ice.
Em' gestures with her eyes to her plastered arms “Uh, duh: I can't grab dummy.
Right. We'll do the robot-empire thing then, I'll just spray you silver...
Terry and Mandy are on the bridge discussing her possible move into adult entertainment.
...and then I peeled off the last of the latex and bent over like this...” Terry touches his toes whilst looking back at Mandy, he points to his 'Oh' shaped mouth. “...and then they bring the fish on...
Wait what?!
Yeah, they check it for parasites and gut it first: it's not like a stranger-donkey-show...
I dunno Terry this is all soundin' way hinky. I don't think I'm that ...debase
If you don't wanna be a knock-out star like me that's fine Mandy, but it ain't gonna wait for ya'
Alright I get it Terry, let's talk about something else.
I ever tell about that time I excreted half a dead eel?...
What?! What happened to the other half, no wait don't...
That's the funniest bit: it was in the other...
The Aberetic is at Denver. They have just transported over five hundred animals, including some aquatic life. Jonny volunteers to take care of the Logistics 'paperwork' and joins the cargo crew's trip to live-subject-holding.
Terry is making sure everyone see's his 'dope-threads' and changes stance as if being photographed. “What's with Jonny? He gunnin' for a promotion?
I think he's sweet on one of the Crytes” poorer residents like Em' use unflattering slang to refer to their Crichton springs based colleagues.
Sweet, less admin for us then: you wanna go get wasted ?” Terry hangs his jacket over one shoulder and gazes distantly.
Em' is used to his peculiar displays “I kinda promised Tina I would help her with a thing...
Then we'll help Tina, ~then~ go get wasted.” Terry surmises and spins in celebration.
Jonny is in the wet-lab they have taken 'his' shark to. The shark is raised to the surface of the water on an elevator platform, and kept moist by jets of water that run over its exposed body.
The squints are off on lunch, one is left to 'guard' the shark Jonny calls Shamu. Jonny offers to take his shift and gives him a sandwich, the intern eagerly takes the opportunity for a lunch-break leaving Jonny with the shark.
He waits until the security patrol makes its pass and quickly begins the sequences to release the shark's restraints. His friends elsewhere will be manning the gate, once he has freed Shamu she can swim out of the pens and into the open Denver oceans. Jonny smiles as he reflects on the freedom of a creature's life.
He initiates sequences on the machinery around the marine lab, the shark's platform begins descending back into the water. A few hundred feet distant, the pen gate is opening – Shamu is nearly free.
Jonny kneels next to the pool, saying his last goodbyes to the giant beast. He gently lays a hand on its rough skin.
With startling speed the Shark swings its head from the water, jagged rows of sharp teeth pierce and tear through Jonny's arm with all the power that thirty feet of muscle provides, which is a lot.
[Image: deepblues2.png]
Jonny's arm is severed from his body. He doesn't even have time to scream as shock sets in, sparing him a few moments of visceral pain.
As the shark retreats back into the water, blood pumps from the 'white-coat' onto the pristine tile floor of the wet-lab. The cleaners will not be pleased. A passing blond doctor glances into the lab and immediately runs to help, feebly attempting to stop the bleeding.
Jonny manages one last, weak protest of denial as a cold wave of weakness quickly spreads throughout his body.
[Image: Deepbluesea_skarsgard012smlr.png]
Shamu descends into the holding pool and swims with appalling speed through the open pen-gate. The sun's rays cast beautiful beams of light which scatter through the aqueous environment. As Shamu courses through the clear water, and tiny fish dart away, her rows of fearsome teeth almost seem to form a smile.
If Jonny's friends have done their job the baby Colloso-shark will escape the maze of cages, entering the Denver oceans: an environment to which it is foreign.
An alert about Jonny's death comes through, Tina delivers the news:
Alright alright, be serious for a minute. Something totally tragic has happened...
Worse than the...?
Yes Rex: worse than the bacon.” Tina's sighs, interrupting Rex's question. “Our good colleague and friend Doctor Craholm...
Who?
Jonny” Em' answers
Right...Doctor Craholm died earlier today from exsanguination after a shark bite.
Ah..Aha....wait...are you kidding?” Rex laughs awkwardly.
Would my face be like this if I was kidding Rex?
Oh...shiz. That's whack! How'd he get shark bitten?
Medics found him in one of the live-specimen testing wet-labs. They say it looks like he was trying to free one...
What the f-
Em' bites her lip: her suspicions now make sense; she decides it is better to say nothing.
So, yeah – we're all penned in to see a counsellor or something.
You mean a shrink don't you. You know this never goes well Tina...
A Shrink!? Aw no, man. Don't you remember last time?!
Just, keep it together and try to act human Rex: I know it's a push; just think less dog-like.
Hey!...
Yeah I guess you chewing that ear earlier was scientific genius.
I thought it was bacon!
And that's why we love you Rex.
Terry is being subjected to his fourth psychological test today.
Quote:So you work for Cryer right?
Yeah, but that's just until my modelling career takes off.
Heh, you like it at Cryer?
It's alright I guess: is this part of the test?
Nope, just some routine questions Terry. Nothing to worry about. Just try and relax.Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.
-
You are given a gaian seal-calf wallet for your birthday...
Nice, maybe I'll keep that shot of me by the pool in it.
-
Really?
Sheah, that was the cover of playgirl's July issue dig?
-
You've got a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar.
O great, I produced a lepidopterist. What next a friggin ventriloquist ?!
-
You're watching television. Suddenly you realize there's a wasp crawling on your arm.
Is the wasp looking at me?
You can't tell, it's just crawling there.
I guess I try and kill it without getting wasp blood all over me.
-
You're reading a magazine. You come across a full-page nude photo of a man.
Is the man me?
No...
You show it to your wife. She likes it so much she hangs it on your bedroom wall. The man is lying on a bearskin rug.
I'd cut the face out and replace it with a picture of mine. I'm way better looking. Then I might buy a bearskin rug.
-
Are you taking any drugs?
Of course: we work for Cryer you know...Do you not? Maan did you miss the boat. Why do you even work here?!
-
For your anniversary, your spouse gives you a real gaian fish.
Does it match this ensemble?
“Sure why not...”
Sweet, I don't flush it down the toilet then.
-
Your child comes home with a black eye..
I thought he was a butterfly collector: did he get that from a butterfly? Jesus, is my kid a loser or what?!
-
A teacher calls you "stupid" in front of the rest of the class
"She's just mad I don't return her calls."
-
You've been kidnapped: your captors tell you that you better think about what you did to deserve this.
O god, this is about the sheep isn't it? Look, I was probably out of my skull and, I swear she told me she was eighteen.
-
What do you think it's like: to 'be' an alien?
"Probably crap, they all look the same don't they? It must suck not knowing who is the most stylish. I don't think they even have fashion!

You're crying - why is that?
"Oh sorry I was still thinking of a world without fashion."
-
Like my briefcase? department issue: baby-hide. 100% genuine, human, baby-hide.
"It's pretty retro of you to carry any hand-luggage dude. Were they evil babies?"
-
You're on a farm. you get into the pen to feed the pigs.
In their excitement the animals knock you down into the mud.
Using a butcher knife, you slit the throat of the nearest sow.
you're covered in blood as you stumble to your feet.
"Oh man, my outfit is ruined!"
-
You're having dinner at a friends home.
Half way through the appetiser he tells you that you've been eating goose-liver pate.
"Sweet, is he hitting on me?"
--
Your best friend has done something to make you angry...
"Damn right, but y'know: the show must go on..."
-
You return from work to find that your home has been burglarised.
I hope they didn't take or break any Mirrors. And I'd call the cops I guess. Guess I need to move."
-
You're having a very erotic dream...
"Yeah that happens a lot, sometimes they even feature people that aren't me. Dreams are weird."
Since the deaths of Betty, George, Jonny, and Helena the Aberetic crew is reinforced. Tina has gathered the misfits at a boarding bay door to introduce the new crew members. She is leafing through the manifest disinterestedly.
So yeah we're taking four more on here, one of them is even has medical training, which should be handy in case you die again Mandy...” She quips. Mandy looses a brief exclamation of excitement. Tina briefly raises her head from the pad to make eye contact with Terry.“...oh and Terry: one is a woman. Try not to get sued again yeah? Oh also one is a transfer from Samura so be nice.
With that, the door pneumatics hiss as it opens, bright natural light floods through casting four silhouettes. Their images resolve as the four step forward past the bay threshold.
Welcome to the Aberetic, this is pretty much everybody. Everybody: these are our new colleagues; on your far left is Catrina” Tina points to a smiling woman of average height and aesthetics.
Next is Hoji...“ Tina points again, the man waves abashedly, he is wearing the Kusari style of corporate overalls, which differ in that they are an exotic shade of orange.
Then One-four two-bee...” The droid lowers in what might be a bow or a servo failure, it has seen better days.
And this is Benedict.” Tina gestures to a fashionably dressed, well styled, attractive male and leaves without further explanation.
Mandy's eyes light-up as she spies the unattended male.
She flirtatiously saunters close to him and runs a finger along the zip of his tunic. “I ~love~ a man of ...position, ~doctor~.” she breathes her innuendo seductively.
He lies and tells her he is a doctor. Mandy shows him to his new quarters.
Terry thinks that Benedict and his 'exotic mystique' might be a threat to his position in the spotlight.
What's with this guy and his 'exotic-mystique' anyway? Who told him he was the hot-ticket?” he whispers to Emma. Benedict has been aboard for less than one minute, he has done nothing to deserve Terry's disdain.
The mechanised crew member whirs its way over to Terry, Em' and Rex.
The droid is about five feet tall and weighs approximately four hundred pounds.
£@(!*ing nice to meet you
There is an uncomfortable pause before Rex begins laughing hysterically.
Uh...nice to meet you too, I guess...” Em' manages, her plaster-cast encased form totters slightly, in what could be, a wave.
The robot stomps across to the appliances and begins interfacing with a discarded gas-compressor. Over the metallic thuds the others continue to converse.
[Image: 142b_baxterrobotics.png]
Quote:Just try and relax. Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.
What's your name?
"Amanda Landy, but you can call me Mandy. What's yours?"
McCoy
-
Where do you live?
"Six-four-one Bradbury , ~Doctor~"
-
Nice neighbourhood?
"Yeah, when I actually get leave. Sometimes I get real lonely out there."
-
What do you do for a living?
"Right now I'm a shipper: I should be a doctor, but I got suspended."
-
Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind about your mother.
Attractive. Pretty. Shapely. Generous.
-
You are given a gaian seal-calf wallet for your birthday...
"Oh how sweet, I like gifts and I thank my friends very-hard."
-
You're watching a net-feed. Suddenly you realize there's a wasp crawling on your arm.
"O-god it's not a gaian one is it? I flee the room and let the feed deal with it."
-
You're reading a magazine. You come across a full-page nude photo of a woman.
"Is she famous? Does that turn you on? You like chicks in porn?"
It's some kind of lifestyle magazine: not pornography.
You show it to your husband. He likes it so much he hangs it on your bedroom wall. The woman is lying on a polar-bear rug.
"I'd slap him and divorce him. I obviously made a mistake marrying him."
-
Are you taking any drugs?
Maybe...Just a bit though, I've got it under control now.
-
For your anniversary, your spouse gives you a real gaian fish.
"I better make sure the cops don't find out."
-
Your child comes home with a black eye..
"Aw, I'd apply a cold compress and comfort them. After the swelling reduced I'd apply ointment, probably dicell or dermox. See how responsible I am?"
-
You suddenly feel the urge to commit suicide..
"Me? n-uh. Why would I Do that?"
You tell me.
"Maybe if it was only a choice of that or being infested..."
-
A teacher calls you "stupid" in front of the rest of the class
"Then they must be the stupid one, I was straight A's!"
-
What do you think it's like to 'be' an outcast ?
"I think it's like being on p.c.p, cocaine, steroids and life-cry simultaneously, all the time. I'm surprised they don't all kill each other."

You're having dinner at a friends home. Half-way through the appetiser he tells you that you've been eating Gaian songbird-liver pate.
"That sounds expensive. I'd smile and comment what a treat it was."
-
You're crying - why is that?
"Someone probably died. Jonny just died you know."
-
What's the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?
"Probably losing my license. Although, this one time, in band-camp..."
-
Like my briefcase? department issue: baby-hide. 100% genuine, human, baby-hide.
"That's not even funny. What's wrong with you?"
-
You're on a farm. you get into the pen to feed the pigs.
In their excitement the animals knock you down into the mud.
Using a butcher knife, you slit the throat of the nearest sow.
you're covered in blood as you stumble to your feet.
"Ugh! Now you're just trying to sicken me. I took an oath y'know. Look, can you help me he my license back or not doctor?"
*Interview Terminated*
Mandy and Em' are idling near some crates they are meant to be moving.
...So like, what do you think of the new guys? That Benedict is a dish huh?
They seem alright I guess, none of them are as pretty as the handsome man in the red shirt.
Well of course...but did you get a look at that1-4-2B?"
Mand...
I mean: I know he's a droid and everything; but don't his pistons seem...manly?
It's il...
I'm not sure if I could make a woman-robot relationship work, but maybe I should try...
IT's ILLEGAL MANDY!
Jesus Em' – dose yourself already: you're starting to sound like my mom.
Mandy just...You can't...It's a ~droid~ not some eligible bachelor. Look at the gas-compressor for chrissakes!” Em' tries to turn and point dramatically. She manages to straighten a finger.
Oh, right” Mandy sees that the droid's last partner has been compressed to a quarter of its original size. “So: you're saying....lubricant?
For f-* &*£$!!& Mandy!
The majority of the crew are in a Crichton Springs reception lobby on Denver. Terry is 'running interference' as the others try to steal a sofa. He stands before the pretty receptionist as she twirls a piece of chewing gum around her finger.
...of course I mean it! Listen toots there is no shortage of bodies out there, but trust me, yours is totally top shelf, even compared to me, and I'm the shiznit.
His friends crouch forty feet distant around a large red and white sofa. Except Em', whose mobili-chair hovers low to the ground. Every few seconds the crew and the sofa scamper forward a few inches then stop.
Mandy whispers to the others. “It's no good, he won't get us past. We need a more dramatic distraction.
“Want me to fake a fit?” Rex suggests.
Nah too obvious...
What about setting off the sprinklers?” Emma manages from within her plaster casing.
Mandy eyes the only non crouching colleague “Say Em' – you're looking pretty fireproof there. Cat, set Emma's cast on fire.
Alright.” Catrina pads herself down for a light
Wha- no! Wait!” Em'a hisses in alarm.
Within a few seconds Emma and her mobili-chair are travelling at speed through the lobby on fire. She is closely followed by Catrina, who is also screaming and on fire.
Being on fire in in the Denver reception is not usual or fashionable.
Terry and the receptionist turn in surprise.
O jesus...” Terry gasps and slaps his own forehead. The receptionist screams before pressing buttons.
A moment later, what might be security staff run toward the burning pair with extinguishers.
In the confusion Mandy, Rex, Benedict, Muriel, Tina and Hoji manage to incrementally edge their way out with the sofa and into the fresh evening air.
Catrina is lying in a burns ward, she is wrought with pain despite the drugs they administered. She experiences a 'flashback'. She sees the fire blooming back into her face, re-living the sheer, animal terror, running in blind panic. She blames the drugs..
This was all Mandy's fault: if she hadn't suggested setting Emma alight; then Catrina could be safe and sound living it up right now.
True, she had not flinched when asked to burn a fellow colleague, nevertheless, it was totally Mandy's fault. And maybe Terry's, and possibly Muriel. It was definitely someone's fault, and not Catrina's!
She berates herself for listening to that walking-rack, sure she was pretty enough, and she did have a certain Je ne c'est quoi, and those eyes....wait. “O crap” she says aloud. “no. Just no. That is just wrong. She is the bad thing.
It was stupid to go along with their plan to steal the couch, and stupid of her to listen to Mandy. How that prissy harlot managed to manipulate anyone was not much of a mystery.
Cat resolves not be taken in again. She should put a stop to Mandy's mermaid ways. She concludes that she is morally superior to Mandy and that steps will have to be taken, but she is in hospital, giving her plenty of time to bitterly plot. Her revenge would be sweet.
A nurse enters with a grizzled looking security guy, identified by his badge as “Steele”.
She should have expected as much, a fire in reception was bound to draw some negative attention.
Miss Smith? This man would like to ask you some questions if you're feeling up to it.” A ninja-like nurse asked.
Sure, I've only been on fire. Hell bring some booze and we'll have a party.
The nurse cracks a reproaching grin as she retreats.
So, Miss Smith: you wanna tell me how you became a fire-work?
It was all Mandy's fault: she went nuts and set me and Em' on fire. You gotta stop her...” she squinted at his badge “Clyde.
Mandy's fault?...Mandy Landy?"
Yeah that B!@$#!
So you're one of the Aberetic crew right?
Yeah, but I just got transferred. I'm not like her.
Your file says you were with Interspace, where you were accused of fraud.
Hey those allegations were totally whack! This an interrogation then? Who's the victim here!?
Alright, alright. So level with me: who actually started the fire?
Uh...it was Mandy, she had the lighter, then Em' was on fire, then me!” Cat is lying. Clyde can tell.
So it was an accident?
I dunno, maybe she just made it look like that...
Why would Mandy want to hurt you?
Maybe she has a problem with women. Maybe she was threatened by me. I dunno, she definitely seems unstable to me.
Alright, thank you Miss Smith. I'll be back: don't run off anywhere.” The security operative jokes as he leaves.
Oh nice! Make fun of the burned girl why don't ya' !'” Cat snaps back.
It's no good. It won't fit!...
You're just not pushing hard enough, here let me...
For the sake of a cheap context gag, Mandy, Terry, Rex, and a re-purposed medical droid are trying to force a sofa through a doorway.
The sofa was the biggest on the north-west continent of Denver , part of the pacifier range, it can bear over one point six tons comfortably and has three cup-holders. It was being sent to a gallery, before its shipping-entry 'mystically' relocated to the Aberetic's. It is the fourth thing the crew have stolen from Denver.
Though only Terry suspects it, they are all now technically art thieves. Terry plans on adding it to his resume and starts making up a cool 'handle'. The 'pink panther' occurs to him before he catches sight of his reflection in a window.
As Terry poses for himself, One-four Two-B (or ”Toobee” as the crew imaginatively call him) announces:
This portal's dimensions will not admit this so-fa. Stand aside.” what could be his robot-crotch hammers into the doorway edges repeatedly, clanging and banging with alarming volume.
The crew clamber onto the droid in an attempt to stop it, after a few minutes of screaming, the percussive onslaught ceases, everyone looks to the droid as it gestures to the now smashed and widened portal. “G00d Door” it voices gently as it strokes the crumpled aperture. It is disturbing on three levels.
Since everyone else has neglected them, Em' is going over the past weeks communications.
O crap they're onto us...” She sees the message from H.Q and patches to Tina. “Uhhh Tina? You're gonna wanna see this...
O sh!$
Yeah
Alright, tell the others – we're gonna have a pow-wow.
Tina walks along the gangways to find the bulk of the crew playing a ball game in a large bay, from her vantage point she can see that Rex is winning.
Hey! Listen up! Hey! Stop hitting him for a second will you!
The commotion halts as they look up to the balcony. Mandy plays on, scooping up the ball and scoring. She celebrates and cheers her own name. Her dancing falters as she realises everyone is looking at her with ire.
Oh, nice of you to notice us Mandy.” Tina states sarcastically. She goes on “Head-quarters have put a bounty on us. They're looking for the sofa. We gotta move now, so someone help Em' with the con whilst we bluff our way out.
“Wait what?!”
Are they gonna kill us?” Rex looks about as if 'they' might be present.
No way dummy, they wouldn't kill us for that. Would they?” Terry is unsure, his pout conveys as much.
Tina sighs heavily “...No Rex: Listen, just get moving alright and we'll talk about the consequences later. Mandy, you're with me.
The game breaks up as the sweaty crew run to their stations and posts.
Muriel has completed four chapters of the Cold City Holo-adventure detective story, her I.Q has risen by fourteen points.
She already suspects three of her crew-mates to be involved in either black-market smuggling or covering up a murder. She starts narrating her life in third person.
The crew are making, what is meant to be a safe-run, to Houston. Unfortunately they run into some of the Xeno Alliance, Hoji is taken and killed.
As part of a corporate training initiative, Hoji was temporary transferred from Samura. Now he is dead. It is the diplomatic equivalent of electrocuting someone's puppies. The Aberetic crew are in a lot of trouble. They are gathered in the kitchen debating their options.
What about a clone. Can we pull in any favours from Atka?
You know how much those things cost Em'? Billions, more than we can scrape up in a pinch.” Tina dismisses Emma's suggestion dispiritedly.
Maybe we can buy more time? Maybe we can say he got lost for a bit?” Rex actually expresses an idea.
Even if we could, they might have him tested, and those things only live for a few years...” Tina is not convinced.
So? Who would link that to us? They would just figure he died natural like right?” Em' ventures.
Maybe...
Are you all crazy? You wanna do a billion cred cover-up instead of just reporting this?
A sigh escapes em's plaster cast “You don't get it Mandy: he's Kusari, not expendable like us...
Pshh, no way Em'! They so value me.” Terry reassures himself.
Wait, I don't get it. Kusari aren't extendible? Is that why they are so small?
Yah Rex, the xenoes took Hoji 'coz he couldn't get longer.
-Emma-” Tina recriminates Em', her tone shifts from stern to soft. “She means he was valuable Rex: that people will ask questions. It won't be like when Helena died.
It won't be that bad – it's not like -we- killed him...is it?” Mandy wonders.
Tina replies “No but, he was in our care, so I guess we are like his guardians or something.
Alright new plan: we get a kusari body from a morgue and dress it up like Hoji” Em' has a plan.
“Wha...!”
I'm leaving.” Mandy sways her exit.
Thas cold Em' ” Terry shakes his head.
It is not a popular plan.
Mandy, Muriel, and Rex are posing as higher ranked employees by wearing white-coats and stolen badges. They push a corpse-cart before them, acting as if they are taking a body to the morgue in a New Tokyo hospital.
They have been here before.
They reach the morgue where a lone medical examiner eats a sandwich as he slams shut a body-storage drawer.
“Hlarbugh” he mumbles at the trio over a mouthful.
Muriel pokes Mandy ”O hey...” Mandy breathes as she steps forward.
Hello uh...~Quentin~ I'm here for your...physical."
She moves inappropriately close, exaggerating her movements. Quentin can feel her breath on his face.
Muriel grudgingly admits to herself that Mandy is a fair physical-actress.
It's your lucky day ...Quentin – your boss sends his regards.” Mandy leans close to his ear and whispers “is there somewhere we can...go” she almost moans her last word, making her suggestion clear.
Quentin begins choking on his sandwich in shock, the trio abandon their act and try to help the struggling man. His face flushes red, he panics, his legs kick out awkwardly as he falls to the ground.
Muriel asks the side of beef to lift the crumpled doctor” Muriel makes things weirder by maintaining her third person narration.
Rex hauls Quentin to his feet, Muriel quickly steps behind him and performs the Heimlich manoeuvre. The man projects saliva-soaked, partially-chewed-sandwich, over the startled coat of Mandy.
Ugh
Quentin gratefully gasps in lungfuls of air
After saving his life, she tells the coroner he is welcome.” Muriel says to the man, she pats his head.
“Tha - thanks” Quentin manages. He observes Mandy attempting to brush the stain from her marred clothing. “Oh i'm sorry miss” he apologises and gets to his feet. Mandy gives him a flat look before forcing a smile and a flirtatious giggle.
Oh, no worries. I wasn't planning on wearing it for long anyway...” her harlots onslaught does not cease. She stretches exaggeratedly, revealing even more of her exposed bosom.
The examiners eyes go wide as he visibly swallows “Uh, yes: let's get you out of those clothes....hah, I mean: cleaned up.” The pair leave giggling.
Muriel nods “Muriel thought the broad was a bit hammy, but you couldn't deny, she got the job done.
Can you stop doing that? it's confusing.” Rex complains.
He babbled something dumb at Muriel, which ain't surprisin' : the kid was a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
Picnic! oh man not again, the last one was a total bust.
Muriel tells the guy to get what they came for” Muriel walks over to the wall and starts reading drawer labels.
Right, a body...” Rex remembers and starts opening drawers to look at faces. “Is this one Kusari?
Muriel gives Rex an unamused flat stare “The dope was lookin' a sair stiff, the kind that come from Crete.
Is Crete Kusari?
He was kidding right? could he really be this dumb? Or was it some kind of cover?
Okay okay so, keep looking I guess...
Muriel nods and continues her search. “She wondered if the kid had some kind of boxing injury as she opened a likely draw. 'Bingo' she said as she looked over the body. Dead only a day and hardly a mark on him, she pointed and smiled.
Great, now 'she' helps me get him in the box, and let's get out here.” Rex attempts to mock Muriel's phrasing.