Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Is our time worth being spent here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(02-05-2020, 01:24 PM)Shiki Wrote: [ -> ]i am just going to cringe in the corner

NC-17 RP when?
(02-05-2020, 01:44 PM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 01:34 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Been there, done that, realized I utterly wasted my time and I'm never getting it back. Even if you learn stuff and put yourself forward to help with the workload you either get ignored or disappointed, and it's not worth it.
Well then I guess you've failed. Being ignored at first and then being disappointed was the least of troubles I had to deal with. Not that it should be normal experience, but then so are many other things not even related to individual personalities that were around. Some people were annoying to deal with, sure, but it is technical issues that often were much severe blocks.

I think I could easily have ended up being high up in the Staff if I acted slimier and backstabbed my friends. People aren't praised, rewarded or treated based on their own merits, skillset, and motivation, but instead whether or not they have the right connections or how far they're willing to drop into the pit to get what they want. I suppose you could say I failed; I didn't game the system and tried doing things honestly, and it achieved nothing.
(02-05-2020, 01:55 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I think I could easily have ended up being high up in the Staff if I acted slimier and backstabbed my friends. People aren't praised, rewarded or treated based on their own merits, skillset, and motivation, but instead whether or not they have the right connections or how far they're willing to drop into the pit to get what they want. I suppose you could say I failed; I didn't game the system and tried doing things honestly, and it achieved nothing.

Some of us are just enjoying ourselves. We're also getting really tired that we're being insinuated that us having fun is because we're schmoozing.

People are having fun playing this game, Lythrilux. Accept that your experience isn't everyone, that you are not a cipher for everyone.

Your own critique and experience is valid, but it doesn't invalidate ours. It expecially doesn't make those of us who are having fun here 'dishonest'. In the words of Commander Shepard, I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions.

It's especially mean to the new players who don't worry about any of this.
(02-05-2020, 01:57 PM)Riehl Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 01:55 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I think I could easily have ended up being high up in the Staff if I acted slimier and backstabbed my friends. People aren't praised, rewarded or treated based on their own merits, skillset, and motivation, but instead whether or not they have the right connections or how far they're willing to drop into the pit to get what they want. I suppose you could say I failed; I didn't game the system and tried doing things honestly, and it achieved nothing.

Some of us are just enjoying ourselves. We're also getting really tired that we're being insinuated that us having fun is because we're schmoozing.

People are having fun playing this game, Lythrilux. Accept that your experience isn't everyone, that you are not a cipher for everyone.

Your own critique and experience is valid, but it doesn't invalidate ours. It expecially doesn't make those of us who are having fun here 'dishonest'. In the words of Commander Shepard, I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions.

It's especially mean to the new players who don't worry about any of this.

Just because you're having fun doesn't mean others are. Just because everything is perfect for you, doesn't mean it is for others. I can't help but feel the lackadaisical, "everything is great! Smile", attitude only helps to further indoctrinate the place into thinking nothing needs to change and things are fine. The game is bleeding players every month, the new player retention has slowed to a crawl, and many factions have nothing to do. If you and UN| are doing great, that's awesome. But there are many cases for other people where that is simply not true. Head-in-the-sand mentality is the absolute worst thing about Discovery ever.
(02-05-2020, 01:55 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 01:34 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Been there, done that, realized I utterly wasted my time and I'm never getting it back. Even if you learn stuff and put yourself forward to help with the workload you either get ignored or disappointed, and it's not worth it.
Well then I guess you've failed. Being ignored at first and then being disappointed was the least of troubles I had to deal with. Not that it should be normal experience, but then so are many other things not even related to individual personalities that were around. Some people were annoying to deal with, sure, but it is technical issues that often were much severe blocks.

I think I could easily have ended up being high up in the Staff if I acted slimier and backstabbed my friends. People aren't praised, rewarded or treated based on their own merits, skillset, and motivation, but instead whether or not they have the right connections or how far they're willing to drop into the pit to get what they want. I suppose you could say I failed; I didn't game the system and tried doing things honestly, and it achieved nothing.

I think I did without the acts you've mentioned, nor was there a pit to lunge myself into. Unless you'd like to accuse me of something? Which friends were you asked to backstab? Because I'm thinking you've made up expectations there and with all your posting activity and discussion engagement perhaps thought it would have given weight to your voice but it just did not and there wasn't much value in loudness.
(02-05-2020, 02:12 PM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ]

I think I did without the acts you've mentioned, nor was there a pit to lunge myself into. Unless you'd like to accuse me of something? Which friends were you asked to backstab? Because I'm thinking you've made up expectations there and with all your posting activity and discussion engagement perhaps thought it would have given weight to your voice but it just did not and there wasn't much value in loudness.

I was thinking of putting in brackets "not trying to accuse anyone of anything" but decided against it since I thought it would be obvious and you would ascertain for yourself that you were an exception. There have always been individuals or groups of individuals, that for any number of vague reasons have not been well-liked by the people in charge. If you make the 'mistake' of befriending them, you can bet it will put you at odds with others (plenty of cases for this, Disco is very tribalistic). Similarly, you have cases where people do a 180 and backstab these people, later finding themselves more influence in the mod (ie Spazzy/TS crew drama, and he later became an admin).
(02-05-2020, 03:55 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]I find it hard to start this so I feel I should just get to the point.

I feel time being spend here is a waste.

Yeah, basically. But that's always been the case. Disillusionment or not, time spent away from here on other activities has always been markedly more worthwhile.

You were in the staff from very early on, and that's why the rest of the staff listened to you without you getting loud. I don't think anyone today seriously thinks things like disco's ***nomad rp*** or the 4.87 omicron system layout were really implemented because they were particularly good or beneficial to the mod, but are there simply because one of the early guys who happened to be in charge long ago thought it was cool.

But these things still persist until today, just like the ridiculously bad organization of the rules, introductions, and guides to disco, not because they are good and can't be improved, but because disco has been run by an army of yes-men who were forced to find everything their predecessors did awesome, and still now nobody dares back down on it because of (real or only perceived) peer pressure.

But yes-men make terrible advisers, terrible designers, people who surround themselves with them make terrible leaders, and the combination of all three is a recipe for pants-on-head level incompetence and problem solving ability.
(02-05-2020, 02:24 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]

I was thinking of putting in brackets "not trying to accuse anyone of anything" but decided against it since I thought it would be obvious and you would ascertain for yourself that you were an exception. There have always been individuals or groups of individuals, that for any number of vague reasons have not been well-liked by the people in charge. If you make the 'mistake' of befriending them, you can bet it will put you at odds with others (plenty of cases for this, Disco is very tribalistic). Similarly, you have cases where people do a 180 and backstab these people, later finding themselves more influence in the mod (ie Spazzy/TS crew drama, and he later became an admin).

Well, that's the thing, Lyth. I don't think I was an exception. As I remember there were a number of other individuals who did contribute well in development, but just beacuse they didn't engage much in public discussions or frequent chats didn't mean they did not exist. At which ratio does exception no longer becomes so? You seem to focus almost entirely on bad apples as if those make up the most. Bad apples have always existed but their relevance and impact has always been as shaky as their entry and about as lasting as their vocal contribution. But often times it is those individuals who were exception rather than norm, it's merely their noise, loudness and public activity made impression of being in majority.
You know what I mostly enjoy doing in Discovery? Modeling ships and little modding that i know about. Is what drives me to stay around in the mod and game. I also enjoy players flying my models in-game that I put work on.

I guess, Kahl, you need to find something that you really enjoy doing and be a part of the community and/or become part of the RP with other player characters instead on trying to get into dev related RP involvements.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8