Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An extreme decision
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Just wondering, but how would a trial account keep a hacker from hacking? Theoretically, if they can log into the server, trial account or not, they can still hack the game to bypass those restrictions.

Unless I am not fully understanding just how it works on a cdoing level...

Edit: *coding (stupid auto carrot)

I appreciate all you guys are doing, and I'm not trying to take away from that.
So, 1 forum account, 1 token ..... That way you could track all characters, that someone uses with that token.

Hmm, i can imagine some kind of web interface to manage ingame accounts and characters. For both, admins and players. In the end this might be even better than i thought.

About the TRIAL players... maybe slowly drop few of those restrictions automaticaly after some time, before promoting the account to full member. I can see this as maybe some kind of ooRP (or RP) quest line, that would explain the stuff to newbs, and actually help them with the beginnings. Giving them something to do, while they are waiting for the promotion.
What types of questions will you ask us and do members that already play now have to go through the same process as new players? Or do we just automatically get tokens?
(12-23-2016, 01:19 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]Boys and Gals,

- TRIAL
- Cannot inflict damage to other players or bases
- Cannot leave Pennsylvania (or log a ship outside of Penny/ go to conn)
- Cannot receive or give cash
- Cannot transfer
- Cannot jettison objects (nothing will be in space after death as well)
- More to come if we see fit

[color=#00FF00]The idea of still allowing people to log into the game is due to the prospect of newbies potentially not understanding why they would be otherwise instantly kicked off the server and shrugging it off.

The system will work by adding an authentication token you will be provided with by an administrator to your launcher parameters. If no such token is provided, you will be authenticated as a TRIAL player and the restrictions will apply to you.

A thread will be created where you will have to post with some details about you and your authentication token will be sent to you by an admin via PM. Sharing your authentication token is absolutely forbidden, if it is revoked for cheating because you shared it with a cheater, you will not be allowed back into the game.

I think this is a good idea and not just for the current reasons. If I had been restricted when I started playing this game I would have learned/mastered a lot of basics that I sometimes didn't understand until a couple of years after joining the server.
I know that I'm far from being that active here (only being ingame once every couple of weeks for no more than a couple of hours - and only checking in here on the forum once every week or two due to having a heck of a lot of stuff going on in real life) - but I can see this process being a real detriment to the server regaining players if new players are locked into one or a handful of systems. In fact it may drive them onto other servers or other mods.

Yes, I understand what you're wanting to accomplish here, but I fear that such a process - while looking good on paper - will, in practice, harm the community more than help it.

One major issue I can see would be for people that use multiple accounts (ingame - I only have the one Forum account) for various things - for example, I've got 3 accounts in use here - all of which are used for different RP styles. Would I need a token for every single account - or even worse, every single character - or would the token be applied to the mod installation itself?
(12-23-2016, 03:46 PM)Gunbladelad Wrote: [ -> ]One major issue I can see would be for people that use multiple accounts for various things - for example, I've got 3 accounts in use here - all of which are used for different RP styles. Would I need a token for every single account - or even worse, every single character - or would the token be applied to the mod installation itself?

The way Alley explained it seems like you need 1 token which is added to the Discovery Launchpad application (that thing where you can select accounts and toggle options for the game). So you get 1 token and use that token to fly all your ships on all the accounts you have access to. You probably can have multiple forum accounts and I doubt you'll need an extra token for those too (and probably the admins won't give you more than 1 token).
One token per launcher parameters sounds fine. Getting people to create an account and check the forums isn't a bad idea either. I'm worried though that the staff won't hand them out fast enough as most things with our green people uses to take it's time. If it goes smoothly, then fine. If not, it eventually kicks off various of the few new players we still get. Time will show.
From a personal standpoint I can understand implementing such a system, so you've got my support.
Will there need to be any activity requirements towards going from Trial to Member state however? Mainly just asking as I personally don't log my ships that often, I just 'fly casual' these days. Though I expect I'll keep a close-ish eye on the forums still, especially with the current situation(s) going on.
(12-23-2016, 03:28 PM)Shush Muppet Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering, but how would a trial account keep a hacker from hacking? Theoretically, if they can log into the server, trial account or not, they can still hack the game to bypass those restrictions.

Unless I am not fully understanding just how it works on a cdoing level...

Edit: *coding (stupid auto carrot)

I appreciate all you guys are doing, and I'm not trying to take away from that.

The "hacking" they do is clientside, due to FL being complete cheese and blindly trusting whatever the client sends. It's a flaw of the game itself.
They can't "hack" what is purely serverside.
Guys this isnt about inconvenience for gods sake the server freaking down cause of straight up vandalism. Were ALL affected right now. you need to be on your knees thankful as hell there's even an alternative LIKE this to keep any sort of hackers or cheaters neutralised off this game. THIS decade PLUS game.

Bring up the firewall bring it on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18