Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Is our time worth being spent here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Your post is cringe, young lokenwalker.
Why not just play the game D:
wee woo serious post

I enjoy the game only because my friends still play it, there's about a 100% chance I wouldn't touch it anymore if somehow one day everyone I like just decided to abandon it tbh. I also enjoy it because pvp is enjoyable and writing words is relaxing
One thing i know didn't help back in 2014-15 which roughly about 40 or so players left this game for good was some of the crooked things done by devs for certain "groups" back then. I am sure it will be denied it happened by some, but i did happen. But one thing out of the huge list people say killed the game is a lot of nerfing of ships, weapons and even going as far as putting smaller hitboxes on ships to give an advantage in pvp. Certain people cried to their dev buddies on how overpowered a certain faction's ships were and how they should not win in pvp. I cannot remember exactly which ship it was but pretty sure it was a UC gunboat that basically had a hitbox the size of a light fighter. Sure call me crazy, full of s**t or whatever. But i have had stuff that happened years ago confirmed by more than one person that knew it was true. Toss on top of the mess a ton of meta and power gaming. Getting in other factions teamspeak to spy and let others know what they are up to. There has been tons of crooked and very spiteful things done to others in game over the years over stuff like "I don't like so and so, he is in this faction as leader so i must really take out my hate on the whole group of players. Also just some of the really really toxic behavior over dumb things that some people could just move on but didn't and ended up harassing some players right out of the game. Cannot blame the devs fully for killing the game, make sure to look in the mirror and see if you were one of those who may have contributed in even a small way to even making one player give up trying to accomplish anything here by harassment of them, destroying bases they may be trying to build (even within rules and laws). Yeah you may have only made one person quit, but you making one person want to leave and 10-20 others making one person leave the game. It all adds up. So it wasn't the devs, or lack of impacting how the game evolved, or any specific thing that by it's self killed disco. to me it seems like if anyone is to blame it's the community. We are all human, and never going to agree 100% on anything so i feel players impacting the game more would just kill this place off even more. I feel it is too late now to even waste time arguing of the why and who to blame, i don't see anything bringing back tons of active players to a damn near 15-20 year old game and mod. All i can say is stop bickering, stop the hate of others, think before you type. Be good to each other and try to make this a better community of players and it just might help attract newer ones who stay.

(Drops mic and flips the bird to everyone as he walks away)
People developed the game for players to enjoy, you play monopoly to the rules and stipulations, you play counterstrike and call of duty to the specifications done by the people who published it.

Why on Earth do people expect the world to change for them instead of doing what humans are good at; adapting.

Stop complaining because you don't get your way, you aren't Trump. You are all just regular people doing regular things and play a regular computer game.

The only waste of time is the time you regret spending. If you regret being here, then go.
(02-05-2020, 10:01 PM)Altejago Wrote: [ -> ]People developed the game for players to enjoy, you play monopoly to the rules and stipulations, you play counterstrike and call of duty to the specifications done by the people who published it.

Why on Earth do people expect the world to change for them instead of doing what humans are good at; adapting.

Stop complaining because you don't get your way, you aren't Trump. You are all just regular people doing regular things and play a regular computer game.

The only waste of time is the time you regret spending. If you regret being here, then go.

(02-05-2020, 07:43 PM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 07:07 PM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 08:26 AM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps.... You're overly entiteled and should check yourself?

your a real piece of work lol

as for everyone else thank you, you have given me some things to think over.

you're *

Yeah maybe it is time to leave. The Toxicity of this place is another part of the community that I no longer want to put up with.
give me ur au armour that you yoinked during that auction
(02-05-2020, 08:35 PM)Loken Wrote: [ -> ]I have fun playing the game with fun people. I don't need to be granted pixel power or imaginary space empires to feel like my time was worth spending. Sure there are things I'd like to change, but realistically every improvement any one of us would make to the mod would have at least 50 other people up in arms about it.

Back when I used to play here, before 2014, player roleplay was taken into consideration significantly less than it is now. Unless you happened to have friends in the right places you had little to no influence over faction development, and certainly none over the story. People were content to play their characters and enjoy the game for what it was rather than every character being a diplomatic mouthpiece with the sole purpose of working towards some tangible gain for the player or their faction.

Now most of those people are gone, and it feels to me like the players most invested in empire building and playing the long game make up a large proportion of the people who have stuck around. Presumably due to sunk cost.

Edit: I made this longer. Sue me.

I like creating events so other people can have fun. I like writing long-winded RPs that can positively impact gameplay for people. Not necessarily my tribe, but anybody who I run into. I like flying around, blowing stuff up, and being (quite frequently), blown up. I like the thrills and spills. I like trying to set up 5 man smuggling convoys that have hilarious consequences when they run into lawfuls. I like playing larger-than-life characters that let us escape the problems of the real world for the pantomime problems of our interesting universe of scifi caricatures.

I do like having an influence when I have it, but only for the sense of creating a fun product that people like, and trying to help tell stories. Generally, if the server is active the forums get active, people get invested in the grand narratives, and a sense of storytelling dominates.

The bit I don't like is how there's a lot of stunting and negative competition in the community. I'm guilty of it too, sometimes. We all need to think about how what we'll do will make fun memories and a fun, not frustrated, experience, for everyone. 'Winners' or 'Losers' - there are no metrics for that.
I've remade Koeln (I refuse to call it by current name) in its entirety, some Nomicrons, deleted entire Discovery repository by accident, poked Durandal/Alley for months until someone adjusted Thebes for me, stood up and defended Molly's Guard assets (que: current Poole). Even wrote some rumors for Omicron Delta and other places.

I am pretty sure I left my mark here without compromising my own ideals.
I'll be baited.

The game is what you make of it, like everything else in life. If you do your best to make it the best, you'll have some fun. The server is dead, but there are still a few things im doing to make the game fun. I've introduced an offspring to one of my main characters, its changed the pace of that character's story and will continue to do so. I've invested in doing some SRPs having been around for a while now, and having characters with years of lore development both on the forums and ingame. Being around for a while still gives you opportunities, those opportunities are just different.

Branch out, do something different. Making custom weapons was unheard of apparently until I did it with the VENOM.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8