Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How do we reduce player apathy/Leaving rates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
(04-06-2014, 10:23 PM)Achille Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2014, 10:17 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]There are a lot of problems with the mod. People offer lots of useful and constructive suggestions as how to fix these problems. The people who have the power to change things aren't listening to all the feedback, thus, that creates unhappy players.
You then have two groups: those who, although don't like the changes, accept them and keep playing. You then have the other group who doesn't accept these changes and just simply leaves because they don't like them.

Careful Lyth, I really don't want to degrade this into smothering the Admin team with excrement.

I believe you're right about the second part or your argument however. A lot of change has occurred of late and not everybody concurs. You get leavers, you get those who wish to remain, all due to progress (or devolution). It's an intriguing system.

It's not directed at the Admins, it's the general consensus of some of the decisions the Dev team makes.
What's driven me to abandon the game in the past has been the speed at which it's evolving. The mod is a wonderful thing but yet it's almost unrecognisable in comparison to the vanilla universe now. Freelancer is and has been a retro game for over 7-8 years and it's what I fancy a bit of when I decide to come back. Except when I come back it's even more different still.

I'm more likely to replay the single player campaign when I return to freelancer before I jump online. It gives me my nostalgia fix. I think what we're seeing is old players that would have come back but they're not because they aren't seeing Freelancer anymore. They're seeing something entirely different.
(04-06-2014, 11:30 PM)Herve Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah what Troyan said... be their friend. I said that somewhere some time ago.

Instead, noobs and vets are playing against each other, instead of with each other. Root of all evil, of course, is JihadJoe's YOUGOTTALETTHEVETSWINALWAYS doctrine (alley am I doing it right? 24 hours aren't up yet)

Do you even try to hide anymore, Karlotta?

(04-06-2014, 11:53 PM)Garrett Jax Wrote: [ -> ]Do you even try to hide anymore, Karlotta?

Seriously. It's easier than Where's Waldo? now. Spotted him last night.
In all seriousness?

-Remove Gallia
-Remove Lag
-Remove Caps from factions that shouldn't have them
-Remove this 3+ age BS.
-Stop caring about the ideas and opinions of the majority that whines about everything no matter what you do.
-Remove anyone 16 or younger from the admin/dev/moderation team.
Stop adding more plugins that may or may not be causing lag and focus on that point first. No one knows why the server has been lagging for months now, and for some reason the notion of adding more load on the server is a good idea.

Freelancer is an old engine and we can modify it with the use of plugins. It should be getting better, not worse. I know the staff held that one announcement to gather info on the possible cause, but I've heard no result of that or any real crack at what is causing the lag.

Even though the freelancer servers are taking a hit, maybe try running the server without plugins, see how it does? Try changing a few things around, test for heaven's sake. If you are going to keep the title of "beta" wrapped around the mod's current version, at least test things out.
Speaking as a new player, who until recently wanted to recruit friends to try this game as well, I'll give my view of the game so far and let the 'you're new, your opinion doesn't matter' talk be what it is. Up in the air right now on the whole recruit friends thing. Also up in the air if I'll stay. I was giving it a shot this week but the servers been down (I'm sure it's being worked on).

I will say it was one patient and kind Admin that spoke to me for a while and convinced me to give it a 2nd shot - great person and I appreciate it. Likely would have just left otherwise.

1st: Change up the extreme punishments or show some consideration on a case by case basis. Overkill is overkill.

2nd: Treat people with dignity when you punish them and don't showcase their sanction, do it in private or only visible to player and involved parties. You talk about folks not involved seeing the post and writing in it, so save yourself some work and post it to the immediate parties involved. You have to research the details of who is involved anyway there must be some way to do this on the forums or in a private message conversation. This isn't babying anyone, it's about common decency. Right now it's just public shaming, it's frustrating, and I don't give one single iota what rationale why it's used. It's wrong. End of story.

3rd: ^ If you remove that, then you don't have to deal with: admins who write with what appears to be 'delight' when they punish someone or joke about how many folks hate them (admin apathy -or lack of empathy- matters too). This is a vibrant and very much awesome RP community so kneecapping your members is stupid and over-punitive. Making the punishment text look 'witty' doesn't make you look clever, but instead like a sadistic jerk who gets to push the dickmove button again.

4th: Change up the rules where there might be problems or show some understanding to new players. The whole 50% shield damage and warp disrupt is VERY confusing to a new player who doesn't understand this is a legal engagement. If it's not clear, it's not clear. Just because you know something doesn't mean it's clear to someone who has just got here. And no, I'm not saying edit all rules for new players, but look at the rules with some common sense and say 'does this make sense? y/n' and then if you have to punish someone, consider if they're new and knew about it. There's any number of posts claiming how players should treat new players, so why don't admins do the same then? Also, if it's clear the admins don't care about new players, what example does this set for players? There may be rules made for a good reason, but understand that new players don't, can't, and likely won't know what these are, so treat them accordingly when and if you punish them for the first time.

5th: If you have to punish people, why don't you have a strike system? And no, I don't mean, nuke-strike 1, 2, and 3 like it is right now. I mean, get a pen and paper out and be responsible and not overkill the crap out of someone. Whether or not you choose to accept it, taking away what has taken someone time to earn in-game, especially for a new player, can be a huge setback and demoralizing factor. There needs to be some empathy in this. Yes this is 'just a game' but that doesn't negate the fact that it took them time and effort to get to where they were and you are taking this away from them, so a 'one-size-fits-all' punishment system is wrong.

Everyone plays a part in making the community and if you just knee-cap new players for making a mistake or just act judiciously in general, don't act surprised if on a whole, people leave or don't know if they should recommend this game to anyone.

Otherwise the mechanics of the game itself are fine. Developers made a great game and when the server is online it's fun to play. Content is usually the harder sell on a game and this game nails it in being awesome! The breaking point of a new players experience shouldn't be over-punitive punishments.
(04-07-2014, 01:46 AM)Miaou Wrote: [ -> ]Stop adding more plugins that may or may not be causing lag and focus on that point first. No one knows why the server has been lagging for months now, and for some reason the notion of adding more load on the server is a good idea.

No, we quite accurately pinpointed the problem as the host itself several months ago.
Generally, people leaving the game can only be dictated due to the interest being decrementing along. Now Its such an old game, people over the years might not have the same interest and curiosity to play the game as it was.

Secondly, I don't think lag might be the cause of members leaving the game, it may have lead to unrest, disappointment but its not all about PVP and lag finally comes down to the PVP level where it affects.
What I have seen disappointing many people is the nerfs to ships and weapons. After working many hours to rig a transport with the right weapons and armor to be able to defend yourself, you now can be blasted out of space quickly by a small ship. No matter that you are in a ship you have invested a billion plus.
I understand trying to make things fair and fun is a delicate balance, and disco has more variables than I choose to contemplate, but a wealthy vet should not be able to be wasted as quickly as a rookie. These vets loved the RP, and now avoid people because they cannot defend themselves against any noob jerk in a fighter.
I also cannot fathom how it must be for devs and mins. They like disco or wouldn't be here. They have their own favorite factions and houses. How do you decide what way to go with the Sirius story line? Can't make 'em all happy. And then, you have these whiny un-adults of all ages that spend WAY more time in here than in game. They cry whenever they do not get their way, or waste our time with ridiculous nonsense RP. (And you all know who you are) And the teams must sift thru that to get to the posts that may actually reflect the views of those that matter.
The Junkers had every one of their ships nerfed this last time around. Most I know continued to play for a while but have lost desire for rp with strangers. Most believe this was the desire of the teams. Who knows? It's their boat. We're just riding the waves with them. And will be the ones that go down with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18