Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Captain Cross' Office
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[INS Montana Above Crete]

[Image: 836dbde112c71973a0265c531e08b534.jpg]

SOURCE: INS-Montana, Omicron Gamma System.

The door to Captain Cross' office opened allowing the captain to enter. He paused for a moment as he looked upon his "old" office. For the most part it looked the same, yet even now he could see the change in color of his operating systems from Liberty blue to corsair red. Red was his favored color, yet he had grown used to blue. A minor thing all things considering, he would also need to start learning some Corsair Spanish and Greek if he was going to maintain a good cohesion among the new corsair crewmembers.

Walking over to his desk and taking a seat at his chair Cross activated his terminal. Already his inbox was full of message and reports from various chiefs of staff. Old crewmembers still trying to figure out the new technology that hid behind the walls of the Montana. A part of him felt offended that his ship's systems has been changed from how they were, but once his more logically side took over he overcame his offence. It would have been no different from an overhaul being done back in Vespucci the only difference was the brand on the tech.

Cross began sorting through his inbox, as he expected most of them were reports of arguments between the new Corsair crew and the existing "former" insurance crew. It would take some time, and a few battles, before the crew would stop seeing each other as Corsair and Former Insurance. Until then Cross imagined these reports will continue to come in with some frequency. Though he trusted his chief officers to take care of it.

A soft chime informed him that someone was asking to enter his office.

"Enter!" Cross called still looking down at his console.

The Montana's XO entered. "Sir."

"James." Cross greeted then lend back in his chair. "How are the crew?"

James walked over to the chair across from his captain's table and sat down. "Tolerable all things considered. Many of the crew are wondering what's next for us."

"For the near-term we are going to be fighting along side DTR, then the Corsairs wants us back in Liberty to start raiding supplies and other goods they can make use of." Cross answered. "You where their with me at the summit. I imagine we will be backing up the smaller raider ships, the Montana is not known for her chasing ablities."

"That's not what I meant sir, I mean us, the crew, the families we brought along."

"Oh... yes I suppose our original entertains we had for relocating to the Omicrons. A new start in the Omicrons to choose as we see fit, now we have been pulled into the corsairs." Cross paused for a moment as he thought about it. "Our own goals remain the same, we have our new start, albeit not what he had envisioned. We'll establish ourselves within The Corsairs DTR and once we have more saying power we can start to truly establish ourselves in the Corsairs. Once that is complete and we have repaid our Corsair hosts we will decided what to do next, I imagine our thoughts will change in the coming years."

"If you say so Sir, the crew is ready to follow you." James reassured his captain.

"And I will always strive to be worthy of it."
[INS Montana on route to Omicron Nu]

SOURCE: INS-Montana, Omicron Rho System.

Captain Cross stood on the Montana's bridge, slightly watching as the new mixed grew went about their own duties.

'So far so good.' He thought to himself.

James approached from his side held up a data pad. "Sir something you might want to look at, and discuss in private."

Captain Cross took the data pad and looked at the title, an DTR broadcast to the rest of the Corsair empire. The captain quickly began scanning its contents and the Brotherhood's counter broadcast. Cross's expression darkened at the counter broadcast, as it would seem their was a reason for their early deployment. Turing Cross ordered one of the officers to command the bridge in his stead as he and the XO left for Cross' office.

Cross entered his officer and roughly tossed the data pad on the table before almost flopping down in his chair. He proceeded to cup his face and rub away the irritation he was feeling. James patiently waited for his command to have a moment.

"It would seem that DTR has sparked something of a... disturbance among the rest of the Corsair factions." Cross summarized keeping his elbows propped up on his desk and his face covered with his hands. "Meaning we have no shipyard nor base to make minor repairs now. Please tell me that Outworlder Assembly has responded to our message."

"No sir, they haven't." James replied watching his commands hands tighten into fists.

A moment of silence passed then, before Cross sighed and leaned back in his chair. One hand rest upon his thigh while the other propped up his head. He looked at his XO's natural face.

"I imagine it is up to us to provide evidence for DTR to use to convince the rest of the Corsairs this is a worth while path."

"I would imagine so, Sir."

"If we find ourselves up against an Liberty carrier or a bunch of swarming bombers, our ship is going to take heavy damage and we've nowhere to go." Cross mused out loud. "DTR is allied with the Order, if anyone is going to be willing to help a "Corsair ship" it would be them. I'll compile a message, I want it broadcasted deeper into Omicron Minor when we are passing through. If we are luckily someone in the Order will be willing to reply."

"I'll leave you to it sir."

"James." The Xo stopped and turned to his Captain. "If our new corsair crew members decide to turn if DTR is unable to convince the rest of them. I want the marines ready to detain them, I also want them ready to make shock assaults on Crete to get our people back. God willing we wont happen, but I want to be ready for the worst."

"I'll make it so sir." Cross nodded his appreciation and James left to complete his tasks.
[INS Montana in Omicron Nu]

SOURCE: INS-Montana, Omicron Nu System.

Captain Cross went about his "end of the day" duties. The night shift was about to come on active duty and he wanted to finish his work before then. The door to his officer opened, looking up Cross spotted his XO enter.

"Sir, the Freelancer trader has returned from his trip to Gamma." James informed his captain.

"Did he get it?" Cross asked hopeful.

James smiled and nodded. "Yes sir, one cloaking devise and one jump drive. The techs are already moving them both from his hold into ours. The engineers have also clearing out the starboard hanger and have started working on the port side hanger. We've also got the last sludge working again. All four are online now."

"That's wonderful news." Cross smiled, happy to have some good news. "Now all we need is a shipyard to mount them. Lets hope the Order is willing to play ball."

"Yes sir." James agreed.

"Once that cloaking devise is mounted we can start scouting out Virginia for ambush points and trade times." Cross mused. "Has the rest of battlegroup Halberd arrived yet?"

James shook his head. "No sir, sensors are clear, and he have had no messages have been received by the rest of battlegroups."

"I see, lets keep quite for now. I rather not have a full wing of bombers baring down on us with nowhere to go."

"Very wise sir."

"I want to know as soon as we get a reply from our out going messages."

"I'll let you know as soon as we get anything sir."

"Very good, good night James."

"Good night, captain." James saluted then left.

Captain Cross looked out of his office window, staring at the massive Nomad structure in the distance. He often wondered that it was used for when it was still active. Maybe it was a shipyard or some hub for one thing or another. Surprisingly he had not seen much in the way of science vessels entering the system to research the structure. Though it was also very possible that it had already been researched. In truth the only Liberty ship that the Montana had come cross had been a fighter and bomber that were chasing a Corsair transport. They were rather quick to back off once they saw the Montana blocking their path.

'Smarter then your average Liberty pilot.' Cross thought, he often saw bomber pilots going after capital ships by themselves only to be shot down by nearby fighters or by the capital ship's guns.

Yet, at the same time Nu had been very quiet. There is little to no traffic in this system, only a Order transport once in a while and a few scouting Zoners. A relatively empty system, but given the upper Omarion tended to be this way it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Cross' thoughts drifted to Vespucci, he was born on Fort Leniex and never stepped foot on Veracruz for more then a few hours. His parents -or he should say his father as his mother didn't want anything to do with him- were officers on their own ships. His father a commander on a battlecruiser and his mother a comm officer on a cruiser. When the Montana was built what passed for the Insurgent's command were struggling to find anyone willing to command him. Given that the Navy in system where specifically targeting the larger capital ships. Just about every Arbiter stayed near a station to avoid possible cloaked bombers what where hiding nearby. When the time came to find a crew for the Montana he had been among the very few to put their name into the metaphorical hat. Cross suspected that his father had some hand in the final outcome when it came to naming the ship's captain. James himself was forced into his position as his last ship was too far damaged to be repaired.

"Captain to the bridge, Captain to the bridge." A voice came over the intercom breathing Cross out of his musings.

Cross quickly made his way to the bridge where he found James hunched over the radar with the radar operator.

"Report." Cross order taking a seat in his command char.

"Sir, long range radar has picked up a contact, battlecruiser class, we are trying to Identify it now."

"Very well, maintain battle readiness." Cross replied mentality readying himself to take on a Liberty battlecruiser.

A few more tense minutes passed when comms officer called out.

"Radar one contact, ID... Insurgency."

A feeling of relief washed over the captain as the contact was deterred to be a friendly, with no shipyard to make major repairs Cross was hesitant about putting the Montana into any combat action.

James continued off for the comms officer. "Sir, the ship contacted us its the Helena..."

"Its good to see you captain Cross, I see you've been taking good care of your ship." Captain Avery Simmons greeted his fellow captain with a hearty hand shake.

Captain Avery Simmons was much older then Captain Cross, by twenty years to be exact. Simmons' was a rather scrawny man having to wear small clothes one would find on a newly enlisted boy rather then a seasoned captain. Though who did not know him might confuse him for such a newly enlisted dressing up as a captain. Only one person had ever made that mistake. His brown hair was short as he hated it when his hair got caught in his hat, and his green eyes always seemed to have a bit of glee to them.

My meaty hand grasped the metal hand that was Captain Simmons' left hand. A rather poor battle had left his ship damage and a support beam had fell on him during the battle.

"Like wise Captain Simmons, you made it out of Vespucci." Cross replied smiling back at the captain.

"Yes, got tired of waiting for my own death you see. The Navy tried to make a push for the planet but they got beaten back again, they've been licking their wounds since and have just now gotten their fleet strength back up."

"I thought Liberty Marines had already made planet fall." Cross commented as he remembered the communication they had gotten from Insurgent command.

"Ah they did, while we where fighting upstate some landing craft snuck around the side and make it to the planet. But the Order has been helping us under the table." Simmons replied a devious smile appearing on his face. "Once they landed they found themselves under fire from Kemwer Munitions. Poor bastards where ripped to shreds."

"The Order? I thought they were starting to get along with Liberty. "

"They are with their black fleet, but from what I know a single Order super transport has been making the run passed the Navy. No idea how, Order magic tech if I had to guess ahah."

"Ever get the Id on this transport?"

"Personally? No, I've only heard about it from some rumors. The insurgency has been very quiet about it, don't want our only suppler to be caught now do we? But that is them, tell me about you. Last I saw you where taking off towards the Taus. Did you meet the Corsairs? Ah dumb question look at all the red lights and new crew members."

Cross nodded. "We did, we met at their capital world yet as it would seem the rest of the Corsairs are none to happy about the Deterrence's choices about us. Even now we haven't heard anything from them since he would told to leave their systems while they try and sort it out."

"Ah polities, all I want to do is command my ship! speaking of ships I don't suppose their is a place for the Helena to dock and restock?"

"The nearby Zoner base has been willing to supply us. I sure they will be willing to assist."

"Wonderful, we'll pay them a little visit when we are done here."

"What do you plan to do now that your here?" Cross asked.

"We'll find a cause worth fighting for. From the looks of it their will be a lot of work to do in the Omicrons. But if you ever need a little fire support don't be afraid to call us!"

"I'll keep that in mind."

Cross pressed send on the message he had just finished compiling to the Order. The captain leaned back in his chair and let out a sigh, he still had to play diplomat for a while longer. He hoped that the Handler of the battlegroup would be understanding. If he left on bad terms with DTR then the Order might rethink their choice about taking them in. A beeping from his office door broke the captain out of his thoughts.

"Enter." Cross called out to the door.

His XO entered and saluted. Cross retuned the salute.

"Sir, I have something for you from the crew." James began walking towards the captain. "But it seems like you've been busy yourself."

"The ship's "Commissar" contacted me. Turns out he has been monitoring communications around the ship as well as security cameras, even ones for the my eyes only." Cross commented in a rather deturbed voice. He noticed his XO looked towards the camera in the room. "I had it turned off."

"I was not aware we had a commissar or board sir." James replied holding his date pad up and screeching through the officer logs. "Let alone how he got access to message meant for you sir."

"Its all news to me as well James." Cross answered. "It would seem for the little time the Corsair techs had with our systems they where able to sneak in a few backdoors."

"I'll have one our own scrub the system." James answered but Cross held up his hand.

"I rather not make them even more suspicious then they are already. I would rather keep things peaceful."

"As you say sir."

A moment passed. "You said you have something for me from the crew?"

"Yes sir," James then place his tablet on the captain's table. Captain Cross picked up the tablet and began to scroll through the very long list of names. "Its a signed petition from a mass majority of the still insurgent crew. They want us to break away from the Battlegroup and join some other faction. From what I gathered from the ones who presented the petition to me, many of the original crew are feeling like we are becoming what the Liberty propaganda has portrayed us as, and do not want to become simple pirates , and the other majority feel like the corsairs are just using us."

"And the more zealous?" There were always those who would take things to far in any group.

"A few demonstrations that I had the marines disperse." James answered, before pointing out a few pictures taken.

There was a semi-large group of people holding up signs that said "If the corsairs don't want us why should we help them?", "The Montana is our home not a pirates den", or "Corsairs are the new Navy!". It was a Marrok feared, people were starting to push aback against his decision to accept the Corsair's aid and plan for them.

"Is this a bad time?" Avery Simmons asked entering Cross' office.

"Captain Simmons." Captain Cross greeted his fellow captain, standing from his chair out of respect for the more seasoned captain. "No so much, we are dealing with inter ship strife at the moment."

"Yeah, some of my boys and girls have mentioned as much." Captain Simmons commented taking a seat in one of Cross' guest chairs. "That aside I was coming up to thank you in person for letting the crew of the Helena has some R&R aboard the Montana. Arbiters have a lot more space then our comparatively cramped Judicator. Having a promenade level is probably one of the best decisions the designers had for the newer Arbiters, I tell you."

"It does help the crew unwind after a day's work." Cross agreed, agreed before changing the topic. "There is something I could use your help with Captain."

"Oh?"

"The Montana is looking to transfer itself to the Order. The Order for their part has shown interest, the corsairs on board... partially a commissar, don't like the idea."

"A commissar!? What is this the Coalition!?" Simmons called out surprised. "The hell does the corsairs think they are doing putting a political officer on a Liberty space ship! I pray to God that this guy's job is not what the name implies!"

"Yes, I am not to happy about finding out about this either. I don't recall any mention of this during our first meeting."

"Neither do I, sir." James added.

"Aaah, I'll let you deal with it Cross." Simmons relented remembering he was not on his ship. "So what do you need from me?"

"Well, to make a list of reasons short, a larger majority original crew are starting to have second thoughts about joining the corsairs, we lack a drydock to major repairs and finish are refit, and the Montana is unsuited for the missions DTR has in mind for the battlegroup. As of now we are trying to get the Order to take us in, and they seem interested. Yet at the same time we don't want to leave the battlegroup on bad turns which can cause a problem with Order and Corsair relations."

"And you would like the Helena to take your place in the battlegroup?" Sammons summarized. "With the insurgent people on board not like the corsairs more and more, something bad might happen."

Cross nodded.

"Quite the pickle you've got yourself into there captain." Sammons went on. "I will admit, the crew of the Helena are looking to give the Navy a beating and I would be lying if I said most of them aren't looking to make Liberty hurt for that they did to Vespucci."

Sammons became quiet for a few moments before speaking. "Tell you what Captain, I'll talk it over with the crew and I'll give it an honest thought. I agree that Montana is unsuited for lunching raids without a lot of support, and without a shipyard to come back too..." Summons let his words hang.

"Thank you captain. The Montana is in your debt." Cross thanked the other captain.

Captain Simmons let out a chuckle. "Don't think me just yet..."

SOURCE: INS-Montana, On route to Omicron Kappa.

Captain Cross sat in his office going over reports. The protests were starting to simmer down ever since word spread outside the command staff that the Order was looking add the Montana to its fleet. Yet now, there was a switch in the "Problem group" as the on board Corsairs were starting to get a little rowdy. Thankfully it had not reached the levels of that the Insurrectionist were at, or a least not yet.

However, as of now the Order were working on getting the Montana access to the Zoner ship yard of Livadia. Cross had already ordered the ship to Kappa so that they could dock as soon as they were given the green light. Even now the Montana was barely functioning at 10% capability. Just about anyone could take on the Montana as it was.

Yet things were not looking good for with DTR. The Fleet liaison to DTR not willing to let the Montana leave the fleet. Even after gifting DTR with several dozen tones of industrial materials, supplies that he knew that the Corsairs did not have easy access to. However, Captain Cross could see the game the liaison was playing. He was trying to milk the Montana for thing they could get, FAR past that little they put into the ship. Cross temper sored when his Freelancer contacts relayed the message from DTR. He had half of mind to cut all communication with DTR, but Cross knew that the Corsairs where in a position of power in this relationship. They were merely playing their better hand, at the moment.

But that did not mean Cross could not work to improve his own hand.

The door to his office opened.

"You called for me captain?" Security Officer Sam Raynor asked walking in.

The Erie born former Zoner was rather muscular man yet average height. His hair was semi long and black in color, and his eyes a steel color. He was one of the few who held an officers rank yet was not required to wear a uniform. Instead the security officer wore a white tshirt with double shoulder holster over it, and simple dark blue pants.

"Yes, please take a seat." Captain Cross replied to which Raynor took a seat, leaning back in the chair.

"What can I do for you captain?"

"I would like for you to start getting ready for any little tricks or plans our Corsair crew might have for us." Cross began, seeing his security officer raise an eyebrow. "I'm sure your aware that the Order is looking to take us in, but it would seem DTR has become rather fond of us and is not willing to let us go. If we have to leave by force I want to be ready for anything they might have slipped into the ship's systems while they were trying to messing with it. Override codes, shutdown codes, system lockouts, the works, if they snuck it in our systems I want it found and a counter routine in place."

"I suppose you also want the marines ready to... settle down any who thinks otherwise." Raynor added catching on.

Cross nodded. "Do it as quietly as you can, I rather not have them try anything before we are ready."

"I'll get the boys and girls on it. May have to ask the techs for a little help for the software."

"I trust you can handle it." Cross answered to which Raynor nodded. "I hope it will not come to it, but if it does. They will not catch us unprepared, starting tomorrow I'm ordering a communication black out. Only Order and official DTR message for me come in."

"I'll get on it then." Raynor said standing and heading for the exit.
Three year time skip
[INS Montana in Omega-48]

SOURCE: INS-Montana, docked at Livadia Capital Drydock.

A smile sat on Captain Cross, finally things were looking up since the Montana left Vespucci. The past three years with the Zoners had given the crew a much need rest from all the crap they had to deal with in the Omicrons. It felt good to have some time away from the tress. Sure the first few months after the they had arrived at the Zoner shipyard was tense, once the novelty of having a Insurrectionist battleship in their drydock rotation wore off things settled down.

To add to that, the Order had been able to negotiate the peaceful release of the Montana to the Order. All that was left was to wait for the Order to send out their escorts, make a stop at Gamma to drop off the Corsair crew then to the Order base system. At an convenient time too, even since the Corsairs took freeport 9 the zoners of the station had been rather hostile towards the Corsair crew. It would be good to get them back to their own people and the evil glares of the Zones off them.

Hopefully life would be better once they got to Order territory.
[INS Montana in Omicron Mu]

SOURCE: INS-Montana, docked at Carthage Capital Yards.

Captain Cross stared at the reflection of himself. He was in his Insurgent Officer's uniform as apposed to his more causal blue and black navy fatigues. He had not worn it in a long time, but given he was about to meet with thee head of the Order, Marrok thought it right to wear something presentable. After all he and his crew could just as easily dismissed and left on the Order planet nearby to resettle while a proper Order crew was assembled for the Montana. If Montana would remain the ship's name after everything was said and done. After one final look over Marrok Cross turned and left his quarters, perhaps for the last time. Cross caried his captains had in his hand as he made his way to the Air Lock were his Order escorts was waiting. After a quick scan of him and a reminder that he would be monitored while he met with the Grand Admiral.

Before Marrok Cross stepped into the airlock, he took one final look at his ship, and prayed that it would remain his after this meeting.
Pages: 1 2