Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The second Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
''I know it well'' he replied
Before you join it all looks sugarcoated, positive. And then you face the sour reality of how things really are. Ideals and reality keep shifting away from each other and you find yourself doing things you wish you wouldn't be doing. There were quite a few things that bothered her from her service in the Legion, but Eliza didn't feel like expressing them. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really fit for my position.
He lent back and puffed away on his pipe for a bit before answering ''I suppose that happens with us all at somepoint. What we think is going to happen and what actually happens are so very different so very often. But you must keep it reletive, you do the best you can with what you know. Good leaders, in my book, are people who will do their best for their people, but understands that sacrifices must be made sometimes. Furthermore, i reckon it's always better to trust someone who is looking for ways to imporve, rather than just accepts they won't get any better or that they have need to change..''

He hoped that would be enough to cheer her up a little.
Eliza smiled faintly. Alfred's words reminded her that the universe they both lived in was far from perfect and as such she was no exception from the rule. Suddenly she felt embarrassment from expressing her doubt in being a leader fit for duty. Why did she even have to mutter her doubt out loud? There was no way to take her words back now anyways so with a mental sigh she stopped torturing herself over it. I guess you're right. Sorry for hitting the brakes on the interview, if you want we can continue.
''Not at all'' he said dismissing her apology with a wave of his hand ''Now then'' he unpaused the recorder ''Tell me of the population of Malta, for example, there are rumors of low popluation growth, vast gender population numbers and so on. I am curious to know, one, if these things are true and two, if they are true, how does that affect your social structures, crime, social services, governance and the like''.
The girl chuckled slightly. She never expected a chain of coincidences to turn into an actual rumor regarding the Maltese population. Yeah, cardamine has increased our lifespan and eradicated diseases such as cancer but in return the orange grass has severely crippled our ability to reproduce. But vast gender differences? Her face lit from amusement. I mean, yeah, lately there was the coincidence that a lot of females were in more notable positions within the Maltese Nation, but really, it turned into a rumor we're a planet of amazons or something? Before the man could answer she continued. As far as I'm aware both genders are equally affected by the reduced fertility, I guess if we all died from old age this wouldn't have been a problem, but considering a lot of us meet their end in less natural deaths in space the population can really be fragile.
''Race of amazons? not as such. The rumors are largly fantasy based and have no truth to them, still it does pose a question on demographics. Speaking of Cardimine, how long does one live for if they affected by it? an extra twenty or thirty odd years?''
Some have managed to reach 200 years. Though I'd say 160 to 180 seems a lot more realistic as an average lifespan. She imagined this was one of the reasons people were so allured by the orange grass. Though the effect is much lesser if you don't have your roots in Malta. Outsiders who decide to take cardamine don't get to live that long. I guess it takes a few generations for the full effects of it to work. Eliza shrugged, she was never that much into the science behind cardamine. Being born on Malta made her as indifferent towards the grass as towards oxygen or water. It all seemed natural and boring to her.
''200 hundred you say?'' he said with surprise ''That's a hell of a lot longer than many would have guessed.'' He jotted it down and carried on, despite her disinterested look. ''So obviously cardimine is an important thing for the Outcasts, has it made it's way into your culture? as in are there rituals surrounding it? stigmas for exssesive use?''
Ugh, haven't you seen one of those breathing masks? The ones strapped to the chin and with a tube that goes into the nose. The girl poked her left nostril closed with her index finger while explaining. A lot of Maltese use those when not on Malta or in cardamine enriched atmosphere. I personally think they look way to stupid and attract way too much attention. As for excessive use - no, I think mainly outsiders use it extensively to get high. Eliza frowned for a split second. There are even a bunch of junkies on Barrier gate sneaking into the Maltese parts of the station every now and then to try and get high but the saturation in the atmosphere is too low for that. She paused. Only exception I can think of is that in space combat we use it in higher doses, kind of like a booster shot to improve concentration and reflexes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7