Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Thoughts That Win
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without." - Siddhartha Gautama.
Attitudes have a kind of inertia. Once set in motion, they will keep going, even in the face of the evidence. To change an attitude requires a considerable amount of work and suffering. The process must begin either in an effortfully maintained posture of constant self-doubt and criticism or else in a painful acknowledgement that what we thought was right all along may not be right after all. Then it proceeds into a state of confusion. This state is quite uncomfortable; we no longer seem to know what is right or wrong or which way to go. But it is a state of openness and therefore of learning and growing. It is only from the quicksand of confusion that we are able to leap to the new and better vision.

~ M. Scott Peck, M.D. , People of the Lie

' Wrote:Attitudes have a kind of inertia. Once set in motion, they will keep going, even in the face of the evidence. To change an attitude requires a considerable amount of work and suffering. The process must begin either in an effortfully maintained posture of constant self-doubt and criticism or else in a painful acknowledgement that what we thought was right all along may not be right after all. Then it proceeds into a state of confusion. This state is quite uncomfortable; we no longer seem to know what is right or wrong or which way to go. But it is a state of openness and therefore of learning and growing. It is only from the quicksand of confusion that we are able to leap to the new and better vision.

~ M. Scott Peck, M.D. , People of the Lie

That's my favorite one so far.
My favorite person to quote is Voltaire...he seems the most insightful and the most clever:

"A witty saying proves nothing."

"All men are born with a nose and ten fingers, but no one was born with a knowledge of God."

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

"All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women."

"As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities."

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game."

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. "

"I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it."

"My dear friend, now is not the time for making enemies." ~Voltaire on his death bed being asked to renounce Satan.

"Tears are the silent language of grief. "

"The mouth obeys poorly when the heart murmurs."
"hakumatata"

frankly. These Africans?
They know how to live their life much better than the average westerner.
"Reputation is rarely proportioned to virtue." - Francis de Sales.
Out of all the possible evils and threats, mankind itself, is it's greatest enemy.

I pray to God that he saves us from at least half of the nutjobs who think they do his bidding.

Very often, the greatest of heroes remain unsung.

I think I thought of these ones, but I might've stolen the second one, just subconsciously, not sure.
Dragons care about as much if you believe in them anymore then if you care if they believe in you.
"The road to tyranny, we must never forget, begins with the destruction of the truth." - Bill Clinton.

"The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything." - Albert Einstein.
I know you. I created you. I have loved you from your mothers womb. You have fled as you now know from my love, but I love you nevertheless and not-the-less however far you flee. It is I who sustains your very power of fleeing, and I will never finally let you go. I accept you as you are. You are forgiven. I know all your sufferings. I have always known them. Far beyond your understanding, when you suffer, I suffer. I also know all the little tricks by which you try to hide the ugliness you have made of your life from yourself and others. But you are beautiful. You are beautiful more deeply within than you can see. You are beautiful because you yourself, in the unique person that only you are, reflect already something of the beauty of my holiness in a way which shall never end. You are beautiful also because I, and I alone, see the beauty you shall become. Through the transforming power of my love which is made perfect in weakness you shall become perfectly beautiful. You shall become perfectly beautiful in a uniquely irreplaceable way, which neither you nor I will work out alone, for we shall work it out together.

~ Known by Dr. Charles K. Robinson, Nov. 4, 1973 (Duke Divinity School Review, Winter 1979, Vol. 44, p. 44).