Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Nomad BS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Nomads should not be playable.
(10-03-2018, 08:52 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]The reason why some nomad ships were or are restricted is, bluntly put, greed paired with an almost pathological desire to feel more deserving and better than others.

While greed and the desire for superiority can be a driving factor for creating excellence and lead to very positive results, especially in a game, it does the opposite when instead of working on perfecting yourself and allowing everyone to do the same, you sabotage others by restricting ships and you stifle their creativity by dictating your idea of RP to them.

"Don't think for yourself, conform, and submit." is what many people are constantly telling others to do here. To the point where someone wanting to be creatively free just like the people who wrote lore before were, or someone suggesting an improvement on something, or someone questioning if the doctrines put in place at server pop 200 are still wise at server pop 50, is considered someone committing an "act of defiance" against the people who wrote the original. People who, in most cases, aren't even here anymore. If those same people arrived for the first time now, where they can follow other people's RP but not create their own, they wouldn't want to play under these conditions either.

Oh well, Karlotta in the house. Do you like, ever agree to anybody? Or you are just in the forums to argue with everybody about everything?

(10-03-2018, 08:56 PM)Jayce Wrote: [ -> ]Nomads should not be playable.

Not relevant.
(10-03-2018, 08:52 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]The reason why some nomad ships were or are restricted is, bluntly put, greed paired with an almost pathological desire to feel more deserving and better than others.

While greed and the desire for superiority can be a driving factor for creating excellence and lead to very positive results, especially in a game, it does the opposite when instead of working on perfecting yourself and allowing everyone to do the same, you sabotage others by restricting ships and you stifle their creativity by dictating your idea of RP to them.

"Don't think for yourself, conform, and submit." is what many people are constantly telling others to do here. To the point where someone wanting to be creatively free just like the people who wrote lore before were, or someone suggesting an improvement on something, or someone questioning if the doctrines put in place at server pop 200 are still wise at server pop 50, is considered someone committing an "act of defiance" against the people who wrote the original. People who, in most cases, aren't even here anymore. If those same people arrived for the first time now, where they can follow other people's RP but not create their own, they wouldn't want to play under these conditions either.

The original nomad lore document left quite a bit open to interpretation and plenty of free room for creativity. Trying to use that as an argument here is pointless anyways: you don't need a battleship to Express your creativity, and if you do its probably the kind of "creativity" nobody on this server wants.

What the keepers and khara factions want(ed) was to create a rough framework for how nomads should act and speak, and then let their members start from that and build their own personalities and mannerisms. The second someone came along and thought that was too "hard", they ran off to make their own cool kids club so they could feel important after getting kicked out of the other group.

I may not have been around for the creation of the vagrants, but I was here when we first started allowing indy nomads in morphs as a way of trying out for the keepers, and I can tell you that half of them simply didn't want to put the effort in to play the role properly - hell, most refused to even spend an hour reading the lore document.

Opening up nomads to everyone was a terrible idea from the start, and the vagrants were born out of that disaster.
(10-03-2018, 09:00 PM)VÆX Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh well, Karlotta in the house. Do you like, ever agree to anybody? Or you are just in the forums to argue with everybody about everything?

I'm desperately trying to help you poor people solve the problems you've been unsuccessfully trying to solve (but rather keep creating them yourselves) for a decade.

I also have the impression that those who keep using the "your opinion" meme to avoid addressing arguments (not just you, I can think of 2 more people) don't realize that the Dude, just like pretty much every other character in The Big Lebowski, is a complete moron.

(10-03-2018, 09:09 PM)Tenacity Wrote: [ -> ]The second someone came along and thought that was too "hard"

How about this: Many people don't find mimicking/repeating K'Hara/Keeper/Vagrant RP particularly hard. But they still don't do it because they find it stupid and boring.
I swear this is the first time I have ever actually agreed with Karlotta on something.
Quote:How about this: Many people don't find mimicking/repeating K'Hara/Keeper/Vagrant RP particularly hard. But they still don't do it because they find it stupid and boring.

In that case they obviously shouldn't be trying to play a nomad in the first place.
This has to be the stupidest thing you've ever said.
(10-03-2018, 09:46 PM)Small Might Wrote: [ -> ]I swear this is the first time I have ever actually agreed with Karlotta on something.
(10-03-2018, 09:49 PM)Small Might Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be the stupidest thing you've ever said.

This is an Admin.
(10-03-2018, 09:50 PM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2018, 09:46 PM)Small Might Wrote: [ -> ]I swear this is the first time I have ever actually agreed with Karlotta on something.
(10-03-2018, 09:49 PM)Small Might Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be the stupidest thing you've ever said.

This is an Admin.

The color of my name doesn't change facts. I agree with Karlottas statement about people not wanting to role play the same way as the factions. I can name multiple factions which have sprung up and contributed healthily to the server because they wanted to be different from the existing factions.

Additionally, I think it is incredibly stupid to say people shouldn't play an ID if they're not going to copy the official factions.
And I think you're incredibly narrow minded if you believe nomads are in any way similar to human factions.

Humans are individuals. Various groups with differing ideologies and goals pop up and that's fine. Nomads are a collective, a hive mind - there are no true individuals and various groups within them working against one another is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9