Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Is our time worth being spent here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
My Latif needs a friend to wanderlust across the world. Just in cause if you are interested to try some RP with someone not so well in English as a native speaker like you. (sun)
puke
(02-05-2020, 01:57 PM)Riehl Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 01:55 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I think I could easily have ended up being high up in the Staff if I acted slimier and backstabbed my friends. People aren't praised, rewarded or treated based on their own merits, skillset, and motivation, but instead whether or not they have the right connections or how far they're willing to drop into the pit to get what they want. I suppose you could say I failed; I didn't game the system and tried doing things honestly, and it achieved nothing.

Some of us are just enjoying ourselves. We're also getting really tired that we're being insinuated that us having fun is because we're schmoozing.

People are having fun playing this game, Lythrilux. Accept that your experience isn't everyone, that you are not a cipher for everyone.

Your own critique and experience is valid, but it doesn't invalidate ours. It expecially doesn't make those of us who are having fun here 'dishonest'. In the words of Commander Shepard, I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions.

It's especially mean to the new players who don't worry about any of this.

Well Rhiel you seem to be the only one that still enjoys grinding for NEMP's and using them in their silly little system for launching attacks. I'm envious if you're actually enjoying things still.

But its more like only the oblivious seem to still enjoy the same old grind. Players in their first year are the only ones that still have stuff to do, actual fun stuff to do. What the rest of us need are more things to do, and more IN GAME things to do that actually could have an effect. Imagine if that base you just hit was mortal and the NEMP actually did a good % of damage on it? That would be a real headline. I'm surprised they actually let you launch it and not just say it happened. All just to avoid them losing control, when a system is what we always needed to govern things and ensure activity doesn't stagnate.

I'd have to say I see it as a fact that there is little to nothing to do on the server. No real principles are applied in running the server and that's also why there's nothing to do. The devs have never thought about what gets people online, they seem to think that just the allure of being here to fly a ship will keep a player here forever, and that that experience alone is the only part that matters. Meanwhile a whole world (server) could have many more interactive abilities in game, but it is kept from happening for the benefit of a minority. The problem is easy, we need a trigger in game that gets people online. That 'trigger' is what people would grind around, meaning you grind for ships and equipment and stuff to give you options on how to achieve that 'trigger'. So, like in wars, the reason to be online is the conflict, and you grind around that. They seem to think all there should be to do is is aimlessly grind/explore over and over forever. They won't use the actual game environment as a common world for us to fight over, so in the end they refuse to do anything, and we're left in a dead end cycle.

Firstly, people (other than me) need to start asking/requesting from the devs that they, and us, all adopt a COMMON SYSTEM for RP developments and the management of npc assets in wars/conflicts. The elephant in the room here is that the staff don't believe its worth it, they don't think there's any problems caused by development decisions or how the game is run, so they see no problems and don't want to change anything. We're not angry players to be jerks, we just want a sensible time here. This game and server could have years left, but not as it is now.

Discovery is a dictatorship of a private server. It was taken over by a few and now there will never be any progression of the mod. Why? Because they'd have to take in more people, and share power, and so you see none of their solutions ever involve taking in half a dozen people at a time to knuckle down on adding things to the mod, because they'll never entertain the notion of sharing the mod again.

Which means the mod/server is basically ruined by a small amount of invested parties that put themselves first over the community. Its pretty much the worst case scenario, and its the monkey on the back of the place. Its also the reason for why the server is so 'constipated'...figuratively.

We need a common system that outlines what can and can't happen, and one that even the almighty devs must also follow, but that would mean demanding to the devs that they give up their 'right' to dictate story and development and submit to following a common system that tells them what changes need to be made.

Bottom line, unless the staff will admit to some of these problems and announce they plan major changes, they have what they want and nothing will change here, meaning those of us on the outside will only ever see a game where so much of its potential is lost because greedy players locked it down for themselves. I hate to say it but there is no point for vets to be here anymore unless you're in the minority that's getting what you want.

So if people want this stagnation to end, support adopting a common RP/Battle system, and everyone has to follow the same rules. Imagine a miracle, where suddenly the devs had to defer to a list of things coming to them from GM's, who process actions from players who have earned pre-outlined accomplishments, and didn't make it subject to their personal preferences. Vote on the options for people to take, otherwise, staff should be there to facilitate player actions, not act as a block. Otherwise we are but cerfs in a Devtopia.

An RP system looks like this, we just need to divide up the actions people want to take here into a list of options, and outline what they all entail:

~ Development of Planets (adding bases, physical or inrp)
~Development of Bases (re-activations, changing controlling faction)
~Development of Faction Rights/abilities and Territory
~Adding additional ships/content
~Others?

Those are just examples, there's got to be more. Now consider what it would be like if staff had to follow a list, and follow rules on processing these actions. So, if you look at the list, you' know, if you want to develop a docking ring for a planet, you can get to work on meeting the criteria (that has already been voted on), and once you meet it, you get your base. No voting on each issue, make the decisions by just allowing the options. That way the devs will be staff and not near demigods sitting over everyone else. Its like, you'd have to work for the game to be staff, the actual game happening, not just dev content.

Long story short, what is needed is to end Dev control over story and faction development. But then where's the fun in being staff right? But it comes down to one thing, the staff need to start keeping up with the player activities, and what the players are doing. Making them follow the list, and make changes AFTER commensurate in-game activity or RP has occurred, not before. That's a change years overdue, multiple wars were ruined because of this. And now, people don't bother start anything, they don't bother plan anything big, because they know it'll be ignored. That's not how it should be here. It could be the opposite, and there are plenty of people willing to help keep the ball rolling.

The main problem with development here is that they insist on working major changes in private, well in advance, without considering what is actually going on on the server, and what is being effected there. Battles would happen in wars, and get completely ignored, and on top of that they wouldn't have battles when it risked events going against their intent. Why engineer people's activity like that? You're supposed to act off what the players are doing, not dictate to us and change what happens after the fact. Ok, they did change it so they'd announce 'fixed outcome event' in advance like that made it ok. They didn't get that I was saying it should be stated in advance, not to get them to actually do it, but realize how stupid it is to do it that way. No one from outside this game would ever get how things are done here, and how reality is curbed for the devs, and we players got conditioned and don't even question how they control our reality here, far against sense. Prove me wrong devs! Please!
(02-05-2020, 08:26 AM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps.... You're overly entiteled and should check yourself?

your a real piece of work lol

as for everyone else thank you, you have given me some things to think over.
For me, mining is the most enjoyable content in the game, I can do it whenever. Find your own thing that you can enjoy doing any time of the day.
Also, I see players that have returned doing that same shit they did when they left and will probably get disappointed by the same thing they did before which lead them to leaving Disco.

Try something fresh, something you never did before, who knows... it may just be the excitement you need, and stop worrying about devs doing this and that too much, it ain't healthy.
(02-05-2020, 07:22 PM)Venkman Wrote: [ -> ]For me, mining is the most enjoyable content in the game, I can do it whenever. Find your own thing that you can enjoy doing any time of the day.
Also, I see players that have returned doing that same ***** they did when they left and will probably get disappointed by the same thing they did before which lead them to leaving Disco.

Try something fresh, something you never did before, who knows... it may just be the excitement that need, and stop worrying about devs doing this and that too much, it ain't healthy.

Well said, Venkman.
(02-05-2020, 07:07 PM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2020, 08:26 AM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps.... You're overly entiteled and should check yourself?

your a real piece of work lol

as for everyone else thank you, you have given me some things to think over.

you're *
I've only been here for like a month and a bit, I've heard everything bad under the sun about the devs and even worse still. I've seen some of the logs of what they were doing.

When there is no trust between the community, and those who lead it. Almost nothing will go right, and everyone will cry foul.
Its up to those in charge to change that state of affairs, and while Jayenbee seems like a dev with the right mindset to do it (tbf, he's one of few i've spoken too, so there could be more.), he's only one dude low in the dev hierarchy.

Although I've been told that things are moving into a more positive direction, the fact that this direction was told to me through someone else and not as some announcement of change only make me suspicious it is even happening. And with the recent NDA incident, it does seem to be a generally hostility from the devs towards to players.
I'd also mention, you could argue that the players are hostile. This is true, they can be. However the leadership are responsible for the trust between the community and themselves, they can trash it and see the community they wish to engage in just disappear.
I guess it's sort of a question in the realm of mindfulness. I did enjoy much of my time in disco, it really was worth it. When it stops being fun, don't be ashamed or peer pressured out of asking yourself "why am I doing this if it doesn't bring me joy". There's no grand reward at the end of the line, the only thing you get in return for playing this game is optimally a feeling of enjoying it.
I have fun playing the game with fun people. I don't need to be granted pixel power or imaginary space empires to feel like my time was worth spending. Sure there are things I'd like to change, but realistically every improvement any one of us would make to the mod would have at least 50 other people up in arms about it.

Back when I used to play here, before 2014, player roleplay was taken into consideration significantly less than it is now. Unless you happened to have friends in the right places you had little to no influence over faction development, and certainly none over the story. People were content to play their characters and enjoy the game for what it was rather than every character being a diplomatic mouthpiece with the sole purpose of working towards some tangible gain for the player or their faction.

Now most of those people are gone, and it feels to me like the players most invested in empire building and playing the long game make up a large proportion of the people who have stuck around. Presumably due to sunk cost.

Edit: I made this longer. Sue me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8