Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Is our time worth being spent here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(02-05-2020, 11:42 PM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 10:01 PM)Altejago Wrote: [ -> ]People developed the game for players to enjoy, you play monopoly to the rules and stipulations, you play counterstrike and call of duty to the specifications done by the people who published it.

Why on Earth do people expect the world to change for them instead of doing what humans are good at; adapting.

Stop complaining because you don't get your way, you aren't Trump. You are all just regular people doing regular things and play a regular computer game.

The only waste of time is the time you regret spending. If you regret being here, then go.

(02-05-2020, 07:43 PM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 07:07 PM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 08:26 AM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps.... You're overly entiteled and should check yourself?

your a real piece of work lol

as for everyone else thank you, you have given me some things to think over.

you're *

Yeah maybe it is time to leave. The Toxicity of this place is another part of the community that I no longer want to put up with.

Well people are not obliged to like you. Even more they have a right to feel quite the opposite feelings. And if you consider disco toxic, you probably haven't played enough online games, because compared to most it's objectively not.
I don't partake in faction activity and forum stuff anymore. I just occasionally log in to pursue roleplay with my long-standing characters. I'm not in any of the discords anymore and I don't make myself available for logging.

I think that's for the best, I still enjoy the rare cool encounters every now and then, but I've thoroughly distanced myself otherwise.
If you still want to sink serious temporal and emotional investment into disco in 2020, do so at your own peril.
In my personal experience the people who use the word toxic are usually quite toxic themselves.
[Image: 26V1oJi.gif]
As long as there are Templars and Light/Med Bombers I will be happy.

Even Battleships/BC combat in moderation adds a bit of variety.

#Unnerf SNAC
#remove repair ships
(02-06-2020, 02:48 AM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]I don't partake in faction activity and forum stuff anymore. I just occasionally log in to pursue roleplay with my long-standing characters. I'm not in any of the discords anymore and I don't make myself available for logging.

I think that's for the best, I still enjoy the rare cool encounters every now and then, but I've thoroughly distanced myself otherwise.
If you still want to sink serious temporal and emotional investment into disco in 2020, do so at your own peril.

Kudos, well said.
(02-05-2020, 03:55 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]Is our time worth being spent here?

Yes, but not for the reasons you think.

I think I've spend around 3 years playing actively and a few more just logging in from time to time. And I've learned 3 quite important skills I still use in real life today.

English is obviously the most important one, before coming to Disco I could barely write and my reading skills were below average aswell. Nowadays I pursue career in science and writing loooong papers in english is much easier with my discovery roleplaying background, where I wrote loooooong RP posts.

Another one in the concept of roleplaying. In the last few years I've been to a number of Star Wars LARP games and again, my time here at discovery helped me to be a better player, both in creating characters, interacting with others and generally enjoying being someone else but myself.

Finally, during the 2013-14, when I actually managed Red Hessian Army, I've learned some leadership skills. How to lead people, how to make compromises, how to delegate responsibilities and how to enjoy all of that. That all, again, applies into several of my real life projects.

For me, Discovery was an excellent school and I don't ever regret hitting the Registration button.
Discovery for many people is a platform where they can improve their English. This is one of the reasons, I suppose, why this project still a thing. Besides, despite all, this is still a nice RP game. In Garry mod RP, GTA RP, any other RP game you have to start from the very zero and mostly your experience are hours you spent there. Here you can start whatever you wish and the only limitations are the trading/farming cash and your own imagination how to develop a character.

No need to make a battleship in wish to be an interesting person/character, just make it live. If your character has emotions and character itself - then you doing well and improving your RP to make it more interesting for you and people who will do RP with you. Otherwise, of course, trying to make something 'great' will be hard, because, remember, one person can't change the world but a group of them can.

I think this is the reason for RCR needs 5 people as a minimum but it's another crux to discuss.
(02-06-2020, 02:48 AM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]I don't partake in faction activity and forum stuff anymore. I just occasionally log in to pursue roleplay with my long-standing characters. I'm not in any of the discords anymore and I don't make myself available for logging.

And this is what is wrong with Discovery Freelancer's community. Even the long-lasting members, right now, are agreeing the mod is dead. Yet they not only do very little to help the mod on the long run but also try to convince other players not to participate into the mod activity as well.

There are games older than Freelancer that still run active several-thousand communities. But keep in mind that Freelancer isn't just classic but THE classic to many people invested into sci-fi. Quite often it was their first adventure with space games. Maybe it's time to rethink approach to the community as a whole and try to find out why Discovery Freelancer had become the Frankenstein's monster in the last years.

Solving that problem is simple, yet nobody has balls to even admit it.

It was done once, yet it had shown true colours of some community members who openly threatened server should their demands not be fulfilled. A lot of ideas that were way better than some weird decisions within the story were just shouted upon as heresy. Members, who had interesting yet unorthodox ideas that could bring some life to Discovery are still lynched upon every time they bring this up.

No wonder this place is stagnated.
What is Disco for me? As already mentioned, this is a platform to improve my English (as you can see, I didn't really get succeed yet), but not only that. Disco was also a platform to find and meet people from all around the world.

What I do here? Just play this game, try to walk my character through Disco timeline, get fun and give fun to other players. The recent derelict event was tended only entertain you, improve exploration RP abilities, maybe zone extension if factions would be interested in it. Okay-okay, that act also gets me a kind of pleasure, now call me selfish.
Usually, I am away from different forum/discord discussions these can trigger another supportless, meaningless and useless drama. I don't prefer House outer and inner politics, I am not skilled in making corporations as well. Being away from disappointments, dramas and toxicity makes me able to play and get fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8