Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The way you are
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
This may start as something of a disjointed rambe or rant or whatever you call it....

Today, I became annoyed. Three times the same thing has happened to annoy me. This is starting to make me think that perhaps there is a problem again.

All these things that annoyed me today have been very simple.

Gankings.

Using overwhealming force in order to win. Now, before you say this post is a whine because I lost a fight. Thats not actualy the case. I was involved in one of thses gankings on the winning side. Or at least I feel like I was.

A large corsair fleet comes to Omicron Eta, and as shoud be the case, a large outcast force responds. Long fight, but in the end the outcasts are winning. I'm there flying my bomber and having a very good time. Until I realise something. There are 15 outcasts trying to shoot down three Titans. I stopped shooting, hit the cruise engines and left. Most people didn't Lohingren cottond on to this and toldf the rest of the RoS to bug out. Good man. However the fact that it got to that stage of the fight without anything thinking, "lets make this fun for the folks who are left" is kinda shocking.

Earlier today, I heard about another incident. An outcast in a sabre in Liberty attacked by a bomber, and a manta. All well and good. Not a problem. The problem comes a little later, when a gunboat comes in as well, and when the outcast who had, up until this point been having a good time suddenly started not having a good time. The responce of the bomber and fighter is the one that concerned me. "Well I can't help it if he wants to claim the bounty".

The third incident is the one that hits me the most really. This has had instant repercussions for the LN, XA, me personally...

Three xenos,... two in bombers, one in an eagle, attacked by a force which contained twice their weight in fighters, some spatials, a gunboat of some sort and a pair of LABC's. Now again. I wasn't directly involved, however I have already felt the effect of how much it pissed the individuals off. This massive force to deal with three xenos contained people I know, people I like, and people I expect better of.

The question it leaves me is this... Why do people want to do that anyway? Winning isn't really all that important. The effect this has on other people's mood, their good times in game, and the knock on effect, whereby their anger gets transfered on to something else, and then that on to something else. Don't you think it's better if the problem just isn't started?

The only reason I can see to use massive force like that is to prevent someone else's fun. What do you gain from winning? Really? Nothing...

What do you gain from giving someone a sporting chance? A war-story, two opponents clapping each other on the back after a fight. A recounting of it with added laughter in skype. Friends. Communication. Understanding. Dignity.

Who cares if you win or lose, so long as getting to that conclusion was fun.

Now I have to deal with the fallout from this for the two factions I run. I have to deal with the fact friends of mine are angry. See that knock on effect? Before you do that kind of thing, just look at the situation.

Are you needed?
Are you in the way?
Do you think that you'd like to be fighting on the other side of the fight?

If the answer is 'no that looks scary' to the last question... Then don't engage. Sit and RP instead. Or quietly wander off, dock, get another ship out and find a fight that way.

I'm tired of hearing about gankings. It shows me that people don't think about other folks gameplay. That consideration doesn't exist and that there people really don't look out for each other. And that brings me down a bit.

So... What are your thoughts Discovery? I want to hear them.

you ask why? i answer you.
for some people is blue death message, with words, was killed by (input name of the winner) more important as everything other...

they dont think about fact, that on the receiving side is someone who will play this game too... they will only blue message.
and best thing that can the receiving side make, is try to run away, or simply ignore them and die...
Everyone will say:

"Ganking is bad."

Whether it will end up in a wall of text or a few sentences, they will still say the same thing.

And yet, it will continue, it will always continue, just like it has been for the last two years. You can hate me for thinking like this, but this is the truth which I accept.
I am tired of them also. When I was in the xeno fight it was 3v3... I died pretty quick due to my rank and all of them on me. Then I logged off pretty much after it. I am usually on the receiving ends of gankings. I had no idea how many were involved after I died though.
This is a sense of fair-play. If you have it, you will honor your "enemie" with respect, and especialy your "friends" by leting them do their stuff, their RP.

Sometimes dying a good death is better than winning at all cost. Respect both sides and all win.
You know what I think about all this, I believe.
But.. I ain't perfect, though. I know I have made mistakes in the past, and I sometimes might even make them now. When I figure out what I am doing, I stop.
But I didn't come here to offer any excuses. I was in that fight, and i was shooting merrily like the rest till I noticed that poor Leadcrows was being jumped by 10 Sabres, and I disengaged. The hero continued to CD me when I tried to cruise, and for that I admire him.

I am sorry though, to have seen that people were happy enough to go along with it all and not say anything, though I didn't say anything either, except for a small commentary, and therefore I blame myself too.

But enough about precise situations, I just wanna say that I agree with all this, and I really hope that the situation improves.

I am sorry though, if I have not been adamant enough in making it very clear to all my so called underlings that if someone does something to you, it does not justify being like that to him, or even worse, to someone else, because you might prejudice that person that he'll gank you.

Let's be friendly, people.
Finaly! someone understands me! I was on my Rouge GB one day, just minding my own bussness, when I notice LN popping in the system.

In the end, 4 Fighter/Bommers 2 GBs and a CRUSIER! Followed me to Alcatraz.

So now the question is...what will we do about it?
Read the post.
Told you my view already.
Don't have to say more, there is no point.
All if have to say is this, when faced with a fight you can't win, don't stick it out, just run.
Here's some food for thought: what would happen if blue msg's were turned off?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16