Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An extreme decision
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
(12-23-2016, 03:48 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: [ -> ]The way Alley explained it seems like you need 1 token which is added to the Discovery Launchpad application (that thing where you can select accounts and toggle options for the game). So you get 1 token and use that token to fly all your ships on all the accounts you have access to. You probably can have multiple forum accounts and I doubt you'll need an extra token for those too (and probably the admins won't give you more than 1 token).

This is correct. The token is essentially bound to you as a person, your account(s) be it forum or game do not matter here, this is like establishing an ID card.
(12-23-2016, 04:07 PM)HuggieSunrise Wrote: [ -> ]Guys this isnt about inconvenience for gods sake the server freaking down cause of straight up vandalism. Were ALL affected right now. you need to be on your knees thankful as hell there's even an alternative LIKE this to keep any sort of hackers or cheaters neutralised off this game. THIS decade PLUS game.

Bring up the firewall bring it on.

The server currently has 10-15 people at low activity hours and usually peaks around 80 people and that's only weekends. I think discussing how this will affect new players is a very valid thing to do.
just an idea: would it be possible for a member to "hire" new players on a temporary basis by using the "forming" flight or the "joining group" option?

one example to explain what I would like to do:

1 - The member goes to Pennsylvania and meets new players
2 - After meeting interesting new players, he proposes them a job
3 - They accept and form on the member ship (or join his group depending on what is better for the server-mechanic)
4 - By forming on the member ship/joining the member group, the server provides them some extra rights (especially going out of Pennsylvania)
5 - They do their mission (like supplying Freeport 11)
6 - As a control measure, new players would be kicked and brought back to Pennsylvania after they quit formation (1 min delay to let people dock on jumpholes/jumpgates and bases/planets).

This way, a member could coach a group a new players and let them have an extended experience of discovery. It's close to the concept of [Angel] but it introduces RP in the interaction with the new players (or maybe I misunderstood the role of [Angels]).

Of course, I imagine this feature could be abused so probably it would be needed to have a "coach member" status that is approved by admins.
I think it will be cool, as mentioned earlier by someone else, if we can take this a step further and have this "TRIAL" phase be a sort of learning introduction to new players.
Perhaps something that has them learn some things about the game in the process?

I'm just agreeing with this general thought, but pushing for example Penn to be further a dedicated starting system would be an interesting thing just so we can integrate this new change to the server.

Let it serve not just one purpose of hackers out but also educating new players.

I know it is general and I don't exactly know how to do this myself, but the inspiration is handy Smile .

Edit:

A point was made on skype that I think is good to share:

New players are not really keen to automatically set up forum accounts. Some of them might assume to be a member you need to pay, some of them wouldnt want to share their personal information. Some of them just want to fly without the need to make a forum account.

Though... on the flip side of things... new players usually will make a new account when they get sanctioned becasue they didnt read the rules.

EDIT AGAIN

Idea: what about allowing trial players to be able to fly anywhere and able to talk and RP, but they cannot shoot anyone, they cannot dock anywhere besides in Penn, and they cannot purchase anything?

It would be like... you can explore the server and RP with anyone, but you cannot interact besides that.

Probably not the best solution that I came up with, but i think it is better than having new players stuck in penn together and "suffocate" as someone mentioned.
That would be the Nuclear option Alley but that sounds like an option to deal with the troublemakers
I've been away since my move to Wyoming and all I can say is I'm glad your working on the server Alley. Great work. I am truly grateful.
What will happen to shared ships?
>_> so since I am a member I don't have to care about this? How are members determined?
So for any new ship I make it will be trial'd and I have to get it approved? Or is it matched with my accounts and given member positions?
No, you make sure your Launcher gets the token and you're fine, no matter how many ships and accounts you have.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18