Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: saronsen summary of 5.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
alternative title, DM me when they revert the changes 4 years from now

1. battleships suck to fly. at all.
A. if you miss a dockable enjoy burning through your limited strafe or tapping for a minute to try and recover. cruise to the next lane ring or instead of risking missing that one, cruise the whole length. faster.
B. credit devaluation has made ships low enough rank for NPCs to harass instead of staying away because of your big scary rank. this wouldnt be a huge issue, except;
C. NPCs are more than happy to be 0 meters away from you and smash you into pieces
D. flipping from wreckage/cargo/ships flying into you is 4.84 levels of bad, if not worse despite the supposed "fix" for mass. if you arent actively ekilled (dead in the water/in pvp) your battleship will be sent to the mega gay zone at mach 5. this is compounded with the fact battleships now have the response and turn rate of a dead cat, so you will never recover before youre permanently screwed over in a fight
E. whatever you did to secondary arcs and DPS, you have to be actually intentionally flying straight at a battleship to be in danger in a smaller ship. even non-mission NPCs who do just that are an absolute ballbuster to kill because you might have 2 or 3 turrets max on them, besides goldielocks zones in some turret setups
2. cruise disruptors are useless. just the refire rate alone on the 5k disruptor makes it useless thanks to countermeasures that you supposedly nerfed. attempting to intercept in a cruiser or battlecruiser is useless thanks to your mass fix, meaning you have 1 chance to disrupt someone youre cruising basically on top of. by the time the refire kicks in for the second shot, youre 2km behind them and they can just attempt to cruise again. if you dont disrupt them (because the disruptors are dog water) you dropped to impulse speed in a second flat and theyre out of range.
3. gunboats are okay. they arent in threat of immediate death around other caps, but this is in part to the above where caps are just so painfully slow they cant be a threat to anything but themselves and;
4. bombers are useless. i dont think i need to get into the specifics of you nerfing every gun to doing sweet dick-all damage, or mostly being EMP weapons. theyre a threat to maybe a transport and thats if theyre asleep at the wheel
5. battlecruisers. bland, boring, put as much energy drain into secondary/primary weapons as possible and built around the meme weapon. theyre a danger mostly to other battlecruisers and are in immense danger from gunboats/battleship razors
6. i dont care about the rest. maze system? submitting myself to CBT for the "reward" of some nothing? whatever.
7. fighters are cool and good and the only combat ship that feels enjoyable to fly : )
addendum: i dont even want to get in to the deletion of systems and commodities
addendum 2: cloaks are useless. the distances you get decloaked make cloak disruptors pointless at well. revert or remove at this point.
addendum 3: reworked (read: rendered useless) capital codenames with no prior warning or offers of a refund

TLDR you/the team played ships on war thunder/world of warships for 5 minutes, thought this would translate well to freelancers engine, and ported over the "weight" and "feel" of them without porting over what makes them competent games.
i have never flown anything that felt as awful as the battleships in this patch, and that includes the ancient, original barges.
its as bad as i expected it to be. your goal seemed to be finding out how to make caps them as unapproachable as possible and as worthless against non-caps as possible so you never have to realistically deal with them in PVP again.

im certain a few people who got things they wanted in the patch/dont fly caps will climb out of the woodwork to defend the changes and slurp up what you dumped on their plate you squatted over, but we all know who they are
thanks for nothing and thanks for coming to my ted talk
no you cant have my stuff
Are there any battleship mains who enjoy the changes, prefer flying post patch battleships than pre patch? PvP balance aside
Reeves, this is NOT flood! This is serious.

Unlike the turning rate of Battleship Kinetic Turrets, which can't be serious.
(10-17-2023, 07:44 AM)Czechmate Wrote: [ -> ]They last way longer Vs bombers, sure, but it's less fun and enjoyable to me

spend a few minutes comparing bomber weapons to last patches. look at the hull damage they used to do. theyre not even threats anymore, save for being massively outnumbered. the SNAC is an EMP weapon, primary and heavy weapons have been gutted (primary because they were threats more to fighters than anything else)
Well sure, but that's part of balance - battleships were dead in the water Vs bombers, now they are a challenge.

I'm just talking about overall enjoyment playing them - they feel like the most boring class to me now, with how they move, how they shoot like 2-3 secondaries when you run out of core.

I'd just lower both damage and energy requirement, this ability to shoot 20% of your guns on regening core is just well, unfun. Docking in lanes is a category on it's own
(10-17-2023, 07:49 AM)LunaticOnTheGrass Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:its as bad as i expected it to be. your goal seemed to be finding out how to make caps them as unapproachable as possible and as worthless against non-caps as possible so you never have to realistically deal with them in PVP again.

You heard him, nobody will log caps anymore
i said i like pancakes, so you read i must hate waffles
people will fly them and because their secondaries and core are miserable, theyre basically ignorable by smaller craft. i.e you will never have to realistically deal with them if you fly a snub
(10-17-2023, 07:49 AM)LunaticOnTheGrass Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:its as bad as i expected it to be. your goal seemed to be finding out how to make caps them as unapproachable as possible and as worthless against non-caps as possible so you never have to realistically deal with them in PVP again.

You heard him, nobody will log caps anymore

Talking about battleships, heavy especially - they will - they got one thing going - they last a while, can't do much, heavy BS will be the beginner ship more or less, but sadly come with the unfun annoyances we mentioned - they are the stalling big things you can ignore that buy time if targeted. New guys will still like that and log that because of scale and more duration they last in in PvP.

Edit: range nerfs also hurt on mortars, make em unfun - this was done due to BC components having cross closer sure, but makes you not fire at all Vs other classes often Wink
Edit 2: I guess that's why cruiser heavies were nerfed too actually last hotfix
Gunboats aren't just okay btw, they are a ton of fun and strong as they got buffed while other classes got nerfed. Fighter bombers are also finally somewhat legit, so are frigates and Ceres, and letting fighters have shotgun MR build and cd is cool too. Freighters being able to mine and have full guns instead of being sitting ducks is also well done. You can tell battleships were not designed by battleship mains but the stuff I mentioned is definitely a step in the right direction, hope you see that too Smile
Reminder that as mentioned, this is not Flood.
Lets make this constructive:
- Docking in trade lanes in any system but Gallia is a mess for battleships
>> This can't be fixed easily without access to source code (I remember having this exact conversation 5 years ago).
- The balance of the ships is good for the time being - I fly all ships except LF and HF! I will fly these 2 as well
- If you found dead-end spots in turret setup; post it in Balance as a bug to be reviewed - with ship, turret loadout etc., as much details as possible
- 1-2 Bomburs taking on a BS and keeling it is absurd. Capital ship. However you want to name it, play and have it. Bombers have their place now vs GBs, Cruisers, BC and in large fights vs BS. Else stay docked or fly a BS.
- GBs need a slight nerf in turning, either they are too fast, the people flying them are too good, or the projectile speeds of cruisers and above needs to be improved. 2 GBs can take down 1 Cruiser, and based on GB & Cruiser, 1v1 - see Liberty Siege Cruiser vs Rogue GB.
- Turn rate of objects in space is limited by their mass, if a BS would turn as fast as a VHF or GB, it would break apart- do some research on this.
- The size of the Kinetics and Turn rate is awful indeed for the weapon costs / stats. It will be taken off of your ship in a prolonged fight.
- If the players who have more experience flying BShips have things to add, make it constructive - Balance + Ship + Details.
This patch is the best thing to happen to Discovery since its launch. AAA companies deliver 60$ games with more bugs and critical issues than devs working for fun with a toxic and ungrateful community.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7