Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Commune - (C~
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I refrained from putting my thoughts out here until now for two main reasons. One, I've been back for all of two weeks at this point. And two, I did genuinely enjoy the RP encounter I had with one or two of your folks a couple days after I returned.

But I have to ask, why on god's green earth did you feel the need to create yet another Outcast Nomad cult faction? These exact factions pop up every 18 months or so, occasionally apply for and maybe reach officialdom, then peter out within six months and disappear until the next person who's bored of just running Cardamine and shooting Corsairs reads a throwaway line in the Nomad Lore and decides that another Nomad worshipping cult is just what the Outcasts need.

It never is. It's an entire branch doomed to repeat itself eternally all the while messing with the state of Outcast space. I can't believe I'm saying this but there are a pile of other Nomad and Nomad Cult factions already. What are you doing different from both previous Outcast Nomad cult factions and the existing Nomad and Nomad Cult factions, and what's going to keep you from falling apart in six months?

You're all good RPers and presumably pretty good at the shootmans but I'm really just failing to see why splitting the Outcast base further is necessary here.

At some point you need to stand back instead of just throwing the same thing at the wall and seeing if it sticks, and instead reinvent yourself in a way that'll cement your faction and role in Sirius instead of just securing a place in the halls of "they kept trying but it never really worked out".

But of course, good luck. On all facets.
Thank you for the kind words, and for the honesty. Frankly, it all boils down to the time and effort invested into this faction (and its previous iterations) throughout the years. After a while, you just fall in love with the characters you're playing, and the story you're trying to tell, that just quitting isn't an option that's out there. I think you might sympathize with that, seeing how NO- is back again; A faction I, and presumably many others, recall very well from several years ago.

We have to keep going to the direction we've chosen, as overhauling the faction and its many year long presence on the server isn't an option. Can't go back after the point of no return was crossed.

There are other factions that play a more Outcast-purist angle, now represented by the NC and the Amalfi Directorate, a playebase that is more or less alive and well, and from my point of view - not in any way undermined by us.
Much as I'm really not one to talk in this situation: I gotta agree with Kaz here.

All of the rules line up and say you're all kosher as a faction, your in-game representation is solid and you do a good job with your activity- but I'm honestly seeing little difference in your actual MO than anything the Oracles do with marginal success at best, or anything Cross tried and failed to do. I love commune, I love flying with you guys, and I understand theres a good amount of backstory to what you're doing, but it's the same thing with the "separatist battlegroup" trope that keeps springing up: "religious outcast cult that are outcasts but at the same time aren't" isn't a trope thats represented in any meaningful way in your RP or via any outstandingly different quirk to your base lore.

Take that away and you have a marginally different version of the XTF - only with less PVP competency and more RP (Not a high bar to jump over, I realize.) Speaking from experience here: the religious outcast angle isn't one that sustainably works or is in any way vastly different enough from vanilla outcasts to really justify being considered your own thing. It's fun and leads to some great hilarity wherein you're taunting someone to fight you, only for a Marduk to decloak on their asses, but beyond that, you'd probably be better off retooling yourselves as more standard outcasts, just with more subtle religious leanings, rather than going full cult-status.

Just my opinion. As I said, I love you guys and wish you the best, but I feel your lore and concept isn't one that is sustainable or healthy within/to the server environment.

Best of luck with the vote though, I hope you guys can manage to prove me wrong ~<3
Hello, Sciamach. We are all glad that you entered the scene with the Amalfi Directorate, I personally very much like the angle and theme you coined for the faction. We would like to keep interacting with you, and to do so at a higher level.

Onto the feedback, we understand the position perfectly, and like I said to , that is just the direction we chose to follow. To abandon it wouldn't make sense for several reasons, as any change to the direction you suggested would invalidate the previous lore and storylines we wish to see realized. The parts of the lore that are perhaps left out, or not touched upon enough should be expanded, on that I agree, however at times its hard to squeeze everything relevant into an easily digested form. As it is now, the write-up represents the faction's current (or rather, recent) state, and references to Outcast matters are a bit lacking, as the faction's presence in Maltese affairs was practically nil at the time of its writing. However, goals have shifted, and as we become re-established (and as the situation evolves), the write-up will be modified accordingly.

But lore aside, the purpose of the faction is to bring another facet of the antagonist element to the Sirian playground. I think the biggest issue with "nomad-cults" is the fact that their playerbases gradually become disappointed at meeting opposition from all sides, and at all times. We don't mind that; we never did. That is what our purpose as a faction is; On one end to have fun as players inside of it, and on the other - to give all the heroes someone to hate and shoot at. I think we've been reasonably successful at the first part, and on the second one I can't comment, because it lies somewhat beyond our perception.
I'm not able to write response that I would like, and that would answer all of your doubts. Give me like few hours, and I'll be back.
Alright, I'm back.

I appreciate that you've come here and wrote what you wrote. I like how some people around have actually some good opinions about this group. The criticism is always welcome, positive or negative. Kudos for that.

, it is good to see some old faces back. I remember Natio Octavarium from past, it was some great times. I hope this doesen't gets confusing as I stoned, attempt to explain the whole thing.

The Commune is not a cult. It was never a pure cult, even in some of the first shapes, as Samarran Raiders for example. It was more like a radical religious group, acting through the means of terrorism, for their religious and ideological goals. After the end of the Raiders, Commune evolved with the time, into an organization, that is aware of what Nomads are, and what they technologically represent.

And what were their religious and ideological goals? To begin to spread what some of them experienced on Samarra. It is required to note that the people on that planet were basically, reversed centuries back in the means of technology. The planet was a desert and it was restricted to resources. The Zoners, that arrived dismantled and used everything they could to form basic settlements. The population grew with centuries and a civil war broke out. Tribes and colonies fighting each other, without flying in space, on the ground. The self-destructive nature of humankind, right?

The Nomads, seeing them as no threat but as a possible useful thing, decide to save them from their own faith by, somehow reaching out certain leaders or important individuals in society through visions and later on infections begun long and careful preaching about unity, an end to all problems and good years to come in peace. The centuries passed and those people now originated from Sirians that arrived there. Samarra formed its own unique shape.

So they talked about how upper beings from skies have contacted them and offered them knowledge, and salvation for the whole colony on the planet. When they encountered the first contact with Nomads, they didn't think of them as that. Nomads used various manners that weren't obvious. It was all made up with no mistake, perfection.

This is how this Samarran religion was born. After the exilement, that was described in the lore, Samarrans met Outcasts, who welcomed them and for years, Samarran fought for the Malta and had been engaged for some time in slavery and Cardamine export.

Trough the years, Samarrans were more and more integrated in the Maltese society. But, after certain political changes, remnants of Samarran Raiders, the Commune were forced to establish themselves somewhere else in Sirius. Dave Synk, an ex Order scientist joined Nomak and Hussaini later on and he was one who was responsible to give true knowledge about Nomads. He had been always interested in humans, evolving in affection from the Nomads and this is the vision that united them.

As the Commune grew, Dave Synk and Bassam Hussaini were placed as leaders of Terminus and Silver Sun. Terminus is R&D division and Silver Sun is intelligence division. The third is Raiders, and Nomak is dedicated to this division, but he is also considered as Overlord, the top leader of the faction, while Hussaini and Synk are second and third.

So I wouldn't call it a cult. A pure example of a cult would be Oracles. Their story is totally different, as well as their goals. They do not act as a terrorist organization, they preach. They do not organise raids and guerilla attacks, nor they pirate.

But why Outcasts anyway?

We were thinking about our problem, which was the ID. After the Samarran Raiders, we came back with Commune, a step off from the first version. We wished this to be more radical, and this required us to use nongeneric ID (we used Pirate ID) that had specific restrictions that were contrary to what we really needed to do in the game. What other to use than Outcast?

Samarran Raiders, were for a long time part of Maltese society. They used their technology, they used their bases and they fought for Maltese. This was making the most sense, as Commune would continue to support Malta, as it did until then while, striving for its own goal. Spreading the ideology of Samarra.

Considering that this would require a lot of time, and maybe even generations, the Commune decided that their option is to act as an unlawful organization, relying on terrorism, piracy and supporting revolutionary groups within houses. This is where they come to participate in joint operations with the Wild divisions, as they attack Navies in order to weaken them while on another side, organizing raids on import and export of the houses, where it is required.

As the gratitude to Maltese, as mentioned above, the Commune shares a deep connection with them and at the moment considers the current situation on Malta as not pleasing. They aim onto gaining influence between the local dons in order to restore the nation to its previous state. They Commune sees good ally and use of them, as one of their goals include an attempt to make way for Samarra. If that wouldn't be the case, the Commune would establish itself somewhere in Sirius.

I hope this answers your doubts about the difference.

edit: Oh and I forgot one important detail. Hussaini was infected on Samarra. He evolved into a hybrid of human and nomad unified being. Regardless of him, being what he is, he (as being cut off from the mind share) develops his own kind of personality. He at the same time has both, his human and his nomad nature. Thus, this creates situation where, Hussaini, as what he is, on the one side knows what he is but, on the other as human, he has beliefs. This contributes to him, believing in Nomak's leadership and his loyality to Commune while also, enforcing this vision that is, the initial plan of the Nomads from Samarra.

edit 2: This brings you the whole picuture. Non infected people of the Commune are aware of who Hussaini is. They know about Nomads and what are the Wild. The Commune also has other infected individuals, that are known, like Paladin, that was transferred from Division 9.

edit3: Dave Synk, with his previous knowledge from Order, and with unique wish for evolution, as Commune now has all the knowledge he needs. Thus, NGM or Neural Gestalt Matrix was created, and it is Commune's own, artificial mindshare implant that works on memories, as thoughts being interpreted trough pictures. We use it for current message dump but we also plan, to alter that completely, as it is in stages of developing.

So, the Commune is your example of direct human- Nomad co- existence and the mutual contribution to the goal trough all possible ways. I don't think you had any other group similar to this.
PvP encounters are great (Cali, NY, Omicron Delta, Omicron Gamma etc.) You're doing a good Job at balancing even if you are facing opponents that are better than you, aka sending people in when you see one of your mate is dying or close to get blued.

RP, well, since I'm not the biggest rper I can't say much about that, but what I read from time to time is nice.

All in all, I wish you good luck and hope that you will get official again.
That, that you do not RP like me doesn't make you any lower than me. I always considered RM groups very serious, organized and on the level.

I am happy that you are one of the people that, realizes the most important aspect of our gameplay- the in-game happenings.

I hope that we will be able to help each other as inactivity generators. You know, like events and stuff.

Cheers.
(04-11-2018, 07:40 PM)PRJKTLRD Wrote: [ -> ]Do not consider this anything negative. Last time, we waited for 4 months, instead of two to get our announcement instead of written two months, as you stated in the rules.

This resulted in people, starting to believe you do not value our hard work enough, and we really had some awesome projects in past. Like Terminus cell had 5 active members and each of them had their own project ongoing.

But those same people lost motivation and their activity dropped, due to the waiting. They felt they were doing all this hard work (i mean, Commune became their primary faction then) for nothing. And then, when our activity dropped, you decided to give us green light but, all that for nothing. It didn't helped.

The group died in next 30 days because people already left the faction. Soon afterward I decided to leave too.

(04-11-2018, 08:20 PM)Chrysalis Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the kind words, and for the honesty. Frankly, it all boils down to the time and effort invested into this faction (and its previous iterations) throughout the years. After a while, you just fall in love with the characters you're playing, and the story you're trying to tell, that just quitting isn't an option that's out there. I think you might sympathize with that, seeing how NO- is back again; A faction I, and presumably many others, recall very well from several years ago.

These points are based on me as a Player and not as an Admin (hence no green text).

Looking at the quotes, above, I cannot understand how a Faction gets demotivated if they don't become Official or if it takes a bit longer than you want.

If you like your RP and the Members enjoy their Roles and playing the Game, with these Characters, why would they get demotivated?

I play Characters because I enjoy the Characters, not because they are in an Official Faction. My longest played Characters are not even in Official Factions and will never be.

Granted, achieving Officialdom can be the pinnacle of achievement (if that is what floats your boat), but the strength of a Faction should not be in whether it achieves this pinnacle, but in the strength of its Players and their continuing 'want' to play those Characters.

Over the years, I have seen many Factions achieve Officialdom, who then slowly but surely fade in to obscurity. They appear to 'rush' in to Officialdom (activity is great up to achieving it and for a short period afterwards and then fades).

It almost appears to be that the goal is to achieve Officialdom and not to have a lasting Group, which, to me, is the wrong way to look at things.

Anyway, I wish you good luck.

And if you don't achieve the 'pinnacle', don't give up.
(04-12-2018, 12:44 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2018, 07:40 PM)PRJKTLRD Wrote: [ -> ]Do not consider this anything negative. Last time, we waited for 4 months, instead of two to get our announcement instead of written two months, as you stated in the rules.

This resulted in people, starting to believe you do not value our hard work enough, and we really had some awesome projects in past. Like Terminus cell had 5 active members and each of them had their own project ongoing.

But those same people lost motivation and their activity dropped, due to the waiting. They felt they were doing all this hard work (i mean, Commune became their primary faction then) for nothing. And then, when our activity dropped, you decided to give us green light but, all that for nothing. It didn't helped.

The group died in next 30 days because people already left the faction. Soon afterward I decided to leave too.

(04-11-2018, 08:20 PM)Chrysalis Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the kind words, and for the honesty. Frankly, it all boils down to the time and effort invested into this faction (and its previous iterations) throughout the years. After a while, you just fall in love with the characters you're playing, and the story you're trying to tell, that just quitting isn't an option that's out there. I think you might sympathize with that, seeing how NO- is back again; A faction I, and presumably many others, recall very well from several years ago.

These points are based on me as a Player and not as an Admin (hence no green text).

Looking at the quotes, above, I cannot understand how a Faction gets demotivated if they don't become Official or if it takes a bit longer than you want.

If you like your RP and the Members enjoy their Roles and playing the Game, with these Characters, why would they get demotivated?

I play Characters because I enjoy the Characters, not because they are in an Official Faction. My longest played Characters are not even in Official Factions and will never be.

Granted, achieving Officialdom can be the pinnacle of achievement (if that is what floats your boat), but the strength of a Faction should not be in whether it achieves this pinnacle, but in the strength of its Players and their continuing 'want' to play those Characters.

Over the years, I have seen many Factions achieve Officialdom, who then slowly but surely fade in to obscurity. They appear to 'rush' in to Officialdom (activity is great up to achieving it and for a short period afterwards and then fades).

It almost appears to be that the goal is to achieve Officialdom and not to have a lasting Group, which, to me, is the wrong way to look at things.

Anyway, I wish you good luck.

And if you don't achieve the 'pinnacle', don't give up.

Hey man, it's always good to see a member, that is also an admin, giving his honest opinion on something and out of his experience. And you hit the bull's eye there with some points.

Last time we've made a mistake because we launched pretty high leveled RP projects and we didn't wait for official status and then do them. It included custom battleship, a gun derived directly from the hybrid technology, the prototype engines based on an Azurite and many more.

When I made that bump above to an admin team, however, I didn't speak of any demotivation currently in the Commune. I noted how opposite actually happens, and how it went over what I initially thought it would be like.

It wasn't either my initial plan to come back to Commune. It was the members, that remained after the last loss of the officialdom and our inactivity. But those weren't any of the high RP project guys. Those guys were the ones who got demotivated, and we simply, without any RP projects, didn't see our existence any... meaningful.

But after maybe half of the year, I was being constantly bumped on skype by those, who remained. The Skype chat was still alive, but silent. Those guys were mainly players whose characters were soldiers, not scientists or diplomats. And with them, asking to last time try out, we rebooted.

We've carefully inspected all aspects of our group that needed to be fixed, and we went straight onto that. The first reason is that we, the leadership or the HC, abandoned our own, unique ways of functioning and maintaining as we believed that was the correct thing, to generalize with any other faction. But, we got over-clogged with the RP projects, unfinished and pilled up, with seeing no end in those.

So this was all considered, discussed before we even decided to reboot. It took us like, a month of setting up. We agreed that it was best to begin with light stuff, casual loging in the game and acting as a "outcasts", using the political change on Malta.

With the time, as we saw that there was certain bump of activity generally, like other people showing up once again and other factions too, we decided to tag up again and begin diplomatic talks with whoever we could.

As we set up the official request, after two months of casually flying around, some events begun happening, like few skirmishes with Colonial Remnant or Crayter. Kudos to those guys. We also saw Nomad factions, like K'Hara and Vagrants, starting to be active again.

Iseijin and Das Wilde begun to log too. We often are seen with them in joint raids. So because of this, I am mostly glad. I feel like our faction is contributor to the activity of the others, allied or not. People like to shoot together with us, and people like to shoot us.

So instead of going maximum effort at first moment, like last time and then burning out, we've this time instead decided to go slowly, step by step and eventually, when we would reach out official status, we would then, get onto those RP projects too, since we expect them to not only, be on the forums but also, maybe even someday find themselves in the game. And this plan is going pretty well.

You see, we have more activity than ever before, and just in three months. It raised slowly, with the time. Nobody feels burnt out but rather, feels motivated more than ever. Everyone wishes that official request, because it would this time be our jumping point, where we would again begin our serious high RP projects, unlike last time when we simply burned out before even reaching the official status.

One of the reasons for that burn out was, because people were instantly dedicated with high RP projects but they didn't spend any time in the Commune before. It was like being dropped in the lion's pit. This time, with this gradual build up, people are trough their work naturally showing off their capabilities and specialisations or wishes, which will later on determine what they would do.

edit: Basically, my bump to admin team wasn't any... note of any demotivation. It was just expressing my fear, and what happened last time. This time, things are different and I just wanted to bring that out.

edit 2: There was a lot of people, that remained withnin Commune, like me too, who didn't find any other joy to play on other sides because, we simply "let our roots here" with this group. People in it evolved from newbs to solid players, just like me years ago. In previous times, it was always me who pushed the faction forward but this time, it is different. It was their wish, not mine but as I realized the whole picture, I returned.

It was like a filter. Those who didn't found their place for Commune, or weren't for this group simply dissappeared. Those who were for this group remained, and now, we've found ourselves with complete membership, that only consists of those, caring for the group and pushing it forward, unlike previous times when we had that other side too, and we had high expectations from them but they weren't capable to reach those expectations.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8