Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Nomad BS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(10-03-2018, 06:26 PM)Foxglove Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think about his argument, though? How is that not correct?

I said this earlier, I will say it again.

My -personal- preference would not be to see Indie Nomad Battleships due to the RP difference, of how people Roleplay Humans, AI and Nomads.

Would not like to see "Terrorist ID" battleship handed over to indies who don't want to join a faction instead to earn one.
inb4: ***..Hi..*** , ***..ENGAGING..***

And the Arbiter argument is not really valid here, due to massive differences to Nomad and Human RP.
I was of that opinion before, but seeing how people seem to be able to work with Irra and Siris, I'd at least give it a try.
(10-03-2018, 06:22 PM)Tenacity Wrote: [ -> ]Why is this not surprising coming from the guy who's tagline is "pvp = rp"?

[Image: 6khL4kL.jpg]

Straight to ad hominem without even reading the text, I love it. Apart from that being satire originally, I'm more than happy to try and educate your views on the game predating the stone age ("back in my day, Keepers were all about "RP"!!! We didn't "PvP" or fly caps or anything else nor did we actually understand how nomads work but it's fine because we said so!!!11").

Let's be serious for half a second. RP = Roleplay = Playing your role = shooting enemies when the situation demands so = PvP. It's a fact that it's form of roleplay no matter how hard you try to deny it. It's not the only form of roleplay but it's undoubtedly the simplest, rawest and often most accurate form of playing your role. Just just because you enjoy drinking tea with the enemy doesn't change the fact that it is a form of roleplay. Whether or not you acknowledge it is none of my concern, but then your definition of roleplay is flawed in its basic meaning and you should keep your opinion to yourself instead of trying to educate others.

And that's without me getting into the laughable views of certain people how for some reason performing combat in a space combat simulator is looked down upon. Yeah sure, let's all just type words and turn Freelancer into Facebook chat simulator if nothing but writing walls of text is "acceptable". Jesus Christ.
(10-03-2018, 06:33 PM)VÆX Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2018, 06:26 PM)Foxglove Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think about his argument, though? How is that not correct?

I said this earlier, I will say it again.

My -personal- preference would not be to see Indie Nomad Battleships due to the RP difference, of how people Roleplay Humans, AI and Nomads.

Would not like to see "Terrorist ID" battleship handed over to indies who don't want to join a faction instead to earn one.
inb4: ***..Hi..*** , ***..ENGAGING..***

And the Arbiter argument is not really valid here, due to massive differences to Nomad and Human RP.

You can already be a terrorist in a cruiser or a battlecruiser which is more than enough to murder any transport you see (that's the only difference between the Nomad and Outcast, Corsair or other pirate IDs - shooting transports on the spot. All other ship classes can be engaged by humans as well without a demand). Not only that, but a battlecruiser has a CD so he can do it alone instead of grouping up with others and encouraging group activity.

As for the Nomad RP, while it -can- be different it doesn't mean it must be. A lot of players don't like it and simply stick to "The ship begins to glow", "The Light will make you perish" and stuff like that - talking in human language to make it easier to understand and write. Vagrants for instance barely, if at all, use the original nomspeak.
And to me that just shows laziness. From what I gather, the only reason the vagrants even exist is because foxglove wanted to nom around without following the keepers/khara rules or restrictions. He threw a fit and went off to start his own faction as an act of defiance against all those who had put in the work before him.

This is an epidemic in disco, I've seen it in many factions over the past ten years: people want their cake and they want to eat it too, and they throw a temper tantrum every time they're told no.

I put -years- of work into settling the constant bickering and disputes between indy and official order players, and as soon as I left it all fell apart again.

The defining trait of an indy is that they refuse to acknowledge that someone else has more authority than they do. It always leads to power/meta gaming, and usually from there to renegade characters and civil wars.
I'll correct Antonio on the Vagrant speech while leaving Tenacity continue with the trashtalk:

The idea behind the Vagrant speech is to both signal an inRP noticable difference in communication and ooRPly to get away from spamming a weird amount of symbols. While there is a certain structure to the K'Hara speech, and I usually link here to Scourge's tutorial post, we've been aiming for making communication not more complicated than it needs to be. That means the Vagrant speech does work like human speech, however with a nomad-ish nomenclature for everything that is named by mankind. They say Omicron Delta, but the nomads don't have a greek alphabet, so the Vagrants say Void of Creation - because of the Azurite Reactor. Every system, region and faction as well as certain terms have a Vagrant version, all following a pattern with the idea of having interested people from outside the faction trying to decypher it.

Since we also like to reduce the communication to a realistically and non-memetic level, some of us use descriptive texts like *The Nomad approaches the human ship.* or *[Nomad name] begins to glow.* which is practically our way of dropping engagement lines like "Powering up weapons!" or "Spoted bomad, engabung !!1". The actual communication theme relies on metaphorical terms, just like K'Hara often does, plus Vagrant nomenclature. "Fury. The Darkling is not welcome to the Void of Creation." for example states in the very beginning the emotional state of the nomad followed by the actual message.

So far people didn't have serious complaints about the comm pattern. If you don't like it, that's your opinion, however it is not as mindless and lazy as you color it. Not directed at Antonio, the latter.
To me that takes away from the intrigue of the nomad encounter. They're supposed to be vastly different in mind, body, and experience than humans, they are a completely different life form. Making them easy to understand detracts from the entire situation.
(10-03-2018, 07:14 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]we also like to reduce the communication to a realistically and non-memetic level, some of us use descriptive texts like *The Nomad approaches the human ship.* or *[Nomad name] begins to glow.* which is practically our way of dropping engagement lines like "Powering up weapons!" or "Spoted bomad, engabung !!1".

(10-03-2018, 08:08 PM)Tenacity Wrote: [ -> ]To me that takes away from the intrigue of the nomad encounter. They're supposed to be vastly different in mind, body, and experience than humans, they are a completely different life form. Making them easy to understand detracts from the entire situation.

Describing what the nomad you are playing is doing is probably the type of nomad roleplay I enjoyed the most and it also felt like the biggest challenge in terms of creativity when I tried doing it myself at one point (especially when trying to provide more than 2 repetitive /setmsg lines for the engagement rule). I think it makes the aliens feel the most alien to humanity and also avoids hitting that note of sorta powergame-y feeling that the Nomads can just mindprobe you and get inside your brain while still being couple of klicks away from you and separated by the cold vacuum of space. The nomads trying to induce horrific visions and such (especially when some did it using the system chat) has been probably the kind of Nomad roleplay I enjoyed the least and quite often chose to simply ignore. Personally I'd want all non-incubi aliens to be the silent guardians of Sirius that they used to be. Each has their own personal idea as to what nomads should be.
(10-03-2018, 08:08 PM)Tenacity Wrote: [ -> ]To me that takes away from the intrigue of the nomad encounter. They're supposed to be vastly different in mind, body, and experience than humans, they are a completely different life form. Making them easy to understand detracts from the entire situation.

With this I couldn't agree more.

(10-03-2018, 07:14 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]The idea behind the Vagrant speech is to both signal an inRP noticable difference in communication and ooRPly to get away from spamming a weird amount of symbols.

About this though, a K'Hara (Be it Ex-Keeper, or just an enthusiast in K'Hara) knows, that if a player doesn't understand the Nomadic form of broken English, we still have Visions, that has free speech in it, and by Nomad actually seeing through humans telepathically , they can link their focus to their own English vocabulary and talk freely.
Although the latter is done only to less-knowledgeable players, or ones that end up confused with the interpretations, as we mostly talk in synonyms like you pointed out.

To those still confused, I have made this first-stop Nomad RP guide just for that: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=160678
The reason why some nomad ships were or are restricted is, bluntly put, greed paired with an almost pathological desire to feel more deserving and better than others.

While greed and the desire for superiority can be a driving factor for creating excellence and lead to very positive results, especially in a game, it does the opposite when instead of working on perfecting yourself and allowing everyone to do the same, you sabotage others by restricting ships and you stifle their creativity by dictating your idea of RP to them.

"Don't think for yourself, conform, and submit." is what many people are constantly telling others to do here. To the point where someone wanting to be creatively free just like the people who wrote lore before were, or someone suggesting an improvement on something, or someone questioning if the doctrines put in place at server pop 200 are still wise at server pop 50, is considered someone committing an "act of defiance" against the people who wrote the original. People who, in most cases, aren't even here anymore. If those same people arrived for the first time now, where they can follow other people's RP but not create their own, they wouldn't want to play under these conditions either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9