Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Removing remaining Guard IFFs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
There are multiple reasons why Guard IFFs should be finally phased out (majority of them is already gone). First one would be to not confuse players when they suddenly see their friendly navy as hostile (Ageira sees Liberty Navy Guard IFF as hostile target). Second one would be to make rephack file easier to edit in the future.

I heard arguments that Guard IFF defines highly secured station or area, but that can be achieved with putting stationary NPC-like Cruisers to make that immersive-like feeling. And since RP "I landed on your highly restricted station and planted explosives/bought this ship" can be shut down with forum-side report or straight out ignored (since everyone is deserting/defecting with capital ships anyways), I don't see much reason for this argument to be valid.

So here is the list of last remaining Guard IFFs and their solars. I added few duplicate IFFs that belong to same faction but for some reason it has secondary IFF.

1x Blood Dragon Guard
Mito Shipyards in Chugoku

1x Lane Hacker Guard
Airdrie Hideout in Alberta

1x Red Hessian Guard
Wolfsburg Shipyard in Omega-54

2x Bretonia Armed Forces Guard
Battleship Grimsby in Planet Darlington
Fort Winchester in Manchester

2x Coalition (Not guard, but belongs to Coalition Military with 7 dockable solars)
Planet Jiangxi in Omega-52
Zhukovsky Station in Omega-52

2x Corsair Guard
Ciutadella Outpost in Omicron Kappa
Rhodes Shipyard in Omicron Gamma

2x Kusari Naval Forces Guard
Battleship Sado in Tohoku
Kure Shipyard in New Tokyo

1x Rheinland Military Guard
Battleship Koblenz in Frankfurt

2x The Commonwealth (Not guard, but belongs to Hellfire with 3 dockable solars)
America Freeport in Kansas
Planet Guadalajara in Vespucci

3x Outcast Guard
Bastia Station in Omicron Phi
Corsica Outer Sanctum in Omicron Phi
Dreadnought Captana in Omicron Phi

3x Zoner Guard
Carrier Tarrafal in Bering
Livadia Shipyard in Omicron Kappa
Pueblo Bonito in Baffin

4x Liberty Navy Guard
Juneau Shipyard in Alaska
Battleship Minneapolis in Alaska
Radford Research Station in Virginia
Washington Shipyard in Virginia
About Coalition IFFs.
Currently we treat Coalition as civilian IFF, and its played around. I would tbh rather fix it, instead merging.
But if merge them in one, renaming needed, like Crayter Republic now. Somewhat like Sirius Coalition.
Outcasts would certainly let random people fly in the system where they construct capital ships.

Guard IFF'd stations are highly restricted, just like inRL military installations and nobody besides the same faction should be able to dock.
Personally, i do not think that keeping or removing these would make that much difference in terms of gameplay: most of these IFFs are gone with the Guard systems and sticking to that obsolete concept is not necessary.

For convenience's sake - let go of them with appropriate changes applied where it is necessary. Maybe, exclude the Coalition from this since it makes more sense for them to have separate IFFs.
I mean if the devs would've given us the VI IFF which would've been the Coalition Civilian one like any other corps in other houses, maybe there wouldn't be such an issue for the Coalition. SCRA and SCEC would prolly use same IFF.
(12-25-2019, 10:56 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I heard arguments that Guard IFF defines highly secured station or area, but that can be achieved with putting stationary NPC-like Cruisers to make that immersive-like feeling.

Snake oil. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
(12-25-2019, 10:56 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I heard arguments that Guard IFF defines highly secured station or area, but that can be achieved with putting stationary NPC-like Cruisers to make that immersive-like feeling.

To be honest, Crossfire did that and it looks pretty sick (had like 30 Order Capital Ships stationary on one place in Sol). I dunno why that hasn't been done by now anyways instead of imagining that a stationary Cap Ship is a whole battlegroup just put a couple more cruisers around or something.
(12-25-2019, 11:28 AM)Maltz Wrote: [ -> ]

Snake oil. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It is not broken, it is just obsolete.
Zoner IFF just a joke.

Corsairs have two or three stations with guard IFF one of which is next to Crete.

GC Guard - no stations but IFF exists.

OC Guard is kind of weird. You can up their rep and come to Corsica but you can't buy liquid Cardamine. Outcasts can just classify O Phi as LN/LSF/LPI did with Alaska

What's next? Most of guards IFFs don't need actually and can be used for new canonized factions. Change my mind if they don't
(12-25-2019, 11:02 AM)Anton Okunev Wrote: [ -> ]About Coalition IFFs.
Currently we treat Coalition as civilian IFF, and its played around. I would tbh rather fix it, instead merging.
But if merge them in one, renaming needed, like Crayter Republic now. Somewhat like Sirius Coalition.

Sirius Coalition IFF please. Most of OF IDs are stucked to it. Like, I can't make Coalition IFF transport with Volgograd ID because all the time after /droprep I got another Coalition Military IFF
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6