Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rule 5.7 and the Trader Exception
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
' Wrote:One point I wish to raise . Trader death is not 40 million loss. It might be 40 million profit loss, but what you paid is never 40 mil, unless you're a damn fool. Loss is normally between 0 and 5mil depending on what you are hauling.

What a trader loses on death is time.

Turns out I have a second point, add to my list of suggested changes, creating a new exemption under the dying rules for traders. Docking doesn't count as death.

There, perfect we now have newbie protection until level 40, co cap rules, no 4h exemption, but a docking exemption for traders, and a buff to transports that means they can run better. That would make everything better. I assure you it would, because I am right.

Replacing one trader exception with another sounds incredibly pointless to me.

If one of the aims is to simplify the rules, this isn't the solution.
' Wrote:It would just make ganking a requirement for any combat--protect against losses

And your proposal penalizes ships that with low combat abilities. Of course you prefer this kind of thing when you are in a gunboat and your opponent is in a stork, since there is no risk of you dying in that scenario.
If you're in a stork and want to fight back, ur doing it rong.

' Wrote:Replacing one trader exception with another sounds incredibly pointless to me.

If one of the aims is to simplify the rules, this isn't the solution.
I don't think simplification is one of the aims, merely a re-balancing/re-evaluation of sorts.
' Wrote:I want to ask you to get your numbers straight.

Believe me, you do not get any type of ore for 5 million (only if you mine it yourself, which is an entirely differnet topic). I have been playing IMG for long enough to tell you that for sure. Make it 12,5 (2500 / unit) - 25 million buyin (GMG|, H-3). Standard ore prices are about 3,5k / unit in my experience => 17,5 mio.

Soneone who knows.

If you mine the ore yourself, then you just lose time.

Let's say you trade with Super Alloy, you wouldn't buy it at Oder Shipyard, you would buy it at Scarborough Station to sell it at planet New Berlin. It involves more time, but the profit is higher.

I guess if you wanna trade alone, you should assume the risks, I think these changes would encourage people to team up when trading.
Yes to both. Traders have too much leeway, and there's no need to buff transports either. A well armoured transport can already make safe harbour, unless it has multiple hostiles on it's tail. Traders should be scared of losing their cargo. They should be scared of losing their ship. If they get caught by a pirate they should be trying to survive, and if their only option is to pay either credits or cargo then that's exactly what should be done.

As for allowing caps to shoot transports to get over the whole "lulzy ptrans doing whatever it wants knowing no capship can shoot it" thing........ Hmmm, nice idea, but then you'll just get cruisers pirating transports instead. Don't want to see that. Lesser of two evils perhaps? Or a split rule, but that kinda defeats the object........
Did you think about working persons, valuable members of community, also many faction leaders who simply would be discouraged to Disco after removal that exception? Someone spends his free time after work for mod, enrich our joy from game, but has small amount time for gaming? Someone who needs rather quickly way of making cash, to use credits on his/her RP accounts. Some players just like certain routes, they are very familiar with them, they know what's behind next lane,gate,system... Don't force others to maintain few-to-dozen Storks because "making cash is too easy". That cash keeps entire community running! How much cash are "producing" pirate players? 0. ZERO. Never single credit was "produced" by act of piracy. How much cash, required for EVERYTHING in Disco are producing traders? WHOLE. EVERY CREDIT IN THIS COMMUNITY IS RESULT OF SOMEONE'S TRADING/MINING. EVERY SINGLE CREDIT exists only because somebody delivered commodities from point A to point B. What about new players? They also should have 5 Titanics, every in other House? What about newbies in Gulls in Pennsylvania, mining helium and hauling it to Kusari? They also should be punished by that, because lolwut on pirate char, from pure malicious demanded 10 M, only for blue message? I know and you know Pirate ID playerbase is full of such...bastards. Helium road to Kusari is closed. Then maybe Bretonia, with Gallic cruiser NPCs? Or Rheinland, when RFP will shoot them only because they don't know about war and embargo, and don't want to listen? I talked about it with my friend on skype and he agreed in case if proposed changes pass, Discovery will be nothing more than purely PvP server.

Admins, you are wise persons, don't do that.

Traders, and in general, every far-sighted community member, where are you? I understand only Jack Henderson and I are trading in Disco? Your, OUR, Community future is endangered and you're so silent? Protest against it, take part in discussion, vote, ACT! We must stop that madness!
Once again the separation of trader and pirate players.

There are no pirate players. There are only pirate characters. Most "pirate players" trade and mine just like anyone else.

Both variants have it's advantages. The current situation is more beneficial for player activity.
The proposed could help lower the suicide rate of traders.
' Wrote:Once again the separation of trader and pirate players.

There are no pirate players. There are only pirate characters. Most "pirate players" trade and mine just like anyone else.

Both variants have it's advantages. The current situation is more beneficial for player activity.
The proposed could help lower the suicide rate of traders.

I'm talking partially about very "special" kind of "players" misusing Pirate ID to achieve blue message orgasm. Of course also other arguments in my previous post were deeply considered before being posted.

bloogaL

' Wrote:Once again the separation of trader and pirate players.

This.

As for the current system being better for activity, power traders can still power trade with the proposed system, they just need to learn another couple more trade routes so they can in turn, stay on the server and continue getting rich. Furthermore, the proposed system hopefully, would increase pirate activity (as it's not only fun, but also becomes profitable) which means increased server activity. The more pirates you have the more trader/pirate RP you get ando the more lawful/pirate RP you get. More RP means more activity!
' Wrote:Traders, and in general, every far-sighted community member, where are you? I understand only Jack Henderson and I are trading in Disco? Your, OUR, Community future is endangered and you're so silent? Protest against it, take part in discussion, vote, ACT! We must stop that madness!

I am a trader. I got 5 large trans, and a couple frieghters. I voted yes for both. I am sorry, but even now my transport dies, and i go to a new char, or a new route. All this would hinder is those who powertrade same route over, and over, and those who lack imagination to look for new routes. In no way will it kill trading.
As for stopping base supplies? 1 arrow can do that just by shooting it every few minutes. Shields go up, and no one can dock.
' Wrote:Traders, and in general, every far-sighted community member, where are you? I understand only Jack Henderson and I are trading in Disco? Your, OUR, Community future is endangered and you're so silent? Protest against it, take part in discussion, vote, ACT! We must stop that madness!

Dude - I don't know what you're smoking, but ... stop it.

In the various e-peen threads regarding wealth - how the heck do you think I got the however the heck many billions and billions of credit I've had? Oh, yeah - trading. (With a small smattering of missions thrown in, but mostly just trading.)

I made the diamond-niobium run ONE time, just to see what all the fuss was about. It offended me - as it was completely OORP for my character. Then it was back to hauling cargo from Rheinland to Bretonia and back - yes, THROUGH Omega-3 and Omega-7. I was successfully pirated along there ONCE. Rest of the time, either the pirate had big fail, or I simply avoided them - or there just wasn't anyone there to pirate me. (Maybe because they're all in Cali, on the first trade lane from New York?)

You know what your argument actually sounds like? You want to be privileged. You want to be special. You don't want to be held accountable for your actions. And most importantly, you don't want to ROLE-PLAY. As Stoat said ...
Quote:Traders should be scared of losing their cargo. They should be scared of losing their ship. If they get caught by a pirate they should be trying to survive, and if their only option is to pay either credits or cargo then that's exactly what should be done.

I heartily recommend that the admin team put this one on the fast track for, at a bare minimum, a trial to last 6 weeks, and see if the sky falls down while it's running. You know, we set up the official caps shooting transports as a trial ... and oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth ... and you know what? Sky didn't fall down, did it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24