Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Friends, Rivals and Tenstions: The Summit at Tombstone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
When the summit started, Grachov was already sitting in a spot where he could hear and adress everyone at the same time. Whilist it was a good tactical decision, it wasn't a wise one in the political environment. He was silently admiring the way a strange kusarian girl was provoking the delegates, although he wished she put some professionalism into her methods. Still, he observed the situation and waited for the right moment to speak.
William remained still, expecting there would be some resistance to what he said. He considered not saying anything, thinking that his silence would be best, but ultimately decided against it and answered what he could and looked at the first gentleman who spoke.

I do not know the mind of the Bretonian Government, neither I nor my fellow were informed of these events beforehand, only after the fact. Equally, we do not know the stance of the Cors..Cretian people or the Coalition or Hessians for that matter. What matters, however is that we are here now, you may get caught up on the fact that no one was told sir, but remember, we were not told either.

He then turned to the lady who had approached him and addressed her concerns.

You are correct that there is no article that specifically points out the treaty to be void in the event one party cease to exist. This is because it is self evident, one cannot maintain a treaty with another party when that party no longer exists. As such, it was understood by both the Confederation and the Crown at the time that in the event that one party ceased to exist, the treaty would become void. As it has. While you may not appreciate this, it is a fact that cannot be altered, in the event a new Confederation was formed, the old treaty would not be applicable to that Confederation as it would be identified in Law as a new entity, and thus subject to a new treaty, even if that treaty were identical to the old one. Fear not, however, this is what we are here to discuss.
There is no self evidence in law. There is sloppiness. This is why you document everything. What are you going to try and tell me next? That it is self evident that Bretonia owns this planet now. You do not fill in the blanks with whatever you like.

Facts are only facts in law when it is on paper with signatures. Some supposed verbal agreements mean nothing.
The only thing I see on the paper is that is renegotiated after 10 years. So I ask you mister Steiner. Have the 10 years passed yet?
He looked at her, long and hard, his exhaustion evident and his patience fast running out with arguments based on technicalities and falsehoods

Do not tell me how to do my job, girl
"Then do your job right."
Doc let the delegates talk. He stood in silent attention as he listened but he also remembered how the original treaty was started in much the same way, a Bretonian military presence to claim Planet Sydney as their own. He would know, he was there for the encounter and Doc had a long memory. The law, however, was something he wasn't well versed in. However, this was a Zoner planet and Bretonian law didn't apply here.
He let Megaera finish.
"Sir, William," addressed Doc, "I am no legal mind but this is Zoner space and a Zoner planet and therefore Bretonian law is no more applicable here than would be Liberty, Rheinland, Kusari or Gallic law. As of right now, the Omicron Supply Industries has administration rights over the system. I, as a resident and one who does a lot of work here, takes it upon himself to discuss these concerns. I will say this though, I do not think that you or the Crown is stupid nor will I ever say that. For that reason, I do not think that Bretonia would use force to come here."
Doc scanned the room at all present. He didn't need to say anything else knowing that Bretonia had bigger problems in doing that then some angry Zoners.
He looked back at the Doctor, tired of dealing with the strange Kusarian

Doctor, there is a distinguishing point between De facto control and De Jure Control. You are right, Bretonia does not have legal rights here, but if I may quote the great Ciciro: Inter arma enim silent lēgēs, In times of War, Laws are silent. Now I am more than aware that Bretonia has no legal authority here, or at very least, not as much as it does back at home. But simply saying ''You cannot'' is, unfortunately, not good enough. The Crown believes it can, and if we do not come up with a solution to their liking, it will
Alessa tried interrupting the quickly increasing heat and moved towards Megaera with a cup in her hand.
"I heard you like tea? Give this one a taste." Alessa pleased friendly as usual. It seemed that for the moment the situation cooled down and Alessa moved over to Doc Holliday, who did notes and was reflecting and thinking about the statement of the bretonian representative for some seconds. Turning around she picked up another glass and let it rest in her hand while focussing the crowd and started speaking.
"I see there is a lot emotion into this. Let me introduce myself shortly. I am Alessa Samson, former Professor at the University of Manhattan and member of the Zoner Consensus. I am aware that only a handful person in this room might know our society or myself. With this I am not only specifying the Zoner Consensus. I am specifying the Zoner society in general with this. Alessa switched her focus towards William Steiner and continued in her calm smoothing voice. "Please, let me clear out something in terms of the mentioned treaty Sir William. At this point you seem to suffer a tragic mistake while the bretonian crown suffers a tragic misunderstanding. The Zoner society as it is, is a society based upon non-governmental mechanisms. Based on independence and selfsufficiency. The Council as it was, was a single-appearing body of several administrations through out the Zoner groups. A Zoner government did not sign the treaty. It was the administration of Omega-49 represented by the Council who signed it and this administration is still present right here and right now. Thus the treaty is still active. Looking towards John Alessa saw a small smile in his face. She took a sip of her glass and stepped a step backwards in respect to all present persons.
He looked at the new voice who spoke up and he listened to what she had to say before producing his copy of the treaty of Port Jackson

The text of the treaty specified that it was signed between the Council of Zoners and the Bretonian Government. Regardless of whom they were representing at the time, they signed the document. Therefore, regarding the Law as it is written, with the disbandment of the Council of Zoners, the treaty becomes void and is required to be renegotiated. We do not recognize the administration of this planet to be an equal partner in signing the treaty, the administration of this planet allowed themselves to be represented by the Council but this was not specified in in the treaty at all, therefore the Bretonian Crown was not informed, as such the treaty becomes void on the grounds that you claim you have authority of the council by virtue of governance, we say that due to it not being specified in the document which all parties agreed upon, the treaty cannot be enforced or upheld without a renegotiation. I fear we are going in circles, we do not hold the treaty to be in law, which is why we are here to renegotiate, let us forget the battleship for the time being.
Dankien Moebus approaches, asks for the attention and speaks:

Well... That treaty, as it has just been presented here, seems pretty incomplete to me. I am not an expert, but I would expect break, renew or amendments conditions and clauses.

He looks at the audience.

I won't blame anybody for that, but as a matter of fact, we are stuck with it now.
Bretonia wants to take advantage of it. Ok I get it. Bretonia has good reasons to look for a shelter with the recent blitz of the Gallic navy in New-London.

He turns to the Bretonia delegation.

But, do you really think Bretonia will be welcomed with such an attitude in our home system?
I can't speak for all zoners, but believe me, some of us are willing to help Bretonia in its war effort. I won't say we will fight at your side, but we can certainly bring logistics and supplies. And we already did.

You must realize that sending a warship in our system and then denying the treaty looks pretty bad from a zoner perspective. It actually looks like you intend to colonize omega-49. If so, then you'll understand that you probably deprive Bretonia of an allied.

To me, it is not a matter of laws. It is about how Bretonia will consider its zoner neighbours.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17