Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Uncapping FPS in Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
60 FPS is NOT okay for Freelancer. Well, maybe if you are used to it. But seriously, the mouse lag is horrible with 60 FPS. It's probably the way this game handles the mouse pointer. With 60 FPS, it feels like the mouse is on ice, "sliding" over the target.

And I don't know how high FPS will make your ship "buzzle"...unless you can prove how the netcode of this game correlates to the FPS.
The closer you get to 180+ FPS, the easier it is to aim, and the hard it is for other players to hit you. It causes you to mini-jitter on their screen and/or appear to be somewhere you really aren't, it also makes your enemies more sluggish/less erratic (if they're trying to dodge or good at maneuvering).

If you've been flying above 60 FPS in the past and are enjoying the ability to magically be "good" at PvP/Aiming/Dodging. This is due to the affects of FPS differences on freelancer (although most don't even realize it and think they're PvP pros). A 170 FPS player will have a huge advantage against the more common 60 FPS player, but will have a balanced encounter with other high end FPS players as they do not experience the mini jitters/incorrect model placement/easy aim. 60-180 FPS players will have a VERY hard time against players that force this issue from a problem to a cheat when they force it over 180 FPS, this will make them visibly "Jitter" all over (almost looking like lag, but the cheater will enjoy extremely smooth/straight line moving opponents).

In retrospect, the next time you high end FPS players get into a fight and do well... Just keep in mind, you may have had a mechanical advantage over your opponent, and that you're not really THAT good Wink

Many players are stuck at 60 FPS while others enjoy easier PvP skill because their high end computer makes them harder to hit and gives them easier aim. If it were up to me I'd make everyone have to work with a capped 60 FPS.
First off, do you have any proof for your claims or is it just some "observation" with some added speculation? Have you excluded any internet connection problems in your observation? Is there a dev statement about this? If it is really as bad as you make it out to be, I think it's of interest to the devs, no?

Then, what's a high end PC for Freelancer? The game is almost 10 years old and basically any computer that didn't die of old age already can run it easily above 150 FPS save for the absolute crappiest integrated Intel HD GPUs. And if you have a Radeon GPU, I have shown a way to disable the forced lock on page 3.

Forcing people to have 60 FPS would be a complete turnoff. I think I would stop playing. While it MIGHT be fairer, it will just make the game feel really crappy for anyone who has had higher FPS before. Forcing people to play with mouse lag isn't really the best way. And there is mouse lag with Freelancer and Vsync/60 FPS lock, confirmed by the Freeworlds devs who arguably are the most skilled Freelancer modders out there:

Quote:Before getting to the eye candy, let me quickly talk about mouse lag. I guess almost everybody is familiar with the mouse lag problem that occurs in some games. In almost every case, the laggy/delayed input is to blame on VSync. If you turn VSync off, it solves a lot of the mouse lag problems for many games, including Freelancer.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow/news/fre...orrection2
(12-29-2012, 09:33 AM)Xenosaga Wrote: [ -> ]First off, do you have any proof for your claims or is it just some "observation" with some added speculation? Have you excluded any internet connection problems in your observation? Is there a dev statement about this? If it is really as bad as you make it out to be, I think it's of interest to the devs, no?

Then, what's a high end PC for Freelancer? The game is almost 10 years old and basically any computer that didn't die of old age already can run it easily above 150 FPS save for the absolute crappiest integrated Intel HD GPUs. And if you have a Radeon GPU, I have shown a way to disable the forced lock on page 3.

Forcing people to have 60 FPS would be a complete turnoff. I think I would stop playing. While it MIGHT be fairer, it will just make the game feel really crappy for anyone who has had higher FPS before. Forcing people to play with mouse lag isn't really the best way. And there is mouse lag with Freelancer and Vsync/60 FPS lock, confirmed by the Freeworlds devs who arguably are the most skilled Freelancer modders out there:

Quote:Before getting to the eye candy, let me quickly talk about mouse lag. I guess almost everybody is familiar with the mouse lag problem that occurs in some games. In almost every case, the laggy/delayed input is to blame on VSync. If you turn VSync off, it solves a lot of the mouse lag problems for many games, including Freelancer.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow/news/fre...orrection2

Freelancer (app) is "limited" to 60FPS (with default settings) which is normal. With 180FPS if i turn off V-Sync (always off) my game starts to twitching almost erratically... which is bad.
At 60FPS my game (Freelancer) is good, well actually "smoothly" comparing to 180fps. Also, let me quote something:

Quote:But regarding topics subject, I would like to pin-point crucial matter playing this old game with different FPS.
There is no doubt that players with HIGH FPS have advantage in PvP!
Fighting with 60 fps vs 170 fps player makes for you similar thing like thing called "mouse lag" and that player is significantly faster in turns and avoiding rockets, mines...
When fight is limited to 60 fps for both players (with common.dll hack) that fight cant last longer than 30-40 sec! You in that situation rarely miss cose player is slower and guns hit target!
With FPS rised fight, its longer, faster, more agile, which is wrong! Simply, the physics of the game are spoiled. 60 FPS is a must!

So, to be specific, how can be game limited stable to 60 FPS?

Sry, but adoxa's finding does this, but I must confess that its not working perfectly. Players with good and bad PC specs have same issue. When they join server their FPS drop down to 30 FPS, and when they start recording it rise to 60. Having game below 60 FPS makes laggy feels. In most cases, it works, but when it does not, they lose interest to play a buggy server - mod.

EDIT:
(12-29-2012, 09:33 AM)Xenosaga Wrote: [ -> ]And there is mouse lag with Freelancer and Vsync/60 FPS lock

Well, i have no famous mouse lag with 60FPS and also I know a lot of players who play at 60fps (Freelancer) without any problems.
this is all very interesting. i consider mysellf an ok fighter pvp'er but there are some ships out there i just cant seem to hit no matter what i do. how do i juice up my fps on an intel hd device? there's no option to switch off vsync in the lackluster intel gui but is there some other software out there that can do it?
It's interesting that since this thread is up , suddenly I see a LOT more ''laggers''.
More investigation into this would be a good thing imo.

-someone who doesn't mess with his fps.
Dang. Thought of another aspect of FPS in my first post here. As it is - frames per second. Most LCD monitors can show no more than 60 or 75. Regardless of the video card, CPU etc.

I go with 60 FPS. I have no mouse lag. Game runs smoothly, no delays, no jumping.
There must be a way to fix it without forcing FPS over 60.

Cus, really, now i understand where it comes from. From my point some ships seemed to be moving somewhat.. angularly, light fighterish. Almost same feeling as when i'm trying to hit a strafing Liberator, or vanilla Sabre. Perhaps, just some frames went past my client.
(12-29-2012, 04:31 PM)Sava Wrote: [ -> ]I go with 60 FPS. I have no mouse lag. Game runs smoothly, no delays, no jumping.
There must be a way to fix it without forcing FPS over 60.

Thats the point, its obviously individual and FPS are only part of mouse lag and jittering. As i said before, i had 75 FPS on old monitor and everything was fine, i bought new and got a terrible mouse lag (hell, i didn`t shot a single snub with snac for half a year). There are people who play at 170 FPS and dont jitter at all, and there are people who play at 60 FPS with no mouselag.

I hope that someone will find out how to settle this, cause at this point i can only turn off V-sync...or dont use snubs.
Can anyone explain me what is this mouse lag, cus i don't know? Really. Just curious.
Limiting the frame rate to just under the screen frequency is a common way to reduce input lag without disabling VSync. For example my display is 60Hz, the frame rate is limited to 59Hz (I use Dxtory for that) and the input lag is substantially less than when playing at 60Hz.
Read here for more info:
BF3, Possible VSYNC trick? No input lag + frame sync (no tearing).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7