Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ganks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
It's called a wide target selection.
OP:

Quote:Say I'm in the Liberty Navy and I'm flying around with 2 buddies. Your Xeno group of 6 comes up and we all role play and shooting breaks out. The Xeno chaps are cool and instead of using all six of them to kill the three of us, they send in three ships. Cool. They were nice enough to give us a somewhat even playing field even though it is rather out of role play to do so.

Since when is discretionary action out of roleplay? If I have six ships and decide I want to use all of them to crush two or three ships, that's perfectly in character. If I have six ships and decide to only use three of them at first, that also, is perfectly in character. It depends on who your character is, who they work for and what their personality is like.

..Just saying.

(unless, you know, it's an oorp gankfest or something)

Quote:We manage to kill the three Xenos who engaged us and we decide to attack the other three who didn't move an inch to help their friends. They didn't engage because the fight was 3v3 and they are cool chaps. We kill the other three even as they try to run.

Ya know what? My navy buds and I were flat out arseholes. We should have let those last 3 go about their business until the next time we ran into them. They were nice enough to not gank us, which was out of role play for them, yet we weren't nice enough to set aside role play for their enjoyment.

Ya ya ya. I know. It doesn't always happen this way, but I'm damn sure that when people are kind enough to stay out and not engage, they end up getting shot at when their buds are finished off.

I guess what I am getting at is remember the Golden rule. Treat others as you would have them treat you. If they set aside RP for your benefit, do the same for them.

I think you have the wrong idea here. You do not have to set aside roleplay, to allow your enemy to withdraw from the field. Not everyone makes decisions the same way, not everyone's characters who belong to the same faction are all alike.

Just because one person would decide to "Take no prisoners" when it comes to dealing with their enemies, doesn't mean that all of them are like that. And just because one person lets their enemy go one time, doesn't mean they will every time.

Again it all comes back to discretion, and discretionary actions.

Neither sparing nor killing the last three enemies is in anyway oorp

There's a difference between being a jerk inRP and say, maliciously hunting somebodies characters in game with overwhelming force because of OOC animosity or some such.
If you have have people stay on the sidelines because you want a fair fight, you should be summarily executed. Fair fights with people on the sideline usually mean only one thing: You aren't doing it right.
' Wrote:If I have six ships and decide to only use three of them at first, that also, is perfectly in character.
shyeah, if your character likes watching teammates get killed. Let me know who you are, so I can stay off your wing
' Wrote:yeah, if your character likes watching teammates get killed
Bingo!
It really depends ,
after all we are playing a game , and games are meant to be fun.
I am of the opinion that if you attack first , you shouldn't whine about a gank.
If you step into a hornets nest you gotta face the consequences.
' Wrote:shyeah, if your character likes watching teammates get killed. Let me know who you are, so I can stay off your wing

You can analyse the enemies' movement and fighting skills. Get your cannonfodder in, check how they doing and if the lamb dies, the wolves start their attacks. Sharks and blood, that sort of thing.
Ganks are fine and completely in RP.

I'm sure the Taliban was complaining about being 'ganked' by the US Millitary and all of our glorious B-2's

Same deal.
' Wrote:OP:
Since when is discretionary action out of roleplay? If I have six ships and decide I want to use all of them to crush two or three ships, that's perfectly in character. If I have six ships and decide to only use three of them at first, that also, is perfectly in character. It depends on who your character is, who they work for and what their personality is like.

..Just saying.

(unless, you know, it's an oorp gankfest or something)

It might be in character for a character that doesn't know how to do their job and is about to get fired. I can promise you with 100% certainty that if I had told my platoon leader that my squad was going to stand down because he already had three other squads shooting at our enemy, he would have had me replaced in a matter of minutes.

Discretionary action is great, but doesn't really apply to our in game interactions. In a fight where you life is on the line, you're going to use every weapon at your disposal to stay alive. This means using those six ships to kill a mere three.

I think you are confusing role play with fair play.

Quote:I think you have the wrong idea here. You do not have to set aside roleplay, to allow your enemy to withdraw from the field. Not everyone makes decisions the same way, not everyone's characters who belong to the same faction are all alike.

Just because one person would decide to "Take no prisoners" when it comes to dealing with their enemies, doesn't mean that all of them are like that. And just because one person lets their enemy go one time, doesn't mean they will every time.

I don't have the wrong idea, you just have a differing understanding of what I said. My point was, we should have let them go. Be it because our characters would have done it or because we as players shouldn't have been arses (and set our character's role play aside for that moment).

Quote:Neither sparing nor killing the last three enemies is in anyway oorp

That is a false statement. It fully depends on your characters role play.

My main point and one I'm not sure I got across is that we all (myself included) need to conform to the Golden Rule a bit more here in our community. We all treat one another like dirt (Yes, I am guilty of it).

Not sure why that KSP thread brought that up in my mind though.
' Wrote:shyeah, if your character likes watching teammates get killed. Let me know who you are, so I can stay off your wing

Ursus please. Don't partially quote me.

What I said was that killing them OR sparing them were valid options.

I never said which was my preference.

And Daedric, I agree about the Golden rule and all that, but personally, say, my [LN] for example, wouldn't be letting any Xenos go if they'd initiated hostilities.

Also all of what I said in my original post was geared toward the specific circumstance you used in yours.

In short, basically, If I was playing one of my Navy or Military characters, any enemies who stood against us would be killed if I could help it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8