Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: You are now the main dev. Everything is under your control. What changes do you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
The exact specifics of the JD change and feedback will be posted once I am not asleep.
(10-10-2017, 10:57 PM)John Wildkins Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2017, 10:54 PM)Daimyo Kijima {ToI} Wrote: [ -> ]Lose ship upon death.

woah now hold on

just because your avatar is EVE doesn't mean the rest of it has to be

It's the only way to fix the Disco economy and make players actually value their life, so much RP is trash because people don't value staying alive during encounters.
(10-12-2017, 02:48 AM)Daimyo Kijima {ToI} Wrote: [ -> ]It's the only way to fix the Disco economy and make players actually value their life, so much RP is trash because people don't value staying alive during encounters.

I would *not* condone losing an entire ship. What would the point of grinding hours on end for even a simple battle transport be? I barely have enough time for Freelancer as it is, I don't want to have to worry over losing my ship.

I can understand losing some credits, sure! But a ship? Pls no.
I'm gonna go ahead and do something that's probably gonna get me slapped...

- Implement my own mining rework, which has already been worked out on a google spreadsheet.
- Make sure every house is at war with another house.
- Increase the pace of storyline advancement (not more frequent updates, but more drastic changes per update).
- Better document aforementioned storyline advancement, as Igiss used to do with his large regional lore posts.
- Significantly reduce zoom range on gunboats and cruisers.
- Give other classes their own 'perks' similar to the VHF aux slot, rather than removing it.
- Rebalance jumpdrives to encourage offensive raid use.
- Create PVE zones that are inclusive to all ship classes.
- Remove TZ from freighters
- Create freighter only smuggling cargo (would count as the freighter class perk I reckon)
- Add high sci fi elements to both the story and art style of Discovery, creating massive derelict ships, ancient technology, et cetera. Stuff like the Cultists was good, not bad.
- Move focus away from the nomads as the only universal antagonist of Discovery's overarching storyline.
- Make piracy more interesting. Number of ideas for that which I don't feel like listing off here.
- In general, try to create more activity hotspots by creating chokepoints and funneling people into specific areas. This is much harder than it sounds.
- Remove Hellbores. Cerbs were bad and so are these.
- Remove POB weapon platforms.
- Add in defensive 'aura' modules for POBs. ie; jumpdrive inhibitor, cloak inhibitor, repair field for allies, etc. Would require a hooker.
- Make weaponry of all dockables and NPC patrols do negligible damage.
- Remove CDs from ALL NPC patrols.
- Create new player tutorial, with three main branches for new players to choose from - Miner, Explorer, or Mercenary.
- Add in drifting derelicts and anomalies using an unnamed NPC faction which spawn in the border/edge worlds. Make both require special guns to loot.
- A lot more that I might edit in to this post later.
Implement my SRP engine for real after seeing it already implemented in 2 dev patches but somehow not implemented.
(10-12-2017, 03:29 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]- Remove Hellbores. Cerbs were bad and so are these.

Either that or, you know, not give them heavy mortar speed.
(10-12-2017, 02:48 AM)Daimyo Kijima {ToI} Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2017, 10:57 PM)John Wildkins Wrote: [ -> ]

woah now hold on

just because your avatar is EVE doesn't mean the rest of it has to be

It's the only way to fix the Disco economy and make players actually value their life, so much RP is trash because people don't value staying alive during encounters.

So what you propose is that player will grind 200-800 million for battleship or big transport with armor and such, and then it can go poof within two minutes in a first encounter against one or two 40 million bombers? Sounds like something balanced what players will really appreaciate. I don´t see how killing big cap battles (because that´s what this would cause) can help this mod to be better for playing and more attractive.
(10-12-2017, 08:03 AM)Laura C. Wrote: [ -> ]So what you propose is that player will grind 200-800 million for battleship or big transport with armor and such, and then it can go poof within two minutes in a first encounter against one or two 40 million bombers?

Don't be silly, it's obvious that balance would have to follow if such a change would be implemented, either by adjusting prices or the pvp capabilities of the involved ships. Nobody proposed what you just said, stop making baseless assumptions to discredit the opinion of others.
(10-12-2017, 08:23 AM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2017, 08:03 AM)Laura C. Wrote: [ -> ]So what you propose is that player will grind 200-800 million for battleship or big transport with armor and such, and then it can go poof within two minutes in a first encounter against one or two 40 million bombers?

Don't be silly, it's obvious that balance would have to follow if such a change would be implemented, either by adjusting prices or the pvp capabilities of the involved ships. Nobody proposed what you just said, stop making baseless assumptions to discredit the opinion of others.

He did not propose what you just said, he proposed

an that was all. How am I supposed to know if he is aware that such steps you mentioned would be necessary or not? So, you should stop making baseless assumptions to discredit the opinion of others.
(10-12-2017, 08:49 AM)Laura C. Wrote: [ -> ]How am I supposed to know if he is aware that such steps you mentioned would be necessary or not?

Ask? Remind? Propose the additionally required balance changes yourself? There are plenty of ways to stay polite when discussing an idea you are sceptical about. If you don't know the full picture about what he's trying to say, the most polite behavior by default would be not to jump to conclusions based on half-information, and then berate him based on your assumptions.

And to actually discuss the idea: If caps would actually become lost upon death, I'd personally prefer a massive buff in survivability as opposed to a massive drop at ship and equipment costs as compensation. Although both could easily mean a decent moneysink, long term (relatively) moderate cost compared to the current, very short term high cost.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11