Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How is this kind of RP allowed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Well there are activities - you can embargo anyone straying from lanes in Penn not doing helium. Just that - nobody wants to/cares, especially when Insurgency is still being sieged, there are infinite actual unlawfuls and smugglers - the whole story arc seems like a shoe Horned in way to make the system independent on development end.
(07-24-2023, 03:09 AM)Leo Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that's all your opinion. Sorry that you feel that way and it painted me in a bad light in your mind. However, if you block out everyone who has a differing opinion to yours then you're bound to end up alone before you know it.

Doesn't phase me, I've never met you before either. You do you, boo. I'm gonna move on now, enjoy your game time.

Passive-aggressive 'sorry you feel that way!' BS aside, I don't think you could honestly sit there and tell me you'd sign up to be on the receiving end of your roleplay. Again, it's up to you if you want to take the reality check for what it is, rather than just writing it off as me crying about it. I know being flat-out insulting to each other IC and OOC both is basically just par for the course on Discovery these days -- the forums are basically just left to boil and froth until people make enough noise to get things invised en masse every once in a while -- but I genuinely just don't think you've even tried to think about how someone might feel on the other side.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Maybe there are people out there who genuinely look forward to getting hit with a diatribe of what reads like thinly veiled OOC in IC every time they log in on a lawful. It definitely wasn't like that back when I was sinking hours into lawful play, though!
The claim that this is done to make Pennsylvania independent is not true, but what is true is that the event, or rather the things post-event, aren't doing too great. As I said, this was less of a grandiose story attempt to deleted Liberty and more a way for staff to test how much interest there is to do things.

My only critique of it, or rather the lack of any "it", is the fact that the event kind of fell over and died without any real attempt being made to progress what's happened. That, and, well, overall the fact that we still don't have a patch. Sad
Well I will be the first to come out and say Kudos to story if when the dust settles Pennsylvania won't be more independent than when we started - but my lack of interest is kinda there because It seems so very predictable and pre-determined that it will. Why the Zoner side has fun with it while Lawfuls just ignore the thing, apart from having drastically more logical targets and things to do.

Why it's also a bit off putting when the mentioned RP comes up, if Insurgents call you fascists, okay you expect that, but Zoners you roleplayed with and worked with for literal years, in a conflict nobody asked for or needed, when you have various way better points of interests - well no fun/confusing.
I still cannot understand. What's the fundamental problem with someone outraged by an invasion calling invaders and oppressors fascists and being extremely rude to them?
People are notoriously emotional creatures, after all, and they tend to use bold words and make bold claims in the heat of the moment. At times they tend to vent their anger with complete abandon, consequences be damned. It's perfectly in character for your average human being, even more so for "below average" in terms of upbringing.
You just need to improve your mental and learn to separate personal insults and inRP insults. Change your attitude. Don't be an emotional gamer. It's that simple.
(07-24-2023, 07:34 AM)HanCloudstone Wrote: [ -> ]I still cannot understand. What's the fundamental problem with someone outraged by an invasion calling invaders and oppressors fascists and being extremely rude to them?
People are notoriously emotional creatures, after all, and they tend to use bold words and make bold claims in the heat of the moment. At times they tend to vent their anger with complete abandon, consequences be damned. It's perfectly in character for your average human being, even more so for "below average" in terms of upbringing.
You just need to improve your mental and learn to separate personal insults and inRP insults. Change your attitude. Don't be an emotional gamer. It's that simple.

Then read the thread and notice this is not about inRP emotions or insults or grudges. It's about the level of leaks that one character can do that borderlines powergaming and metagaming.
(07-24-2023, 08:06 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Then read the thread and notice this is not about inRP emotions or insults or grudges. It's about the level of leaks that one character can do that borderlines powergaming and metagaming.

My attention was completely misdirected. I apologize.

This makes me wonder if there is some long-term RP that is picking up the pace now through defection. I also wonder if the player has proper long-term goals with this decision in mind as well. The character should be in a very particular state not to simply resign over ethical concerns (it's what I would expect from a navy/military character normally) but burn all bridges like this.
There were people in the Navy she worked with, whom she met every day, who trusted her, who appreciated their friendship and camaraderie together. She doesn't really get to have many of those friends anymore. Perhaps she doesn't get to have a family either, unless she's already a lone orphan. People generally don't appreciate betrayal even if they understand the reasoning.
It's all so curious and sets a certain level of expectations. I wonder if those are lived up to. It must feel like a great deal of pressure for the player as well, to make sure it all ends up a good story. Pretty much like a responsibility to oneself, not just to some random cantankerous people playing the mod.
I'm looking forward to learning how responsible Goddess Astra is with their roleplay.
(07-24-2023, 07:34 AM)HanCloudstone Wrote: [ -> ]I still cannot understand. What's the fundamental problem with someone outraged by an invasion calling invaders and oppressors fascists and being extremely rude to them?

I still don't think it's hard to understand at all, so I'll try one more time to convince you.

Here's the bottom line: like I've already said in this thread, this age-old excuse of "it's just roleplay, grow some skin!" is just as BS today as it was five or ten years ago. I know how to separate IC and OOC; the irony is that I don't think you can sit there and tell me the people flinging that level of vitriol around are doing the same thing. I think it's peak hypocrisy to sit on your high horse and take an attitude like yours when I seriously, seriously doubt you or anyone else in their right mind would volunteer to log into a game only to sit there and read 'fascist, fascist, fascist, kill yourself fascist, fascist' over and over again. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but even based off this one post you don't seem like the kind of person who's got any real interest in aligning with the Liberty side in the context of this event -- and if that's the case, maybe I'm not actually all that surprised you don't empathise with what it might feel like. Even reading it as an uninvolved third party is off-putting.

It's pretty easy to blanket accuse people of being too thin-skinned to handle this tough, serious, gritty roleplay, or whatever you want to try and frame it as. It's a cop-out, though, and frankly it borders on victim blaming. It's a lot harder to pace yourself and approach things with any level of nuance.
(07-24-2023, 03:57 PM)Omi Wrote: [ -> ]I still don't think it's hard to understand at all, so I'll try one more time to convince you.

Here's the bottom line: like I've already said in this thread, this age-old excuse of "it's just roleplay, grow some skin!" is just as BS today as it was five or ten years ago. I know how to separate IC and OOC; the irony is that I don't think you can sit there and tell me the people flinging that level of vitriol around are doing the same thing. I think it's peak hypocrisy to sit on your high horse and take an attitude like yours when I seriously, seriously doubt you or anyone else in their right mind would volunteer to log into a game only to sit there and read 'fascist, fascist, fascist, kill yourself fascist, fascist' over and over again. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but even based off this one post you don't seem like the kind of person who's got any real interest in aligning with the Liberty side in the context of this event -- and if that's the case, maybe I'm not actually all that surprised you don't empathise with what it might feel like. Even reading it as an uninvolved third party is off-putting.

It's pretty easy to blanket accuse people of being too thin-skinned to handle this tough, serious, gritty roleplay, or whatever you want to try and frame it as. It's a cop-out, though, and frankly it borders on victim blaming. It's a lot harder to pace yourself and approach things with any level of nuance.

How do I put it... If this is what I would hear from the opposing side inRP, it would be a sign that my faction was successful as an antagonist. This is literally something to do RP for. Evoking each and every kind of emotional response in all kinds of people.
My friend, treasure this moment, be proud of your faction and, most importantly, keep it up.
Now let's no longer derail a thread devoted to a different issue altogether. If there's something more to be said, this can be taken to a different thread, forum DMs or Discord. Cheers.
(07-24-2023, 04:17 PM)HanCloudstone Wrote: [ -> ]How do I put it... If this is what I would hear from the opposing side inRP, it would be a sign that my faction was successful as an antagonist. This is literally something to do RP for. Evoking each and every kind of emotional response in all kinds of people.
My friend, treasure this moment, be proud of your faction and, most importantly, keep it up.
Now let's no longer derail a thread devoted to a different issue altogether. If there's something more to be said, this can be taken to a different thread, forum DMs or Discord. Cheers.

I don't know what else to say other than that I think you're a genuine sociopath if you consider subjecting someone else to an unpleasant experience to be any kind of success. It's definitely a bold admission to make, that much is for sure!

Please don't call me your friend, though. Based off the way you conduct yourself here, the last thing I want is to be associated with you in any capacity, unless I'm just genuinely failing to understand your point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12